• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

US Election: 2016

JLB50 said:
I suspect that some of the people here have been sniffing too much gunpowder.

I believe you should keep your condescending opinion of the posters here to yourself.

For all the posters here that seem so very put out by simple words, the stuff that's posted here (by me) does not necessarily mean I agree with it all.

I am simply posting what is out there.

You draw your own conclusions.

That's the way it is supposed to work. Not the couch locked spooned pablum opinions of ABC, CBS, CBC, CTV, NBC, CNN, FOX.

You get the information and YOU figure it out.

This thread has been carrying on, copacetically, for awhile. For those of you who just joined it, relax.

It's just that I'm finding too much intolerance that borders on paranoia.  Since taking a job here and marrying a Canadian years ago, I've worked with quite a few federal, provincial and municipal politicians , both Conservative (Progressive Conservative actually) and Liberal. Despite differences of opinion they had with one another, they still showed respect for their opponents and for the political process itself.

I just don't want to see the U.S. descend into a madness that could turn into a civil war. I also remember how my father was forced to leave his univerity position in the early years of the Joseph McCarthy witchhunt era, in which some saw communists hiding  behind every tree and under every rock. And my dad was far from being a communist.

Whether Clinton loses or Trump  loses, in another four years, an election will give the unhappy electorate the chance to get the candidate of their choice.  That's the way it's been for over 200 years. 

JLB50 said:
Whether Clinton loses or Trump  loses, in another four years, an election will give the unhappy electorate the chance to get the candidate of their choice. 

A Trump versus Clinton rematch in 2020 thread?

Attachments

• 2020.jpg
    2020.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 115
Kat Stevens said:
The US needs a Governor General.

Actually it needs to be taken out to the woodshed.

Or at the very least it needs adult supervision.

Why doesn't everyone just trust the collective US voting public to do the right thing?

SeaKingTacco said:
Why doesn't everyone just trust the collective US voting public to do the right thing?

On that basis, the collective Canadian voting public did the right thing a year ago?

SeaKingTacco said:

:rofl: Optimist.

The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
-Winston Churchill

GAP said:
On that basis, the collective Canadian voting public did the right thing a year ago?

Whether I personally like the outcome is immaterial. A plurality of my fellow voters did. That is how these things work.

[quote author=JLB50]

Whether Clinton loses or Trump  loses, in another four years, an election will give the unhappy electorate the chance to get the candidate of their choice.  That's the way it's been for over 200 years.
[/quote]
Have you served in the US (or any) armed forces?

SeaKingTacco said:
Whether I personally like the outcome is immaterial. A plurality of my fellow voters did. That is how these things work.

"The people are never wrong"

No, Jarnhamar, I didn't serve in the military in the U.S. or Canadian military.  Back injury.  Otherwise, I would have gone into the USN, like my dad who died in a service-related accident in 1958.

PPCLI Guy said:
How is that relevant?
It may not be but please see below.

JLB50 said:
No, Jarnhamar, I didn't serve in the military in the U.S. or Canadian military.  Back injury.  Otherwise, I would have gone into the USN, like my dad who died in a service-related accident in 1958.
[I'm sorry to hear that he passed away JLB]

I asked that question because you  suggest whoever wins wins and there will just be another election in 4 years. Kind of no big deal.

How I see it, the US armed forces have a pretty big stake on who wins and where they're going to get deployed stemming from that decision. For a lot of service members, depending on who wins the election, they may not get another chance to vote in four years. 

Considering Canada followed the US to Afghanistan for 10 years I would say we have a pretty big stake in who wins and where they want to go too.

JLB50 said:
No, Jarnhamar, I didn't serve in the military in the U.S. or Canadian military. 

Neither did Mr. Trump.

Back