• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Presidential Election 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods, perhaps this could be split/merged into another thread in the politics forum??  (US Presidential Election 2020?)

Let's get back on track, re: what a civil war in the US could look like & the repercussions

Weinie said:
A quick Google search using only the phrase Washington Post turned up this:

https://www.google.ca/search?ei=FVNMX8jcBK-0ggfqi5mIBA&q=negative+trump+stories+washington+post&oq=negative+trump+stories+washington+post&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoHCAAQRxCwAzoOCC4QsQMQgwEQkQIQkwI6BQgAEJECOgoILhDHARCjAhBDOg4ILhCxAxCDARDHARCjAjoICAAQsQMQgwE6BQgAELEDOgsILhCxAxDHARCjAjoLCAAQsQMQgwEQkQI6CAguELEDEIMBOgoIABCxAxCDARBDOgQIABBDOgcIABCxAxBDOgcILhCxAxBDOgIIADoECAAQAzoICC4QxwEQrwE6DAgAELEDEEMQRhD5AToCCC46BQguEJMCUIO-CFisuglgjcAJaAJwAHgBgAGXAogBiDSSAQc1Mi4xNi4ymAEAoAEBqgEHZ3dzLXdperABALgBAsABAQ&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiIu_H1pcTrAhUvmuAKHepFBkEQ4dUDCA0&uact=5

Factual...OK.

If you prefer to avoid facts and reality, Weinie, perhaps you should avoid the Washington Post.

mariomike said:
If you prefer to avoid facts and reality, Weinie, perhaps you should avoid the Washington Post.

I would prefer an avoidance of bias.

Again, from your own source.

These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias.  They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes.

I love the credentials required for "fact checkers",.....zero, but some folks seem to think they are Gods.

QV said:
So if you state another country’s government is a failure, you’re racist now?  You’re missing context on this one too.

I guess if he’s such a racist, we should see a drop in support from voters of those groups he’s racist towards.  But they’re going up.

(Red on green is one of the worst colour contrasts on this forum. Pick another colour with contrast more suited to reading texts encompassing more than a few words.)

As I mentioned in another post, your continued willful dismissal of and/or re-interpretation of blatant facts to excuse behaviours, statements and attitudes that Trump has continuously displayed is...concerning. But then again, the collective thought processes of his base is concerning, as brought forward by multiple professionals w/ relevant fields of expertise, all of which have published multiple articles on the ‘phenomenon’ of Trump and his following and his effects on US society. Somehow, though, although I’ve selected a small handful to get you started—googling their names will easily bring up their publications and mentions—I doubt you’ll reflect upon any works and studies of any highly educated, notable and experienced persons who’ve thoroughly delved into the highly problematic individual (for several reasons) who is the current POTUS.

-Bobby Azarian, Ph.D., cognitive neuroscientist and science writer

-Katarzyna Jaśko, (Associate) Ph.D, the study of relation between social identity and psychological reactions

-Dan P. McAdams, Henry Wade Rogers Professor of Psychology, human development & social policy

-Howard Lavine Ph.D, Associate Dean of the Social Sciences, professor of Political Science and Psychology. His work centers on the psychological underpinnings of mass political behaviour. Published articles in The American Political Science Review, American Journal of Political Science, Journal of Politics, Political Analysis, Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, the New York Times, the Washington Post, and elsewhere.

To be clear, Trump supporters are not in and of themselves an issue. Trump supporters who can consistently find zero fault with the man, explain away/defend everything he says or does, even when shown repeated examples of how he is (further) damaging the foundation of a nation that’s already in peril in all sorts of ways, is. I’m extremely wary of anyone who cannot discern, or refuses to, the fact that he has inflamed tensions within that country to the levels not seen in quite some time. He has repeatedly exhibited levels of apathy, condemnation, bullying, cruelty, distastefulness, disrespect, lack of understanding, empathy and compassion for fellow man that is simply shocking and disgusting. (And before anyone states that the Rodney King period was just as bad and/or worse, start looking up the duration which conflicts lasted, how widespread, volume of persons directly involved in/affected by violence, types of violence and protests, etc and compare. What is occurring in the US now is more severe in terms of overall stats, reports & geography.) He is not helping to calm/settle or in any way reconcile issues within his borders. His actions are directly feeding conflict.

If all you got was “So he didn’t want to rent to welfare recipients. That’s not racist.” out of that scenario, then quite honestly, I haven’t much to say in response, other than what I already mentioned. Concerning.

As for the rest, frankly, I’m on my phone 99.99% of the time when on this site. Although I try to the majority of the time, inserting, editing, quoting, citing, as well as maintaining MOD activity can be highly tedious at best via this device. I spoon-fed examples which I stated can be easily referenced/searched and can be supported by multiple sources. If you want more details/info/substantiation to support what I already introduced, have at’er. Google is your friend.

And for your last bit, funny how (I can only assume you’re going off some sort of polling numbers) you’ll mention something like that, but in other posts entirely denounce the accuracy of polls and what they choose to reflect. You can’t have it both ways.

CBH99 said:
Mods, perhaps this could be split/merged into another thread in the politics forum??  (US Presidential Election 2020?)

Let's get back on track, re: what a civil war in the US could look like & the repercussions

Roger that.

Personally I don't actually know what it would be like. Who knows?

Maybe the right wing extremists take on the government and the left wingers like Antifa etc.

It could be bloody.

FJAG said:
I'm personally very susceptible to chasing squirrels. It all comes with being retired.

:whistle:

I hate those little bast@rds. I've trapped and terminated 14 of them this year, mostly grey  ones.

Sorry we were chatting about the Presidential election?

No matter who wins it will look like a complete crap show.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
I love the credentials required for "fact checkers",.....zero, but some folks seem to think they are Gods.

In some cases people like to attack fact checkers though if it  does not fit their narrative.

From the wiki page fact checking, I found this interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact-checking#cite_note-:5-26

A paper by Andrew Guess (of Princeton University), Brendan Nyhan (Dartmouth College) and Jason Reifler (University of Exeter) found that consumers of fake news tended to have less favorable views of fact-checking, in particular Trump supporters.[26] The paper found that fake news consumers rarely encountered fact-checks: "only about half of the Americans who visited a fake news website during the study period also saw any fact-check from one of the dedicated fact-checking website (14.0%)."[26]

Here is the actual study.

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~nyhan/fake-news-2016.pdf

Basically if you consume fake news you are less likely to give any credit to fact checkers.

Or you could soundbite this part of that Wiki entry...

Consistency across fact-checkers[edit]
One study finds that fact-checkers PolitiFact, FactCheck.org, and Washington Post's Fact Checker overwhelmingly agree on their evaluations of claims.[4][5] However, a study by Morgan Marietta, David C. Barker and Todd Bowser found "substantial differences in the questions asked and the answers offered." They concluded that this limited the "usefulness of fact-checking for citizens trying to decide which version of disputed realities to believe."[6] A paper by Chloe Lim, PhD student at Stanford University, found little overlap in the statements that fact-checkers check. Out of 1,065 fact-checks by PolitiFact and 240 fact-checks by The Washington Post's Fact-Checker, there were only 70 statements that both fact-checkers checked. The study found that the fact-checkers gave consistent ratings for 56 out of 70 statements, which means that one out every five times, the two fact-checkers disagree on the accuracy of statements.[7]

Edit:  or from the paper itself.

The data are likely to no tbe perfectly representative of the U.S. population due to the unusual
Pulsepanel—people with less than a high school degree are underrepresented and the sample
tilts Democratic(42%Clinton versus 33% Trump on a vote intention question that included Gary
Johnson, Jill Stein,other, not sure,and probably won’t vote as options)—but the participants are
diverse and resemble the population on many dimensions

Trump’s agenda

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/08/24/trump-releases-his-second-term-agenda-n2574894

JOBS
·Create 10 Million New Jobs in 10 Months
·Create 1 Million New Small Businesses
·Cut Taxes to Boost Take-Home Pay and Keep Jobs in America
·Enact Fair Trade Deals that Protect American Jobs
·"Made in America" Tax Credits
·Expand Opportunity Zones
·Continue Deregulatory Agenda for Energy Independence
ERADICATE COVID-19
·Develop a Vaccine by The End Of 2020
·Return to Normal in 2021
·Make All Critical Medicines and Supplies for Healthcare Workers in The United States
·Refill Stockpiles and Prepare for Future Pandemics
END OUR RELIANCE ON CHINA
·Bring Back 1 Million Manufacturing Jobs from China
·Tax Credits for Companies that Bring Back Jobs from China
·Allow 100% Expensing Deductions for Essential Industries like Pharmaceuticals and Robotics who Bring Back their Manufacturing to the United States
·No Federal Contracts for Companies who Outsource to China
·Hold China Fully Accountable for Allowing the Virus to Spread around the World
HEALTHCARE
·Cut Prescription Drug Prices
·Put Patients and Doctors Back in Charge of our Healthcare System
·Lower Healthcare Insurance Premiums
·End Surprise Billing
·Cover All Pre-Existing Conditions
·Protect Social Security and Medicare
·Protect Our Veterans and Provide World-Class Healthcare and Services
EDUCATION
·Provide School Choice to Every Child in America
·Teach American Exceptionalism
DRAIN THE SWAMP
·Pass Congressional Term Limits
·End Bureaucratic Government Bullying of U.S. Citizens and Small Businesses
·Expose Washington’s Money Trail and Delegate Powers Back to People and States
·Drain the Globalist Swamp by Taking on International Organizations That Hurt American Citizens
DEFEND OUR POLICE
·Fully Fund and Hire More Police and Law Enforcement Officers
·Increase Criminal Penalties for Assaults on Law Enforcement Officers
·Prosecute Drive-By Shootings as Acts of Domestic Terrorism
·Bring Violent Extremist Groups Like ANTIFA to Justice
·End Cashless Bail and Keep Dangerous Criminals Locked Up until Trial
END ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION AND PROTECT AMERICAN WORKERS
·Block Illegal Immigrants from Becoming Eligible for Taxpayer-Funded Welfare, Healthcare, and Free College Tuition
·Mandatory Deportation for Non-Citizen Gang Members
·Dismantle Human Trafficking Networks
·End Sanctuary Cities to Restore our Neighborhoods and Protect our Families
·Prohibit American Companies from Replacing United States Citizens with Lower-Cost Foreign Workers
·Require New Immigrants to Be Able to Support Themselves Financially
INNOVATE FOR THE FUTURE
·Launch Space Force, Establish Permanent Manned Presence on The Moon and Send the First Manned Mission to Mars
· Build the World’s Greatest Infrastructure System
·Win the Race to 5G and Establish a National High-Speed Wireless Internet Network
·Continue to Lead the World in Access to the Cleanest Drinking Water and Cleanest Air
Partner with Other Nations to Clean Up our Planet’s Oceans
AMERICA FIRST FOREIGN POLICY
·Stop Endless Wars and Bring Our Troops Home
·Get Allies to Pay their Fair Share
·Maintain and Expand America’s Unrivaled Military Strength
·Wipe Out Global Terrorists Who Threaten to Harm Americans
·Build a Great Cybersecurity Defense System and Missile Defense System

Remius said:
From the wiki page fact checking, I found this interesting:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact-checking#cite_note-:5-26

A paper by Andrew Guess (of Princeton University), Brendan Nyhan (Dartmouth College) and Jason Reifler (University of Exeter) found that consumers of fake news tended to have less favorable views of fact-checking, in particular Trump supporters.

As in "Alternative Facts"?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts

QV said:
Trump’s agenda

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2020/08/24/trump-releases-his-second-term-agenda-n2574894

JOBS
·Create 10 Million New Jobs in 10 Months
·Create 1 Million New Small Businesses
·Cut Taxes to Boost Take-Home Pay and Keep Jobs in America
·Enact Fair Trade Deals that Protect American Jobs
·"Made in America" Tax Credits
·Expand Opportunity Zones
·Continue Deregulatory Agenda for Energy Independence
ERADICATE COVID-19
·Develop a Vaccine by The End Of 2020
·Return to Normal in 2021
·Make All Critical Medicines and Supplies for Healthcare Workers in The United States
·Refill Stockpiles and Prepare for Future Pandemics
END OUR RELIANCE ON CHINA
·Bring Back 1 Million Manufacturing Jobs from China
·Tax Credits for Companies that Bring Back Jobs from China
·Allow 100% Expensing Deductions for Essential Industries like Pharmaceuticals and Robotics who Bring Back their Manufacturing to the United States
·No Federal Contracts for Companies who Outsource to China
·Hold China Fully Accountable for Allowing the Virus to Spread around the World
HEALTHCARE
·Cut Prescription Drug Prices
·Put Patients and Doctors Back in Charge of our Healthcare System
·Lower Healthcare Insurance Premiums
·End Surprise Billing
·Cover All Pre-Existing Conditions
·Protect Social Security and Medicare
·Protect Our Veterans and Provide World-Class Healthcare and Services
EDUCATION
·Provide School Choice to Every Child in America
·Teach American Exceptionalism
DRAIN THE SWAMP
·Pass Congressional Term Limits
·End Bureaucratic Government Bullying of U.S. Citizens and Small Businesses
·Expose Washington’s Money Trail and Delegate Powers Back to People and States
·Drain the Globalist Swamp by Taking on International Organizations That Hurt American Citizens
DEFEND OUR POLICE
·Fully Fund and Hire More Police and Law Enforcement Officers
·Increase Criminal Penalties for Assaults on Law Enforcement Officers
·Prosecute Drive-By Shootings as Acts of Domestic Terrorism
·Bring Violent Extremist Groups Like ANTIFA to Justice
·End Cashless Bail and Keep Dangerous Criminals Locked Up until Trial
END ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION AND PROTECT AMERICAN WORKERS
·Block Illegal Immigrants from Becoming Eligible for Taxpayer-Funded Welfare, Healthcare, and Free College Tuition
·Mandatory Deportation for Non-Citizen Gang Members
·Dismantle Human Trafficking Networks
·End Sanctuary Cities to Restore our Neighborhoods and Protect our Families
·Prohibit American Companies from Replacing United States Citizens with Lower-Cost Foreign Workers
·Require New Immigrants to Be Able to Support Themselves Financially
INNOVATE FOR THE FUTURE
·Launch Space Force, Establish Permanent Manned Presence on The Moon and Send the First Manned Mission to Mars
· Build the World’s Greatest Infrastructure System
·Win the Race to 5G and Establish a National High-Speed Wireless Internet Network
·Continue to Lead the World in Access to the Cleanest Drinking Water and Cleanest Air
Partner with Other Nations to Clean Up our Planet’s Oceans
AMERICA FIRST FOREIGN POLICY
·Stop Endless Wars and Bring Our Troops Home
·Get Allies to Pay their Fair Share
·Maintain and Expand America’s Unrivaled Military Strength
·Wipe Out Global Terrorists Who Threaten to Harm Americans
·Build a Great Cybersecurity Defense System and Missile Defense System

Very similar to his last platform.

The Economy is after all his strongest agenda item. 

I think he should steer clear of anything COVID related.  I think he and his admin have lost all credibility on that one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G62oPzl-FTs&feature=youtu.be

Tim Pool, with over a million subscribers and around 90 million views on his channel, confirms he’s more than likely voting for Trump.  He was originally very against Trump.  The tide has shifted and many people are switching sides this election.  Trump has not only broken the DNC, but he is dismantling the establishment GOP. 

Not sure that he has broke the DNC.  He has definitely broken (or tamed) the GOP.

But I agree that this election will be far closer than some people are willing to admit.

QV said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G62oPzl-FTs&feature=youtu.be

Tim Pool, with over a million subscribers and around 90 million views on his channel, confirms he’s more than likely voting for Trump.  He was originally very against Trump.  The tide has shifted and many people are switching sides this election.  Trump has not only broken the DNC, but he is dismantling the establishment GOP.

I guess he can be fairly accused of 'dismantling the establishment GOP' when they decided to literally not have a platform going into this RNC, but simply to affirm they loyalty to and support of Trump... At least they aren't pretending.

Brihard said:
I guess he can be fairly accused of 'dismantling the establishment GOP' when they decided to literally not have a platform going into this RNC, but simply to affirm they loyalty to and support of Trump... At least they aren't pretending.

They saw how it went with "traditional" Republicans like McCain ( 2008 ) and Romney ( 2012 ).

My guess  is the 2024 Republican primary will feature Ivanka vs Junior vs Eric.

I would bet a Loonie that Ivanka gets the GOP nomination.

Brihard said:

EXACTLY!!  No platform is better then the last 50 years of a bullshit we-have-no-intention-of-following platform.

mariomike said:
They saw how it went with "traditional" Republicans like McCain ( 2008 ) and Romney ( 2012 ).

My guess  is the 2024 Republican primary will feature Ivanka vs Junior vs Eric.

I would bet a Loonie that Ivanka gets the GOP nomination.

Ivanka vs Nikki Haley.  Trump junior will be Ivanka's running mate.

Brihard said:

I think the die hard establishment GOP have already fled to support the DNC.  Some have remained on board (McConnell for one) for the judicial appointments and other polices they agree with, while I think some are hanging on because this is their career.  But the term limits he is proposing would scare all career politicians and likely would never pass for that reason - but the voter would probably support that.

Remius said:
Not sure that he has broke the DNC.  He has definitely broken (or tamed) the GOP.

But I agree that this election will be far closer than some people are willing to admit.

I think he is gaining momentum and if it holds he is on course for a landslide. There are enough indicators now that show a substantial portion of democrat voters are disillusioned with their party and their nominee.  The MSM and all the BS spin that has been going on for the last four years is also catching up and having a big influence.

These six democrat mayors endorsing Trump is one example among many: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/six-democrat-mayors-in-minnesota-endorse-trump-for-reelection/ar-BB18vpoF

"We didn't choose to leave the Democratic Party, the party left us."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back