• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

mariomike said:
Neither did Mr. Trump.

But he had a good excuse. Medically unfit for duty, heel spurs. So don't be so hard on the man. After all it must have been intolerably painful when he was a star athelete in high school and college. And it has got to be tough playing 18 holes suffering as he does. The pain is so bad it's made him insane. :bowing:

Jarnhamar, I agree  with much of what you say.  U.S. policy has gotten Canada and other countries, rightly or wrongly, involved in many military actions.  I believe very much in diplomacy as much as possible and using the military only as a last resort. 

Most Americans as well as Canadians have little knowledge of the fact that the seeds of discontent in, say, Iraq, weren't sown by Obama.  Nor were they created by George H.W. Bush or George W. Bush necessarily. Instead, a fair bit of the blame should be assigned to Britain and France who, following the first world war and the fall of the Ottoman Empire, created a number of middle east nations based on political expediency.  Dictators like Saddam Hussein simply held the fragile nation together through terror and force until the U.S. came along and replaced Hussein's government with its idealized version of what an Iraqi government should be like. I just don't that it's going to be easy to get the evil genie back in the bottle. And anyone who says they have an easy  answer is sadly mistaken. And Iraq is not the only country with "unnatural" borders.

I don't know what the answer is, but like you, I know that what the U.S. either does or does not do could affect the lives of our forces.  Russia has proven to be a threat, not only in the middle east but in Europe.  However, their economy is in such tatters that they may run out of money as early as mid 2017. Already, Putin is facing some severe budget cuts to his military machine. While I'm not a Ronald Reagan fan for the most part, he did sense the financial instability of the USSR and forced the Russins into an arms race they couldn't afford and ended up being a major contributor to the breakup of the Soviet Union.

China I do see as a major future threat and sure hope that the next leader of the U.S. will be able to deal with the Chinese.  There's far more happening behind the scenes militarily and economically than most people realize.  Which reminds me of how, in 1969, the USSR and China (both Communist countries) got into a brief but intense land war over disputed territory in the far east. It involved over 100,000 troops.  There were hundreds of deaths and the Russians were terrified that China would send hundreds of thousands of soldiers across the border and cut their only major supply line...the  Trans Siberian Railway.
The Russians planned to bomb their former Chinese allies into Nuclear oblivion, but when the newly elected President Nixon got wind of it, he was worried that the nuclear fallout would endanger U.S. troops in both South Korea and South Vietnam. They U.S. then threatened tomside with the Chinese and the Russians backed down.  It also led to Nixon and Kissinger going to China, leading to the normalization of relations between the U.S. and China. 

Again, having a cool head and having a good program of diplomacy are very important for a President.  And whoever becomes President is going to need to communicate well with Congress, the American people and the leaders of other countries.

Hope I haven't bored everyone to tears. 

Sorry about the typos.  Am using a small tablet and thought the word check picked up everything

cupper said:
But he had a good excuse. Medically unfit for duty, heel spurs. So don't be so hard on the man. After all it must have been intolerably painful when he was a star athelete in high school and college. And it has got to be tough playing 18 holes suffering as he does. The pain is so bad it's made him insane. :bowing:

I know people that did Regimental PT every day and have been pensioned out because of heel spurs.  :waiting:

recceguy said:
I know people that did Regimental PT every day and have been pensioned out because of heel spurs.  :waiting:
Heel spurs + service + pensioned out =/= heel spurs + healing + athletics + deferring mandatory service (or not getting a chance to serve)

Also, to be fair, most of Trump's deferrments were school-related, not medical - all apparently by the rules.

Remius said:
"The people are never wrong"

There is a bunch of Alberta oil workers who voted NDP who may give you an argument, if you buy them a coffee they can no longer afford. 

Wikileaks and Anonymous promise a bombshell tomorrow (05 Nov)

https://s14.postimg.org/7lkh61ze9/anon.jpg

Excerpt:

Anonymous 11/03/16 00:09:23 No.95833740

Over the next few days many new documents will be released. The contents of these documents will contain evidence of perhaps the largest coverup in American History. Before this happens we would like to explain ourselves and answer a few questions you may have.

Until this month, WikiLeaks and Anonymous have worked together in building an efficient, detailed, comprehensive set of documents that would be responsible for the incarceration of Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, and 21 individuals ranging from the DNC, FBI, CIA, and Clinton foundation. These documents will show without a doubt, evidence of Treason, Obstruction of Justice, Election Fraud/Manipulation, and Bribery.

This was intended to be the October surprise. But before the release of these documents, we were contacted by a member of the FBI, as well as another from the CIA, and a week later by the NYPD. All with information retaining to something much darker than even we imagined.

Due to the nature of these leaks, we all worked together as efficiently as possible to ensure two objectives.
That all necessary information would be given to the public in an organized, searchable, manageable way.
Those who provided us with this information would be able to find safety before these releases were made. (This concern wasn't without warrant.)

Anonymous 11/03/16 00:09:46 No.95833807

The new leaks being released this week will provide documents in the form of emails, pictures, and videos. Within these will be evidence of Bill Clinton, as well as at least 6 other Government officials, taking part in sexual acts with minors. As well as evidence of Human trafficking that also included minors.

We believe these pictures and videos were taken for the purpose of political manipulation. In order to make sure all participants followed through on a previously agreed agenda.

These documents were given to us by an American Governement official when he had come to learn that this crime had been covered up by Hilary and her staff through methods including bribery and blackmail. He also told us that due to the restricted access to these documents, they would soon know he was the one who released him to us.

We tried to make arrangements for him to exit the country safely, but he was killed before those arrangements could be carried out. We are still not sure if this is because they became aware of the leak, or if they were scared that he may in the future. In either case, his identity will be made public in this next set of leaks so that he can be honored for the hero that he was.

We will not only be releasing these documents, but we have multiple memebers of the FBI, CIA, and NYBD who will be publicly verifying their authenticity once their safety is assured.

This hack has not come from Russia or anyone else they may try to blame this on. This is a leak from Americas own Government Officials who fear for their safety had the opposed them directly due to reasons that will be made clear soon.

We thank you for your patience, as well as your determination and assistance in helping us expose the corruption that has infested our own government. Democracy will be restored to America.

Remember remember the 5th of November.

We'll see (getting more popcorn...)

More grist for the mill/fuel for the fire ...

:pop:

set of documents that would be responsible for the incarceration of Hillary Clinton, Bill Clinton, and 21 individuals ranging from the DNC, FBI, CIA, and Clinton foundation. These documents will show without a doubt, evidence of Treason, Obstruction of Justice, Election Fraud/Manipulation, and Bribery.
The new leaks being released this week will provide documents in the form of emails, pictures, and videos. Within these will be evidence of Bill Clinton, as well as at least 6 other Government officials, taking part in sexual acts with minors. As well as evidence of Human trafficking that also included minors.

Sounds sorta bad I suppose, but hardly enough to sway Clinton voters  ;D

Not sure if I am validating or skirting Goodwin's Law here, but ...

If Hitler and Stalin were resurrected from the dead in the US and they won candidacy for the Republican and Democratic parties respectively, I suspect the voters still could not put together a plurality of support behind a third party or independent candidate ... even with "birthers" arguing in the wings that resurrected in the US is not the same as born in the US.

There are at least two other candidates who have access to enough electoral college votes by virtue of the states which include them on the ballot, and more other candidates if one considers allowed write-ins who are not on the ballot.  For all the horrible things that are being presented about both Trump & Clinton, is it really possible that all the other candidates are actually worse?

New York Times today,

A Militia Gets Battle Ready for a ‘Gun-Grabbing’ Clinton Presidency
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/05/us/a-militia-gets-battle-ready-for-a-gun-grabbing-clinton-presidency.html

MCG said:
For all the horrible things that are being presented about both Trump & Clinton, is it really possible that all the other candidates are actually worse? 

Maybe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3O01EfM5fU

Lightguns said:
There is a bunch of Alberta oil workers who voted NDP who may give you an argument, if you buy them a coffee they can no longer afford.

I put it in quotes.  Stephen Harper actually said that when he lost the last election.

And while the people are never wrong, the people can be stupid.

Many people vote for the party their parent voted for, started out that way and then moved across the spectrum when I started to read what the parties said and saw what they did/didn’t do. Some people never question their party loyalty. It would be healthy for everyone if they did. I prefer Trump for 2 things, Supreme Court picks and that trump represents political chaos and the US political system needs a healthy dose of chaos and the tables at the political elite temple being kicked. He will drag in new insiders who will challenge the current monopoly that is to comfortable. It would be nice if someone even farther from the corridors of power got in, but the system is rigged by the vast expense required to be a contender. Reduce the costs of running and then you might see more people. However the main lesson to be learned from this election is that no normal human being has a background clean enough to survive the scrutiny being done. That will leave the field open to the politically addicted and the Puritans, which scares me. 

Colin P said:
... no normal human being has a background clean enough to survive the scrutiny being done. That will leave the field open to the politically addicted and the Puritans, which scares me.

Colin - in 1660 the Brits chucked out the Bible Thumper son of Oliver Cromwell and all the Sadd Green wearing Puritans and "elected" Charles II as their King - a king with 9 mistresses, including the inimitable Nell Gwyn

"Pray good people be civil, I am the Protestant whore" was Nell Gwyn's cheeky retort to the masses pushing around her coach in the mistaken belief that it was that of the Duchess of Portsmouth, the Catholic Louise de Keroualle. 'Pretty, witty Nell' was perhaps the best known and remembered mistress of King Charles II.

And Samuel Pepys diary of a bureaucrat makes for some pretty racy reading by a modern.

Morality is over-rated.

By the way, the Carolinas and their culture, were founded by aristocratic supporters of Charles.

VERY interesting approach from The Donald's social media dude via Twitter ...
CwLhTmfWAAAwBL6.jpg

CwLhTmeW8AAehG1.jpg

CwLhTmZXgAY8Rjz.jpg

CwLhTmeWYAEY6cp.jpg

From today's Telegraph:

Democracy’s a nightmare. Let’s just put the Queen back in charge

MICHAEL DEACON
PARLIAMENTARY SKETCHWRITER Michael Deacon 4 NOVEMBER 2016 • 4:51PM

We did try to govern ourselves, ma’am, but it didn’t really work out

Brexit is becoming very difficult to follow. Let’s see if we can summarise the latest developments.

Basically:

The people who campaigned for parliamentary sovereignty now reject parliamentary sovereignty, while the people who thought it was overrated now prize it above all else.

The ones who called the losing side moaners are now moaning because they lost, while the ones who didn’t respect the result are now telling them to respect the result.

And the MPs who wanted to hand power back to British judges now want to take power away from British judges to stop British judges stopping MPs from handing power back to them.

Over in the US, meanwhile, the atmosphere is even uglier.

If you’re worried about where all this is headed, I’ve had a look at the rulebook. Apparently the winners of the 2017 American civil war will go on to face the winners of the 2017 British civil war in the final.

Look, let’s just be honest with ourselves. Democracy was a lovely idea, and we gave it a decent crack. Universal suffrage for both sexes for almost 90 years now. That’s a pretty long time. No one can say we didn’t try.

But, with the best will in the world, it’s just not really working out, is it? I say we all shake hands, call it quits, and return to absolute monarchy. Knock down Parliament (the place is falling apart anyway, cost a bomb to rebuild) and stick the Queen in charge.

It’s possible that Her Majesty may view the offer with some trepidation – the whole Charles I business is probably still a bit raw – but I think we can promise to respect royal authority from now on. Fair’s fair: we tried to govern ourselves, and we just weren’t up to it. We’ve learnt our lesson. Bring back the divine right of kings. You always knew where you were with the divine right of kings.

I’d vote for that. And then never have to vote for anything again, thank God.

I'm with him.  [cheers] 

Colin P said:
Many people vote for the party their parent voted for, started out that way and then moved across the spectrum when I started to read what the parties said and saw what they did/didn’t do. Some people never question their party loyalty. It would be healthy for everyone if they did. I prefer Trump for 2 things, Supreme Court picks and that trump represents political chaos and the US political system needs a healthy dose of chaos and the tables at the political elite temple being kicked. He will drag in new insiders who will challenge the current monopoly that is to comfortable. It would be nice if someone even farther from the corridors of power got in, but the system is rigged by the vast expense required to be a contender. Reduce the costs of running and then you might see more people. However the main lesson to be learned from this election is that no normal human being has a background clean enough to survive the scrutiny being done. That will leave the field open to the politically addicted and the Puritans, which scares me.

You have stated my opinion better than if I had written it myself.

Jarnhamar said:
Sounds sorta bad I suppose, but hardly enough to sway Clinton voters  ;D

Perhaps Mr. Trump said it best.  :)

Election is only four days away, and we are only four pages away from 100!

Anyone interested in a friendly little pool of our own? ( An election pool that is. Not on the violence which may, or may not, follow the election. )

Attachments

• voters.jpg
    voters.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 109
Back