• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Volunteering Abroad - Impact on Getting in the CF?

foxtrot

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm currently going through the process of applying to RMC under ROTP and I've been given the opportunity to volunteer in Jamaica through my school for two weeks in March, including the March Break. I was just wondering if the CF would deny my application because I am/could be volunteering abroad.

The only reason I ask about this is because I read about someone who had Security clearance issues on here because their sibling was teaching English in Japan and am now worried that I might have issues too. I can see why volunteering abroad might be a problem (sympathetic to another country) but want clarity before I say no to this offer to go abroad.

I do think that it would be a good leadership experience, I will be in a classroom or at an orphanage and think that might be a good thing about going abroad so yeah, I'm really confused now.

Thanks for your help!

A two week trip to Jamaica isn't going to affect your application in a negative manner unless you decide to indulge in some of the *cough* indigenous flora. The fact that it's a volunteer trip would only increase the likelihood of your application going through, in my humble opinion.

The issues you mentioned with regards to people's clearances being delayed due to themselves or immediate family having lived aboard are mainly due to the difficulties in getting information of out the local authorities that would, in Canada, normally be performed by the RCMP or CSIS. Since you won't actually be living in Jamaica, just visiting for two weeks, these checks shouldn't be an issue. Or at least, not as much of an issue.

I volunteered in a number of countries throughout Central America and Africa and it didn't hamper my enrolment. In fact, as was previously stated, it was noted that my volunteer experiences abroad helped me in my application as an Officer.

Good luck!

Back