• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Voluntary Release Questions

I am on course in Wainwright, AB and from I have seen,  he could be home in a month or it could be 6 months.  There is no time set in stone so he just needs to be patient.  At least he is still getting paid so he is still "employed"

Resurrecting an old thread because the name fits the information.

My youngest was sworn in today. (artillery) He was informed that as of now you will not be allowed to VR until week 5. This should get most people over the trauma of change they are going to go through.....

GAP said:
Resurrecting an old thread because the name fits the information.

My youngest was sworn in today. (artillery) He was informed that as of now you will not be allowed to VR until week 5. This should get most people over the trauma of change they are going to go through.....

That's good to hear. First few weeks are the worst. Maybe this will help them realize it's not that bad and they will continue on.

CFAO 15-2 paragraph 36 states:

"A member who requests voluntary release while undergoing recruit
training will have the request granted no later than the completion of that
training.  A reasonable period to allow for counselling and administration
may precede release action."

The 5 weeks rule is good, I can't believe it was not put in place earlier.

My friend just graduated from BMOQ, when he started last May he was told that no one could VR before the first 5 weeks... but he said that he saw a couple of his teamates VR during that period anyway... so obviously some exceptions were made... medical reasons, mental health issues, personal problems, illness in the family... etc... From what I heard this rule is still very flexible.

I looked around forces.ca and around the forum but couldn't find the answer I was looking for. Im an ncm reserve, I finished bmq this summer and have been going to my unit regularly, however due to several reasons, I am not able to commit myself to the CF, as my education is being effected , and I consider my top priority right now is to get my diploma. I am considering applying for a VR (voluntary release). On forces.ca I read that I must server for at least 3 years before I can apply for a VR. I am wondering if this is true or it applies to a certain condition I may have missed reading the info, and in my case where I really dont have any training or qualifications other then my BMQ, is there an approx time that the VR takes? (if I even am allowed to VR )

As a Reservist, you are not required to serve for three years.  Tell your Section Commander you need to release and ask to speak with the Orderly Room to have the paperwork started.

Whatever you do, don't get caught in the trap of not parading (i.e., becoming Non-Effective Strength (NES)) and having the unit track you down to manage your release.

Just to add alittle, hav you thought of applying for ED & T?  Basically it is an authorized period of absence from your unit for reasons exactly like you are in, where you don't train but don't go NES either. 

If you do decide to leave the Reserves for some time, you might also consider training to the Supplementary Reserve, which would allow you to keep your qualifications for a certain time, if you have the intent of coming back to the PRes after your college is done.  This allows you to keep your current qualifications for a certain time frame.

Both are options you could search for more info on this site and speak to your CoC about.

As a Reservist you should be going in to talk to your Chain of Command, not searching forces.ca.  A vast majority of Reservists are students, and all face periods where their studies must take precedence.  Explain your situation and see what options can be developed to accommodate your situation.  There are numerous options other than Release or being NES.  You could be put on ED&T, a Supp List, or have an arrangement that you parade once or twice a month to keep up with your peers. 

Talk to your Chain of Command.

And a unit CO can only authorize a short period of ED&T IIRC

NFLD Sapper said:
And a unit CO can only authorize a short period of ED&T IIRC

I believe he can grant up to six months.  Longer periods can be granted, under extenuating circumstances, with the proper documentation, by the Area Comd.

Thought it was 90 days, anything more needs to go higher.

Will check tomorrow or tuesday......

EDIT TO ADD

According to A-PM-245-001/FP-001 Chapter 19, Annex A
Application for Exempt DUTY and Training (ED&T)

Part 3 – Commanding Officer’s Approval/Recommendation
With respect to the member’s application (cross out non applicable information and substantiate a lack of approval or recommendation):
I approve / I do not approve the ED&T as requested (maximum of 90 days)

I recommend / I do not recommend approval of the ED&T as requested (over 90 days)

Comments (as applicable): 
        () 
Date  Commanding Officer’s Signature  Phone Number
Part 4 – Next Immediate Higher HQ Approval/Recommendation
With respect to the member’s application (cross out non applicable information and substantiate a lack of approval or recommendation):
I approve / I do not approve the ED&T as requested (maximum of 180 days)

I recommend / I do not recommend approval of the ED&T as requested (over 180 days)

Date  Appropriate Commander’s Signature  Position Title
Part 5 – Area HQ or Equivalent Approval/Recommendation
I approve / I do not approve the ED&T as requested (maximum of 365 days)

I recommend / I do not recommend approval of the ED&T as requested (over 365 days)

Date  Appropriate Commander’s Signature  Position Title
Part 6 – Commander of Command’s Approval
With respect to the member’s application (cross out non applicable information and substantiate a lack of approval):
I approve / I do not approve the ED&T as requested (excess of 365 days)

Date  Commander of Command’s Signature 

The 5 weeks rule is good, I can't believe it was not put in place earlier.
That is a good idea. The first day into my basic, some poor sap decided to bend over and tie his shoe laces on the parade square...during drill. The resulting jacking was pretty crazy. He got spooked and submitted his VR that night. Couple days later he deeply regretted it, but they already took his VR. I could not believe they would not give him some more time to calm down....mind you, I have seen a lot of ridiculous things like that in the army since then.

Pieman said:
That is a good idea. The first day into my basic, some poor sap decided to bend over and tie his shoe laces on the parade square...during drill. The resulting jacking was pretty crazy. He got spooked and submitted his VR that night. Couple days later he deeply regretted it, but they already took his VR. I could not believe they would not give him some more time to calm down....mind you, I have seen a lot of ridiculous things like that in the army since then.

And someone else might describe as ridiculous the possible alternative of "thanks for your VR memo, but the rules say you have to remain with your course for the next two weeks, just in case you change your mind."

It doesn't matter what rules are established, someone will think they're ridiculous.

I handed in a VR memo to my chain of command (don't flame, I did my time, I need to release for very good reasons)

The memo is addressed to my CO, I handed it in and my WO told me the SSM told him to wait a couple of weeks before handing it in!? Because something has to come down from the RSM about the vr's sicne theres been so many recently.

I leave in a couple days for the field and i don't want my memo left behind only to be put in a month later and told to rewrite it cuz the dates are wrong!
what can i do about this, I have heard once youn hand it in it's suppose to be a 72 hour turn around?

any advice would be greatly appreciated

From what I can remember, the only memos that have a "set in stone" timeline for turnaround are those that deal with harassment-type complaints, or those that go to the CF Ombudsman.  Unfortunately I don't have access right now to the DIN.

One thing that a former colleague of mine did though is submit a memo as you would, then use it as the reference for a follow up memo several weeks later.  In his situation it went from "Write it all over again" to "oh, we found it, you'll have a response shortly".  I'm not saying it will work for your case, but it could be a viable option.

Memo?  We don't have any memos!  We don't need no stinking memos!

I'm not surprised that many soldiers initiate the release process by writing a memo that also outlines their reasons and said memo wends its way up the chain being picked apart by various and sundry who have little idea about what their role in the process should be (which by the way, is usually nothing).  CFAO 15-2 is (I believe) still the applicable reference,  Annex A deals with specific release policies, including VRs and includes this statement.

45.  Except when completing a fixed period of service, a member who
requests voluntary release must do so by application in the form shown at
Appendix 3

I used the form at Annex A, Appendix 3 (it is reproduced locally i.e. photocopied/printed out) twice during my military career.  The first time was when I retired from the Reg Force transferred to the Reserves and again when I left the PRes.  Neither time did I write a memo, simply completed the applicable portions of the form and submitted it to the Adjutant (which may differ depending on the rank/unit of the person submitting the release request).  In my case, I verbally told my CO beforehand the first time and the second time discussed it with the Brigade Commander (I was CO of my reserve unit at the time).  While I can't comment on the machinations that go on in your unit in regards to (what are in my opinion) totally superfluous memo writing, unnecessary delays imposed by poor staff work on the part of your unit leadership should not be grounds for delaying your release.

While you may not be eligible for immediate (30 days notice) release, I'll assume that you have completed the requisite three years and have no obligatory service committment.  If so then you should be governed by this paragraph.

RELEASE -ENROLMENT ON OR AFTER 1 JAN 82

39.  A member, except those serving under ROTP, MOTP, DOTP, or DITP, who
enrols, re-enrols or transfers into the Regular Force on or after 1 Jan 82,
and requests voluntary release, will not normally have that request
approved, except during a period of recruit training as specified in
paragraph 36 of this annex, for a period of three years commencing from the
date of enrolment unless compassionate circumstances exist.  Subject to the
requirement to complete the initial three year period of service, a member
must submit that request at least six months in advance of the preferred
date of release or the commencement of terminal leave whichever is earlier.
Subject to deferral for a military requirement, as prescribed in paragraph
44 of this annex, the request will normally be approved to be effective on
the date requested
.  Should military and personal requirements be
compatible, the six-month period of notice may be reduced by the approving
authority at NDHQ.

You are correct - the memo is not enough to initiate the release process. What I did was write a memo and attach it to the Request for Release. Two birds with one stone as it were.

damien3144 said:
I handed in a VR memo to my chain of command (don't flame, I did my time, I need to release for very good reasons)

By did your time, do you mean your contract is almost running out? Are you trying to release ahead of said contract running out? If you can spare the time, just let the IE run out and you're free and clear.

damien3144 said:

any advice would be greatly appreciated

Without more info, we can't provide advice.  Specifically, when you say "I did my time", well, how much time do you have in?  That would help immensely...

Back