• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release Questions

Journeyman said:
And hoping he doesn't spend his remaining time trash-talking the military or otherwise becoming an admin/disciplinary burden; some employers like loyalty, maturity....and a clean record on his way out.

Why not just let him go then  ?  He doesn't want to be here and there is no shortage or people who want his position.  I'm willing to bet he regrets his decision after spending a while drilling.

Halifax Tar said:
Why not just let him go then  ?  He doesn't want to be here and there is no shortage or people who want his position.  I'm willing to bet he regrets his decision after spending a while drilling.

Because how do you in good conscience say no to the next guy and the guy after that??

hamiltongs said:
Hope he enjoys his remaining year and a half in the army!

But the thing says:

Infanteer said:
for a period of three years commencing from the date of enrolment

So he was at BMQ 1 Nov 2010 (meaning he was enrolled by then), so wouldn't that mean if he submits his VR now he should be allowed to leave come Nov 2013 as long as he's given that 6 months notice?

Or am I missing something?

Journeyman said:
And hoping he doesn't spend his remaining time trash-talking the military or otherwise becoming an admin/disciplinary burden; some employers like loyalty, maturity....and a clean record on his way out.

well I'm sure his new employer will do a reference check on his previous employer >:D

Hmm

You know I thought that you got *more* money over the length of time one was with the military...you know through raises, promotions, stuff like that. 

Guess quick fixes are all the in now adays. 

Danjanou said:
well I'm sure his new employer will do a reference check on his previous employer >:D

Know for a fact that one of his present employers is aware and I'm sure he will continue to be a productive member of his unit until such time as his VR is approved and eventual release date arrives should that remain his desire.  :nod:

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Because how do you in good conscience say no to the next guy and the guy after that??

Why would you want too ?  Forcing people, in this environment in particular, to stay is of no real value to either party involved.  The last thing a unit needs is one more disgruntled morale killer to walk around like a cancer for 6 months.  Just because 1 troop releases doesn't mean a whole Btn of PPCLI will suddenly revert to nil strength. 

I could understand holding a member for 6 months or for a TOS completion if we were in a period of mass mobilization or having big recruiting troubles but other than that just let the kid go. 

IMHO feel free to disagree.

My theory is it's easier to keep Genie in the bottle than to try and stuff her back in.........................

It's all about money!!!  If the CF is going to spend tens of thousands of dollars on training, not to mention the time and effort, they want to get something out of the investment.  So in the end, your first TOS is basically an obligation on your part for having accepted a job offer.  Which is not an unreasonable term.  There are pitfalls to this but that is just the way the system works.

From a private sector perspective, why would an employer hire you and train you, only to have you quit shortly after?

In this case, the individuals CoC (ie; Pl Sgt/WO) should have counselled them better or passed them off to someone who is more familiar with employment policies.  That should have nipped this in the bud before a formal request was even submitted.

They have about 10 months to go on their current TOS, so they should have already been offered additional TOS which all they need to do is decline.  Then......go look for work elsewhere, that way at least they know when they will be available for employment.

I'd say pretend you're gay but it's not 1993.

I think your best option us to put your head down, shut your mouth and do your time. The louder you complain the more attention you'll attract and the possibility your chain of command will give you all the shit jobs for the next year and a half will increase.

Halifax Tar said:

The amount of time it takes to fill his spot could take a while. If a rifle company looses a couple of new soldiers here and there it effects the integrity of the section and then the platoon. With soldiers missing training for a myriad of reasons every pair of boots count.

Lots of young soldiers also get disenchanted and want to leave the CF for a new better paying less bullshit job only to turn around and tie up the system trying to get back in.  Mean while a young platoon commander is loosing training leading his 12 man platoon around the training area.

Halifax Tar said:
Why not just let him go then ?  He doesn't want to be here...
iii-rsm.jpg

SERGEANT MAJOR: Don't stand there gawping like you've never seen the Hand of God before! Now, today, we're going to do marching up and down the square! That is, unless any of you got anything better to do. Well?! Anyone got anything they'd rather be doing than marching up and down the square?!

And yes, while there is no shortage of people who want his position, there is a significant shortage of people who are currently trained and qualified for his position.  There is a difference.

Good day all,

I have been searching the forums for a bit here and in my research I can only find older information on releasing from the CF. I have been in for over 5yrs now and as anyone knows policies change and regulations follows behind it.

So here goes my inquiry. I am filling out the paper work for a VR, handing it in this November(2013). Now from what I gather, a member loses a lot of benefits when releasing this way. What benefits, I don't know and that is what I am trying to figure out.

Is it the free move back to the area of recruitment?
Can I take part of my pension when releasing this way? 
Is there anything else I may want to consider while releasing that I would normally receive when my contract is up? PS I have 4years left and no I would rather not ride them out. (Personal reasons).

If anything can help out with this issue that would be great.

andrewkw08 said:
.......... PS I have 4years left and no I would rather not ride them out. (Personal reasons).

As you are going to be breaking your "contract", you may not be elligible for anything other than a handshake and "thanks for coming out".  Best advice would be to visit the Release Section and have them tell you what you are entitled to.

George Wallace said:
Best advice would be to visit the Release Section and have them tell you what you are entitled to.

Solid advice right there!

George Wallace said:
  Best advice would be to visit the Release Section and have them tell you what you are entitled to.

That's the only advice you can take to the bank.

Anything else here would be nothing other than speculation.

You should also check with the BPSO office to see when their next SCAN seminar is. I believe SCAN is a briefing for anyone thinking about releasing, and covers every topic.

Good day everyone..

I am in the process of a 6 month release. I have a few questions that hopefully a knowledgeable member can answer.
I am still "single" and use LTA (Leave Travel Assistance) each year to visit home. Am I still eligible to receive this, though I am releasing as of August 2014? **I know I cannot take the leave on "retirement", it would be a few months before.

Yes, I have asked the clerks at my unit. No they could not give me a viable answer. They stated I could apply/receive LTA but during my release-audit they could claw it back. Not a responsible answer from them nor would that be a smart choice on my part.

andrewkw08 said:
Good day everyone..

I am in the process of a 6 month release. I have a few questions that hopefully a knowledgeable member can answer.
I am still "single" and use LTA (Leave Travel Assistance) each year to visit home. Am I still eligible to receive this, though I am releasing as of August 2014? **I know I cannot take the leave on "retirement", it would be a few months before.

Yes, I have asked the clerks at my unit. No they could not give me a viable answer. They stated I could apply/receive LTA but during my release-audit they could claw it back. Not a responsible answer from them nor would that be a smart choice on my part.

If you are eligible, you can claim LTA "once" per fiscal year.  The fact that you are releasing, has no impact.

Back