• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Van attack in Toronto [Merged]

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
My sympathies to the victims families and any injured.We have seen this before in Paris and London.The driver was caught fortunately.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564

DbfOkXEVMAA8AmD.jpg

My thoughts are with all those affected by this incident.

tomahawk6 said:
My sympathies to the victims families and any injured.We have seen this before in Paris and London.The driver was caught fortunately.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/pedestrians-struck-white-van-1.4631564

DbfOkXEVMAA8AmD.jpg
Horrible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So as I'm putting it together now with a couple hours elapsed- this is all what I can find open source and from photos/videos. I cannot confirm any of what I've got here, but this is what looks pretty solid right now, again, mostly drawn from photos, videos, and witness accounts to media.

It appears he was southbound on Yonge in a white rental van. He hopped the curb and started striking people, it appears that he left several people dead in his wake, this based on photos of what appear to be multiple orange tarps over victims. He continued down the sidewalk for about a kilometer, turned right onto Poyntz and got out of his car.

Initial police response seemed to be routine for a pedestrian hit and run- there's video of a cruiser rolling up to a scene, with one on the ground and a bunch of bystanders pointing him south down Yonge. He then takes off down Yonge street. Very quickly it sounds like word got out about multiple scenes.

There is video from where the van rounded the corner onto Poyntz. It appears to have stopped voluntarily and the driver exited. I saw no barriers, obstacles, or serious damage that would stop the van. There's further video of the first officer approaching the driver at gunpoint. The driver rapidly draws what I have read was a cellphone on the officer several times while yelling at the officer. I would bet a pay check he was trying to get shot based on the video of the repeated quick draw with the object. The officer did not fire, and it appears that the male was brought safely into custody.

Mass casualty response. Sunnybrook hospital has brought in at least eight victims, and the hospital announced one dead, five in critical, one in serious, one in fair. Now I believe but am not certain that this is in addition to likely more than one victim who were deceased and remained on scene under tarps.

It looks like there were pedestrian strikes in multiple places. It looks like he stayed on the sidewalk.

Toronto Police have lead, and Ontario Provincial Police and RCMP are supporting.

I've seen/heard more than that, but nothing I would characterize yet as stronger than rumor.

EDIT TO ADD: Toronto Police just confirmed nine dead.

9 confirmed dead 16 in hospital and 10 in critical condition, this is also right by the toronto recruiting office. my prayers go out to everyone in the area

Brihard said:
There's further video of the first officer approaching the driver at gunpoint. The driver rapidly draws what I have read was a cellphone on the officer several times while yelling at the officer. I would bet a pay check he was trying to get shot based on the video of the repeated quick draw with the object. The officer did not fire, and it appears that the male was brought safely into custody.

And there's a cop that deserves a 'VC for self-restraint'.

A very sad day for humanity. Prayers to all the innocent victims and their families....

The suspect has been identified as Alek Minassian, 25, which they announced on CBC but haven't updated their webpage.

An Armenian name, for what that's worth. The suspect in the video had a definite accent.

Retired AF Guy said:
Links to couple of sites with information on the attacker. According to one mental illness, not terrorism is the suggested motive. However, as always these days with fake news, take everything until confirmed with a grain of salt.

Alek Minassian: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know

Alek Minassian

I agree with the highlighted part.

Having said that, any ideas on what this means?

Alek Minassian had made a Facebook​ post stating:

"Private (Recruit) Minassian Infantry 00010, wishing to speak to Sgt 4chan please. C23249161. The Incel Rebellion has already begun! We will overthow all the Chads and Stacys! All hail Supreme Gentleman Elliot Rodger​!"

END QUOTE

Elliot Rodger​
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_Isla_Vista_killings

Incel
https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=incel
"involuntarily celibate"

4Chan
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4chan

Chads and Stacys ( fantasy )
https://www.reddit.com/r/4chan/comments/3dg4gv/chad_and_stacy_fantasy/
"Chad Thundercock is a nickname for any attractive, popular men who are sexually successful with women. Similar to the term “Normies”, Chad and his female counterpart Stacy are often used as pejoratives by those who consider themselves nonconformists on 4chan’s /r9k/ board."

daftandbarmy said:
And there's a cop that deserves a 'VC for self-restraint'.

A very sad day for humanity. Prayers to all the innocent victims and their families....

Yes, and how did that cop know that the perp was not wearing a suicide vest, or the phone was not a BT sympathetic trigger for a VBIED.  He didn’t, he just did his job, and I’m a little pissed with civilians complaining the officer used “harsh language” and threatened to shoot him. 
And the CBC question and spin: is this a case of a white male conducting an attack on persons of colour in an area known to be multicultural.  I wish Chief Saunders had ripped her a new one right then and there.

whiskey601 said:
Yes, and how did that cop know that the perp was not wearing a suicide vest, or the phone was not a BT sympathetic trigger for a VBIED.

He didn’t, but it was not at all consistent with prior actions or observed behaviour. That said, police tend not to get training on suicide bombers.

Brihard said:
He didn’t, but it was not at all consistent with prior actions or observed behaviour. That said, police tend not to get training on suicide bombers.

And let's hope they never need it in Canada.

This perp is looking at a life sentence I hope.Whats life like in a Federal prison ?

Back