• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Vision Questions Megathread, Categories, Problems etc.

You failed the vision test but want to know if you'll get in the reserves? I think you answered your own question.

Failed as in: "you'll need to go see an optometrician to see if you are fit for duty"
The medic gave me a sheet to be filled out by the optometrician and these are my results. The optometrician himself said to me that apart from light myopia my eyes are perfect.

Wow way to be a dick I just said english isnt my first language
Freakin eye doctor what do you want me to say

Curious to know what the Night Vision (not the kind that takes batteries) requirment is for the CF? It is not listed on the Vision Catagory as a criteria, but it is listed on the LASIK/PRK (Refractive Surgery) post op form.

More specifically, I am curious to know if recruits who go through with normal, non corrected (laser or othrwise)
vision are tested or asked about this?

I understand it in terms of Laser eye surgery, as it can be a side-effect, however, I've known some guys who couldn't find there a$$ with there own hand in the dark but had eagle eyes in the day time.

You have to be able to identify darkness without assistance or mechanical aids.

8)

Is there a maximum for myopia in the canadian forces ? Let's say you had a very bad vision, and then you get operated, with a very good vision at the end. Can the cf turn you down by saying that your vision was too bad before you were operated ? I'm like in the -9 range with my glasses on, and in the -8 range when I wear contacts.. But passed a "test" with tlc couple of years ago, and was said that I have more than needed cornea tissue ( is it the good word for it ? ) to get operated. My eye doctor telled me than in reality you have to pass more tests to really determinate if you're a good candidate or not... I hope TLC was right.. I'm asking this because I searched a little bit about the french army (was interested by it, got both nationalities), and it is actually a criteria, you can't have lower than -8 myopia even if you were operated and that your vision is perfect now.

I wasn't able to find any answer like this regarding the cf policy..

This document should be able to help you out: http://www.forces.gc.ca/health-sante/pd/cfp-pfc-154/AN-A-eng.asp

That said, a talk with the medical staff at a CFRC is usually your best bet for all questions medical.

I guess the advent of NVG's has made being able to see at all in the dark a bit redundant. :p

Just want to mention in this thread that I did LASIK last year. My eyes were -4.25. I have had no problems while swimming, getting shampoo in my eyes, or with hurting my eye. I'm glad I did it, everything looks HD vision to me, night vision is great (no halos), and best part is my eyes were corrected to 20/15.

I would definitely do it, and they have a good financing plan. One of my best investments in life so far.

I'm having trouble understanding what category I fall into with uncorrected eyes, left one being 20/12 and the right being 20/100. Thank you.

Hussars said:
I'm having trouble understanding what category I fall into with uncorrected eyes, left one being 20/12 and the right being 20/100. Thank you.

Even using the charts contained in the first post in this thread?

At the bottom of the first post of this thread is a conversion from the 20/20 to 6/6. 

You are more than likely a V2 with your left eye 20/12 =6/6 (actually better than 2020 vision)  Your right eye 20/100 =6/30.  With your good eye then your bad eye compared on the chart this would leave you a V2 category.  Assuming that the numbers you gave us are correct.

Kirsten

I'm so very sorry if i am not allowed to post this here. I'll post in the proper section if needed.

I just did my eye exam to fill out the Visual Acuity 'non aircrew' that the medical staff gave me. Here are the results

Uncorrected Vision: Right 6/6
                    Left: 6/9

Best Corrected Vision: Right: 6/6
                        Left: 6/9

Manifest Refraction: Right Sphere +0.50
              Left Sphere: +1.25 / CYL -0.50 / AXIS 110

I tried looking at this chart found here http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/31590.0.html

GRADE BETTER EYE Uncorrected OTHER EYE Uncorrected BETTER EYE Corrected OTHER EYE Corrected
V1 6/6 up to 6/9 N/A N/A
V2 up to 6/18 up to 6/18
OR 6/6 6/9
up to 6/12 up to 6/30
V3 up to 6/60 up to 6/60 6/6 6/9
V4 Worse than 6/60 Worse than 6/60 6/9 6/60

on the Enrollment Medical Standers but i don't understand it too much.

Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

I read it as you're a V1, possibly a V2 at worst - and if you're wearing glasses, they aren't doing you any good.

So V1 V2 V3 are good V4 and V5 is bad right? because most combat occupations are V2-3 so i qualify?

ComplexR3TRO said:
So V1 V2 V3 are good V4 and V5 is bad right? because most combat occupations are V2-3 so i qualify?

If the trades you're looking at require V2 or V3, then you should be good to go.  Well, to join the line waiting at the door, anyways.

Back