• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walts, posers & wannabes (merged)

I'm going with "contortionist", she is pretty bendy.

I don't think it is at all fair to give Kiesza a hard time about what other people have said about her.  She's not making outrageous claims, so leave her alone.  If we all spent time correcting every misconception others had of us, we'd never have any time left over to unfairly criticize others.

Pusser said:
I don't think it is at all fair to give Kiesza a hard time about what other people have said about her.  She's not making outrageous claims, so leave her alone.  If we all spent time correcting every misconception others had of us, we'd never have any time left over to unfairly criticize others.

Shes been approached about the blatantly erroneous information and shrugged it off. Lack of integrity but she probably doesn't care since she's filthy rich.

Pusser said:
She's not making outrageous claims, so leave her alone.
But not denying them can sorta-kinda be seen as at least suggesting they're true, no?

milnews.ca said:
But not denying them can sorta-kinda be seen as at least suggesting they're true, no?

The trouble is that although mistakes are often printed on the front page, retractions and corrections are often relegated to to the bottom of page 34.  Even if she wanted to correct the "problem" it likely wouldn't do any good and her publicist likely feels that there are bigger fish to fry.  This is all much ado about nothing.  Most of the other clowns described in this thread are dressing up in the trappings of heroes and publicly and loudly proclaiming their heroism.  She's not doing that.  She's not in their league.

recceguy said:
Why should she do anything? Look at the free publicity you're all giving her.

And I think a certain someone in this thread is jacking up her YouTube views  ;D

I would think that rather than going after her for issues of detail (which were not of her doing) and criticizing any possible "career embellishment" (which I suspect many of us have done either in the bar or around the campfire), we acknowledge that fact that she SERVED at all, and celebrate the fact she credits her service to being a positive force in her life. I can't see any connection between her and some of the utter frauds we are otherwise "outing" on this board. I don't see anything in any of this that would required her to make some sort of public apology or open a vein. Give the girl a break.

OldTanker said:
I would think that rather than going after her for issues of detail (which were not of her doing) and criticizing any possible "career embellishment" (which I suspect many of us have done either in the bar or around the campfire), we acknowledge that fact that she SERVED at all, and celebrate the fact she credits her service to being a positive force in her life. I can't see any connection between her and some of the utter frauds we are otherwise "outing" on this board. I don't see anything in any of this that would required her to make some sort of public apology or open a vein. Give the girl a break.

I think we really are getting wrapped around the axle on this one.  A couple of points:

1.  She hasn't bothered to deny her publicist's and the press releases, so a negative on that one.  Shame on her and let's move on.

2.  There are still Posers and Walts to be found within the military, as we have seen with a certain Colonel, and perhaps someone else in our careers, who have worn Jump Wings or some other qualification that they did not earn.  (In a way, she is one example as well.....Shame on her again.)

3.  Celebrities do tend at times to have egos that do make them make some 'stupid' comments.  Who was it that recently said his job as an actor was harder than that of a Navy Seal?  Again, she is craving celebrity status, so obviously her ego is now in play.

4.  Our memories are, for the most part, short and she will soon fade away from memory.  Shall we move on now?

An interesting tidbit I never knew highlighted ....
A 56-year-old Surrey man who police say admitted to falsely wearing military medals and posing as a veteran at ceremonies won’t be charged after returning the items earlier this month.

Surrey RCMP told 24 hours Thursday that it was brought on to investigate after being contacted by the Royal Canadian Legion “about a male that had his photo taken in a ceremony wearing medals that were probably not his.”

A spokesman said police spoke with both legion and military officials and determined the man was a reservist, but the medals were not his.

Police said it’s likely he “did possibly buy some” of the medals in the past or “borrowed some from friends.” It’s alleged the man “started wearing them, mounting them, and had even been told a few times they weren’t his and he probably shouldn’t be doing that.”

The medals were returned last Tuesday to military personnel, RCMP said.

Charges were not laid because of the statute of limitations for summary offences, police said, which have a limit of six months from the date of the offence ....
vancouver.24hrs.ca, 21 Dec 2014

Yes summary conviction (only) offences have a limitation of action of 6 months from the offence date. This is most often evident in that Provincial Offences usually must be laid (either ticket issued or long form information sworn) in that 6 months. There are some exceptions. BC used to have legislation extending that to 12 months for Provincial Offences.

But very few Criminal Code offences are summary conviction ONLY. 419 CC happens to be one. Most offences are Dual Procedure (others are straight indictable) so charges are not restricted to that 6 month limitation.

Now I may but a simple S/Sgt. But Dec 21 - Nov 11 does not = 6 months by any math I understand. So why no charge? Or at least extra judicial sanction (alternative measure) which are common for first offenders.

A spokesman said police spoke with both legion and military officials and determined the man was a reservist, but the medals were not his.

So this brings a question to mind: did he wear these unearned medals on his CF uniform?

If so, that makes him subject to the CSD, which therefore makes him eligible to have a charge laid against him.

Alberta Bound said:
Now I may but a simple S/Sgt. But Dec 21 - Nov 11 does not = 6 months by any math I understand. So why no charge? Or at least extra judicial sanction (alternative measure) which are common for first offenders.
You're not alone.  When I read the "six months", I guessed it was for some incidents ranging from the summer or so (no earlier than 21 Jun, based on the date of publication), given that my math also indicates Remembrance Day was far less than six months ago, too (42 days between 11 Nov and date of publication).

I don't believe that he is a reservist at this time. I believe he was in the past. The photo on the Internet as well as another (unedited) that I saw from a member on this site shows him in blue blazer, legion crest and medals, jump wings (red leaf), maroon beret, PPCLI cap badge and a U.S. CIB. Besides the 5 medal collection he had on. Quite a unique ensemble.

The photos were from Nov 11 2014. 

I am guessing, but expect that it was felt that the embarrassment to the subject ( just can't squeak out gentleman) and his family (including one associated to the CF) was probably felt to be enough.

I went through this first hand a few years ago where another subject (in his 60s) was appearing at numerous events (with many prominent local people - politicians) as a retired USMC Sgt. He was telling many tales and making himself the centre of attention. When he started talking about his upcoming deployment the red flags went up and after some checks his single engagement (3 years?) time in the US Navy came out. Questions were raised about charges but it was decided by higher authority not to go further. After a couple years of laying low, I saw him again this year in "his"USMC Blues at Nov 11. Less boisterous but still there.

Take a look at this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canadian-or-British-paratrooper-or-SAS-training-/291317032813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d3d9276d

Now the posers could have documentation that may fool the ordinary citizen. Having said this, the only true documentation is a Course Report.
How long before they are up for sale?

Jim Seggie said:
Take a look at this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canadian-or-British-paratrooper-or-SAS-training-/291317032813?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43d3d9276d

Now the posers could have documentation that may fool the ordinary citizen.

And with one sold... :-\

I don't think that is the actual name on the course certificate that was given out at CABC or whatever it is called now?

But, regardless that is pretty sad.  Next will be 'fake coins' or jump logs.

a fighter pilot one would be awesome, but as the Axe commercial says, nothing beats an Astronaut. So that one, I would buy...

Back