• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

VAC wait times

meni0n said:
Claim coming up on 1 year now and have been stuck in 3rd step since August. Anyone know how much longer can you wait and what really can one do? I keep getting the "We're processing claims from April" for the past 3 months now...
You can talk to the ombudsman. There might be something they can do to speed it along. Even if there is nothing they can do, at least it adds to their data.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I opened up myVAC account today to see if I got "my" letter for the top up and saw that my claim that I put in last August was complete. They had all documentation as of December 28th so I was expecting no answers until at least September or later. Funny thing is, it was dated for March 29th, so now it has to be included with the top up for April 1st.

Government agencies never cease to surprise me ...

Veterans Affairs Canada Service Standards

You can download as XLS or CVS file at link. I found the XLS file corrupted and reported same.

http://open.canada.ca/data/en/dataset/111eb3cf-7774-4920-82fa-32231fb2f4ba

Subject:

Homepage: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/about-us/service-standards
    Maintenance and Update Frequency: As Needed
    Date Published: 2016-12-06
    Openness Rating:three stars

About this Record: Record Released: 2017-04-13

Veterans Affairs Canada Service Standards

Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) has set service standards to ensure quality and timely delivery of services and decisions. The department is currently conducting a review of these standards to ensure they report on the service experiences that matter most. New standards may be added and/or existing ones may be changed as a result.

Publisher - Current Organization Name: Veterans Affairs Canada
    Licence: Open Government Licence - Canada

Resources
Resource Name Resource Type Format Language Links
2015-16 Service Standards Dataset XLS English
2015-16 Service Standards Dataset CSV English
2015-16 Service Standards Dataset XLS French
2015-16 Service Standards Dataset CSV French

VAC stopped replying to my secure messages. It's been a week and a half since I asked for an update on my claim. Maybe they're busy processing all the top ups...

There's a warning on MyVAC that secure messages would take at least 5 business days for a response.

I know, I usually had a reply within two days. i think it's up to 8 business days now

Why? VAC hired and trained new staff. According to VAC, increased applications, but they got more staff who are now trained to process. Over 3500 employees.

IMHO it is all BS. It's like throwing money at a problem. VAC employees need a fire lit. Just BS.

I'm also seeing large increase in wait times for response, even in the expatriates department, which is normally must faster than average. (Less people to deal with, I assume)  Too much internal bureaucracy processing files is likely the main cause.

Tcm621 said:
You can talk to the ombudsman. There might be something they can do to speed it along. Even if there is nothing they can do, at least it adds to their data.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The only thing that seems to get their attention is when you send a letter to your MP and the Minister himself. Give that a try. At the very least you'll hear from them.

Good luck.

I just was told by VAC that the time doesn't start ticking until the summary is complete and sent to head office for adjudication and that head office is currently working on files from May 16. I have an application from September last year that only got sent to head office in April and 4 claims from January that aren't even there yet. This is getting ridiculous. I called the ombudsman today and they agree that VAC is failing. How long have we heard the "we are training more staff" refrain? I think a letter to the minister and my MP may be required.

My 16 Aug 16 consequential claim was "Complete" today, with receipt of letter from VAC pending, according to My VAC Account.

Rifleman62 said:
My 16 Aug 16 consequential claim was "Complete" today, with receipt of letter from VAC pending, according to My VAC Account.
That's interesting. So not only was the VAC Rep wrong about the 16 weeks (accord to the OVO), she was off on her assessment of where they are on files. Still, 9 months isn't 4 months.

Judging by the current information provided by VAC, they have an inordinate amount of time to create a summary (more than 16 weeks in my case) , 16 weeks from summary to decision (which they only hit 50% of the time ) and however long it takes to make the actual assessment of actual award. Thank God, I am only in pain and I can still work. My heart goes out to every veteran who is waiting for this money to live with.

My getting reasonably quick service from them has disappeared.  It took over 5 requests and 9 months to get my re-assessment for Tinnitus started.  Two other claims I submitted in Jan 17 are still at Step 1.  The 6 weeks from submission to decision in 2011 have gone out the window, that's for sure.

Incredibly, I received a favourable decision!! Letters and forms were in My VAC Account inbox this a.m. Cheque in bank.

The claim was submitted as the VAC doctor suggested I do so.

The consequential claim was under the old Act, so a bump up to my Disability Pension. All the more reason the Liberals must reinstate the lifelong pension.

jollyjacktar said:
My getting reasonably quick service from them has disappeared.  It took over 5 requests and 9 months to get my re-assessment for Tinnitus started.  Two other claims I submitted in Jan 17 are still at Step 1.  The 6 weeks from submission to decision in 2011 have gone out the window, that's for sure.
When I spoke to the ombudsmans office I made a point of mentioning how service has gone down hill under the new government. It was bad under fantino, got better under O'Toole and is as bad or worse as it has ever been now.  One thing that stood out to me on this latest correspondence was the signature line. Typically it goes something like "feel free to contact us at # if you have any questions... Shawn Bloggins". This one was "if you require additional information, send your inquiry through #... Ms. C. Bloggins". While it may only be the style of this one particular person, it really stood out as all my other correspondence made an effort to be personal. It is a small thing but as I said, it stood out and added a bad taste to already bad news.

Hi everyone,
  Just to let anyone know if they are not already aware. VAC is currently 12 - 14 months behind when it comes to disability Benefits applications. They are currently working on June - July 2016 files. I have called VAC on two separate occasions within the last two weeks and received the same answer. If anyone has been getting something different, it would be nice to hear.

Thanks

My Sept 16 claim is not complete. About a week shy of 1 year. And by complete, I mean I still need to get my letter, contact VAC, see the VAC doctor and get my money. So I figure another 3 months.

I have been in Step 1 for 9 months and counting, is this normal?  No correspondence from VAC yet,  quality service.

Blogg123 said:
I have been in Step 1 for 9 months and counting, is this normal?  No correspondence from VAC yet,  quality service.

I think it depends on the claim/situation but that sounds pretty normal. I've got 3 that are still on step one at 12 months.

12 months at step 1 is not acceptable. My claim last year took 1 year to get a decision. I'd send them a message and complain to the ombudsman. It may not speed anything up but will at least contribute to the stats.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Back