• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Walter E.Mejaki, R.C.E. D-Day Veteran

A

Albainn

Does anyone remember Walter Mejaki? He landed in Normandy on D-Day with the Royal Canadian Engineers, and survived the war. I am trying to determine which Engineer unit he was with. Any information will be appreciated.

Not much information here but an intersting letter from Walter
**October 23, 1944
Dear Pauline:
You no doubt, will be very surprised to hear from me, but I do hope it will be a pleasant one. I really don‘t know how to begin, so will begin with a big Hello to everyone, hoping this finds you all in the best of health. Now, much has happened to me Pauline since I last saw you, and since I left the Current, some few years ago. It was OK when the family were there; I used to get all the news of what was going on; since they moved away, I never heard a thing about it, or about anyone. So, I‘ve decided to write you and get a little news. Though I never did drop you a line before, I can well imagine your surprise. I did write to Dolly, only from Canada. I don‘t believe I wrote her since I came overseas. Then I heard her and Barbara took a notion to get married. I‘m still single; close calls sometimes, ha ha. Imagine me getting married, ha ha ha, I can‘t. Anyhow, I hope you receive this note and tell me all the news of late or even years back. It will be all news. I use hear from Craig, but he also quit writing a year or so ago, and a few others quit from around there, gosh it seems everyone forgets you when you come away.
I‘m writing from what I‘d describe as a ghastly little town in Holland, not hardly a building left standing, or any signs of living. It has taken a pounding from both sides. Yes Pauline, I am now in action against the common enemy, the blasted Germans. I have been all summer now. I came in the first day of the invasion, 6th day of June ,1944, long to be remembered. It was first I saw action and believe me, I saw plenty that day, and many days since. I‘ve been in a few real ‘hot spots‘ but Walter is still alive. Thank the good Lord I‘m safe and am praying I get through OK to get back and see the old Current I left so long ago, it seems. How I can well remember it though. I think of more these hard days on the battle field, though I never did forget it. How are all the boys here from home doing? I saw Bud Hilson and Orton Michey once in England, but no other. Gosh Bud surprised me. I nearly fell over, why, I didn‘t even know he was in the army, honest I didn‘t.
Especially, how have you all, at home, been getting on? Where did Dolly and Barbara settle down. Also where is Em, give them all my best, when you see or write them, also my personal regards to your mum, also remember me to everyone I know. How is Eddy getting along? Say, is Elgin Aelicks still around? If so, say Hello to him and tell him I was asking about him. Tell him to have his car running, in good condition. I‘ll want him to come to Halifax and meet me, when we finish off these Jerries here. Yes, I‘ve seen a lot, I cannot take time to tell you everything, but if you keep writing I will tell you bit by bit, you will get the general idea of how I have been spending the last couple of years. It‘s been most exciting this summer, of all days. Plenty hot sometimes, especially when shells and bullets flying all over; bombs, now and again. I don‘t like to speak of war when I am writing; I want to forget about it. I‘m seeing enough, seeing enough now as it is, it‘s not the nicest place in the world to be, but then, it‘s a soldier‘s life and duty. This is what I joined up to do, and trained so hard for; I‘m making the best use of everything and must say getting on nicely. I had a Wireless Operator‘s course in England, that is now my job, I get on nice with it. It does get monotonous at times, especially if communications are poor.
Well Pauline, I‘ll finish off with just a few lines about the countries I‘ve seen, well to begin with, I saw England over Dover, was to Scotland four or five times, London was my hangout, nice place to have fun.
Now for this continent-I‘ve come all the way across France from West to East, didn‘t pass by Paris though. It sounds nice to say, but it wasn‘t too nice to do. We had a lot of hard fighting, some of the bitterest of the fighting took place in France. I then came to Belgium, wasn‘t many hard days there compared to France. Well then I came on to Holland. Of all countries, I think only in my opinion, Belgium is a really nice country. Heavily populated, but so clean and nice in spite of a few ruins caused by war. It‘s quite nice. It didn‘t suffer as much as other places and the people are most friendly and highly educated. I wish I could speak the language. Some pretty females about, but then, I have no time for women these days. I‘ll make up for it when I get back somewhere I can understand the lingo. As one guy said, "Long time no she," ha ha ha. You don‘t find many people here who speak English. The Germans were sure strict on anyone speaking English, they immediately interned them, I hear. The speak Belgium and German, most, if not at all. Well one, I guess, could learn a language in four years.
Well, I‘m afraid this is me. Please write and give me all the news of the old home town. I‘ll be happy on hearing from you. I always look forward to mail days, all one lives for out here. Regards to all, good night and God Bless You. Write soon.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all, if I don‘t get a chance to send a card.
Love
Walter Mejaki
:cdn:

These are the RCE units that landed at Juno Beach June 6th 1944

5th Canadian Field Coy RCE :
6th Canadian Field Coy RCE : Major Murphy
16th Canadian Field Coy RCE :
18th Canadian Field Coy RCE :

:cdn:

Back