• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Van attack in Toronto [Merged]

whiskey601 said:
We could give her some useful information, like the fact that it was apparent to recruits that he should not have been there, and he had the presence of mind to ask to be released.  And we all know the first 3-4 weeks of Basic are a pretty intense period. So here is a guy that pulls back under stress, withdraws, keeps to himself, cannot focus enough to perform elementary personal housekeeping duties. Obviously not a fit, but many Canadians aren't. I don't know how it is now, but it used to be you could not wash out of basic except for serious injury, threat to the safety of self or others, or nervous shock.  As for using his serial number, we'll that's the identity the machine gives you at day one. You never forget it. I think the guy is a lunatic killer, that doesn't mean the CAF had anything to do with his problems.
When I was there a few years ago, a lot of people washed out when they decided it wasn't for them, some a few days in, some a week before graduation.

That's my understanding of things as well. I was in Cornwallis for basic. It was different rules then in many respects.

Regarding on-scene operations. Although in Toronto, it was close to the York Region border.

York Region paramedics responded, and were of great help to Toronto.
https://twitter.com/TorontoMedics/status/988790418023354371

The fact that it was about 8 km from the scene to a Level 1 trauma centre also helped.

mariomike said:
All I know about CFAT and trade assignment is what I read on here. But, it reminds me of a couple of discussions merged into our CFAT mega-thread,

What do you need to get on the CFAT for Infantry Trade?

CFAT Scoring? Minimum for Reg force Infantry?

Whatever it is, this guy was clearly not up to it.

mariomike said:
All I know about CFAT and trade assignment is what I read on here. But, it reminds me of a couple of discussions merged into our CFAT mega-thread,

What do you need to get on the CFAT for Infantry Trade?

CFAT Scoring? Minimum for Reg force Infantry?

Being assigned to the infantry simply based on CFAT scores is a bit of a twist of words I think - seen folks that could have had anything and got infantry because they asked for it.  You can't be dumb these days "and only qualify for the infantry" (IIRC, you actually need some pretty decent CFAT scores to qualify for the infantry) and can't be a total sociopath and qualify for the infantry either - quite the opposite.  I've medically examined people that qualified for infantry on the CFAT but I found to be borderline psychopathic or so emotionally blunted/immature to the point of where they'd be a risk to themselves and those around them on their own side, much less the enemy.  I'd be more interested to see how his personality test and PSel interview went, as well as what was written on the medical screening from a psych/behavioural point of view.

:2c:

MM

A little trivia regarding the call volume during the 2 hours and 15 minutes surrounding the attack.

873 calls were received for the attack alone. Call receivers spoke to 1206 people.

Not sure if that was a record for a single incident in the city. But, it is hardly surprising to read of citizens complaining the 9-1-1 lines were jammed when they attempted to call it in. 

Given that he was apparently a proficient computer programmer, I would guess he probably did pretty well on his CFAT. I’m curious why it was that infantry appealed to him...

Brihard said:
I’m curious why it was that infantry appealed to him...
Given his 'incel' claims, probably the Starship Troopers' shower scene....and the hopes of at least seeing  a naked woman.    :nod:

Journeyman said:
Given his 'incel' claims, probably the Starship Troopers' shower scene....and the hopes of at least seeing  a naked woman.    :nod:

Careful, we might inadvertently bring this back to and stoke the flames of anti-immigration sentiment... “Service guarantees citizenship!”

mariomike said:
A little trivia regarding the call volume during the 2 hours and 15 minutes surrounding the attack.

873 calls were received for the attack alone. Call receivers spoke to 1206 people.

Not sure if that was a record for a single incident in the city. But, it is hardly surprising to read of citizens complaining the 9-1-1 lines were jammed when they attempted to call it in.

I have no doubt all of TPS's 911 trunk lines were taken up with this. Their call volume is insane compared to ours in the Niagara Region. Were just above 69k calls for the year so far, they were at over half a million last time I spoke to one of their calltakers.

Some updates ...
... and this from someone who's been down the incel road explaining how folks get sucked into (radicalized by?) such a movement - also attached if link doesn't work for you.

Attachments

• cracked.com-6 Ways You Can Get Sucked Into The Incel Trap.pdf
    48.8 KB · Views: 66
The latest ...
The man accused of murdering 10 people and injuring 16 by driving a van into pedestrians on Yonge St. in April 2018 appeared in a Toronto courtroom Monday (27 May 2019) at the start of pretrial motions ahead of his trial next year.

Alek Minassian faces 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.

The content of the pretrial motions, which often deal with issues like the admissibility of evidence, are under a routine publication ban intended to protect Minassian’s fair-trial rights and avoid the tainting of the jury pool with prejudicial information. The publication ban expires at the conclusion of Minassian’s criminal trial.

Around 20 friends and family of the people killed or hurt on April 23, 2018, attended the court hearing Monday.

During the hearing, Minassian sat hunched over in the prisoner’s box making notes.

His trial is scheduled to begin February.
More @ link

Some of the latest ….

… and a very short & sweet piece in the Toronto Sun, shared under the Fair Dealing provisions of Canada's Copyright Act …
Alek Minassian joined the Canadian Armed Forces in 2017, hoping to join the infantry — the army’s go-anywhere, whatever-it-takes, combat soldiers. About two weeks after applying, he found himself at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in St. Jean-sur-Richeliu, Quebec.

“I was interested in learning how to use weapons, specifically large guns, such as assault rifles,” he told a police detective a few hours after being arrested for the bloodiest terror attack in Toronto’s history.

He was not a good soldier. Senior military officers told the Sun Minassian was an “unexceptional” candidate. He wasn’t great, he wasn’t horrible, he wasn’t particularly memorable. “No red flags,” one officer noted.

“It was basically, a quick training withdrawal.” He just wasn’t a good fit with army life — and he felt it too.

Minassian asked to be released from the military 16 days into basic training — at which point, he would have spent most of his time learning how to wear a uniform, polish boots, make his bed, march in formation and the basics of military law, rank, saluting and tradition.

Teamwork is the foundation of everything and, always, physical training. He did not receive weapons or combat training of any kind.

“Unfortunately, I never made it far enough in my basic training to use guns,” Minassian told the police detective who interviewed him after the 2018 van attack.

milnews.ca said:
… and a very short & sweet piece in the Toronto Sun, shared under the Fair Dealing provisions of Canada's Copyright Act …
. . . About two weeks after applying, he found himself at the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School in St. Jean-sur-Richeliu, Quebec . . .

Wonder what his secret was to such quick processing, the recruiting boards are filled with individuals who want to know.

Blackadder1916 said:
Wonder what his secret was to such quick processing, the recruiting boards are filled with individuals who want to know.

Well, he obviously didn't need to clear it with the girlfriend.

Brihard said:
Well, he obviously didn't need to clear it with the girlfriend.

Attachments

• bazinga.jpg
    bazinga.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 81
"I was interested in learning how to use weapons, specifically large guns, such as assault rifles,” he told a police detective a few hours after being arrested for the bloodiest terror attack in Toronto’s history.

Deadliest attack of any kind ( terror or non-terror ) in Toronto's history.

The latest
The man responsible for Toronto’s deadly 2018 van attack is seeking to appeal his conviction on 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.
70c8fc80

Alek Minassian filed a notice of appeal to Ontario’s top court this week.

In it, he argued, among other things, that the trial judge “misapprehended” expert evidence and made “unreasonable findings of fact” related to declining to find him not criminally responsible ...

Back