• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

unlimited liability?

Mojo Magnum

Inactive
Reaction score
With seemingly every question one could ask about joining the CF already covered. And having come through the application process and offered a career.   The doubts about "if" I will get an offer are resolved.  

Now I am on to the next very large question.   How does one rationalize/accept willingly offering oneself up for unlimited liability?    I'm sure folks could throw a bazillion accusations around about how that should have been considered before applying but..for me...I feel the timing comes after the application has been confirmed, and before you swear in.   (Just my take on the whole thing).

So....., having said all that,
I am getting sworn in the day after tomorrow.   While I am not so concerned about dying (as I figure it won't bother me a few seconds afterward)    (and I don't doubt I'll be reevaluating that one the first time a bullet wizz's by my head).

I feel that Dismemberment is a different matter entirely.   Thats something you have to live with.

After reading a few articles about soldiers who have been horribly damaged, loss of limbs, cognitive functions etc, I am forced to consider how I would cope.    It does not take me long to realize that the time to prepare for mental health on the other side of such an occasion is to be confident of my decision to join before hand.    Knowing that I have willfully considered this likelyhood and accepted it.

So, aside from throwing up a prayer that I am spared such a fate.    And knowing full well that I will inevitably be told that I accepted the possibilities when I signed up.

How does one rationalize voluntarily placing oneself in such a position?

I can think of a great many reasons why I wouldn't.   And having been around awhile, Ive noticed the nation's political enemy on Monday could be your friend on Tuesday.    Having read some very impressive posts on attitude and commitment.   Perhaps some you more eloquent chaps might find it in your hearts to share some hard earned wisdom of how you have accepted this commitment.

Once again I welcome an edumacation.

Mojo

Actually Mojo, go back and read your post.   Now that you have, substitute any other occupation in there, be it policeman, fireman, construction worker, etc. and see if it applies.   Now, without a doubt, someone, at some time, has told you that you could just as easily get hit by a bus crossing the street; right?   What guarantees do any of us, in any profession, have that we will not be maimed or killed on the job or at home?

Then again, you could lock yourself in your room for the rest of your life..... :eek:

Wallace I agree with you that no job can guarantee your absolute safety but that does not necessarily mean that the risks are not greater in the army. Soldiers are constantly putting themselves at risk whether on their way to work or while at work. I share the same curiosity as Mojo as to how a soldier copes with the fact that everyday they go to work, whether it be training or while on tour, they are risking dismemberment. Does it at all hinder ones ability to perform their duty? And what are your coping strategies?

For example, does CF pay to make your house or apt wheelchair accessible if needed? Do they pay for a good wheelchair or a piece of crap instead? Do  they move you to a place where it is easier to get around, like  someplace with no snow? 

Are you prepared for not ever having sex again if you are paralyzed? For not being able to work? Are you prepared for a change in  work life, social life,  divorce, etc? How often do the non-injured guys still hang around the  disabled, or is it "out of sight, out of mind"?

Let's  hear from paralyzed  vets or those with Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome to see if the cost was a fair one to them and if they really knew what they getting into.  They may say yes, they may say no.

I think the most frequent coping strategy is denial. But  does the CF follow up with it's own denial or does it take care of those injured? I am curious, too.

Years ago when I was training in Gagetown, I had a long weekend off and went back to Charlottetown.  I knew the University Business Administrator and the Head of the Residence and managed to get a two bedroom suite for the whole weekend.  Well, one morning, needing hydration, I headed down into the lobby to the Coke machines.  I really didn't want a cola, so I was debating what to get, when the girl at the desk doing Security started to chat with me.  She asked what I did, to which I answered that I worked for the Government.  She pressed for more info and eventually I said I was in the Army.  Her response: "Oh! How grouse!  You kill people!"  I kind of shrugged and asked her what she did, besides Security.  "Oh," she said, "I'm going to Holland College Police Academy."  Really now, who was most likely to kill someone first; me or her?  People have all kinds of misconceptions of what the CF is and does.  

We all learn to defend ourselves as we make our way through life.  It really doesn't matter what job you do, you will develop defense mechanisms.  Just because I am in the Army, doesn't make me any stronger in dealing with things such as two friends who have died within the last two weeks in the Regt.  I deal with it, just as anyone else does, in any vocation.  Perhaps, being in the Military does give you a broader range of emotions to learn and master, but it is part of 'maturing' in the job.  

One thing that you should remember; if you are going to worry about death or injury, only bad will come of it.  You will die or get injured because of your fears, or the least you will get is poor health and ulcers.  

Black Humour is found in the military.  It is a means of coping.  Outsiders quite often take offence to it.  They just don't understand.  Some day you may.

Now visitor wants answers.   The CF and Veterans Affairs take care of these cases.   There are formulas used in calculating the amount of Pension an injured person gets.   This Pension can start while a member is still serving and is Tax Free.   Will it allow the Pensioner to live a life of luxury?   No!

Where in Canada will all these Pensioners find 'no snow' and still be able to live within their Pensions?

Friendships built in the Military, are usually stronger and longer lasting than those on Civie Street.

People deal with things in many ways besides denial.   Some resort to suicide, others to joining support groups.   The Padres are always available to the soldiers.   There are Councillors, Psychologists, Doctors, RNs and other support workers in the CF.   You may have a Veterans Hospital or Home near you.   I am sure that your questions can easily be answered, perhaps not necessarily on this site.   If you want to ask paralysed vets questions, perhaps a visit to one in a hospital or a search of the DVA site would help you.

Have fun visitor.

Mojo...you could have a brain aneurysm just sitting there reading this right now....or  how about, right now.......maybe....right now.  Ya never know, take everything with a grain of salt.

1.  Thinking about injury takes more forms than "worrying" and yes, it can prevent injuries. Ask the guys who broke their necks diving into shallow water. A little thinking might have been useful.  Fear is also useful. It lets us  know when we are in danger, heightens our senses and gets the adrenaline going. Mojo is wise to consider the consequences of his  enlisting decision, especially since so many will come back to say "he knew what he was getting into". Personally, I feel people are facile about  it because they don't REALLY know what they are getting into.

2. I am in the health care business and know all about black humor.   I also know about professional services that are skeletal at best because of underfunding. Asking what the CF provides for it's disabled vets is a valid question, as Mojo asked.   I also know this because someone very close to me is paralyzed. The spin  of agencies does not match the reality of what is provided.  Having a decent wheelchair instead of a bottom of the  line one, is hardly luxury.   I will search the CF web site for info, but I am not optimistic. Take it from me, you don't know what you are getting into until you are in it.

3.  In the US the Paralyzed Vets have done a superb job of pushing for things like the ADA legislation and the US is more handicap accessible than Canada.   Do CND  disabled vets  have a  message board of their own, as many disabled people do?  It would be a honor to communicate with them and to find out if the CF does really take care of the people they send into harm's way.  My guess is that their pension doesn't go very far for the amount of expenses they have.

The CF encourages you to get SISIP.  It is the Insurance company that serves the military.  Why SISIP?  Well, it is geared towards the soldier and it again has formulas to cover payments for injuries incurred while in the military.  It also does not have a WAR CLAUSE as you will find in any other Insurance coverage in Canada.  If you have Life Insurance right now, go look up the War Clause in your policy.  You will find that any act of war, or even aggression, voids your policy.  Just another thought.

THAT is one form I'll be signing.  I don't suppose it will be presented to me with preliminary paperwork at my swearing, bmq or somewhere along the way would it?

visitor said:
3.   In the US the Paralyzed Vets have done a superb job of pushing for things like the ADA legislation and the US is more handicap accessible than Canada.   Do CND  disabled vets  have a  message board of their own, as many disabled people do?  It would be a honor to communicate with them and to find out if the CF does really take care of the people they send into harm's way.  My guess is that their pension doesn't go very far for the amount of expenses they have.

Some good points to which I can not answer.  I know a few former Servicemen with wheel chairs; what quality they are, I have no idea.  One of my former officers, a former officer in the LdSH(RC) was blown up by a mine in Bosnia.  He is Major Bruce Henwood.  I know he has fought long and hard for the rights of Canadian Soldiers injured in the Service.  He has effected many changes, and I believe he is still fighting for many more.  Gen Romeo Delaire brought more questions to the forefront, and now we see better treatment of soldiers mental health.  There are problems; but there are now advocates fighting for better solutions.

Mojo Magnum said:
THAT is one form I'll be signing.   I don't suppose it will be presented to me with preliminary paperwork at my swearing, bmq or somewhere along the way would it?

You will probably fill it in when you get on course, during the Inclearance.

We don't abandon our dead or wounded so why would we have some shitty medical system?

P.......

visitor was wondering if the CF took care of its injured. In my experience, yes.

P......

With much respect to George.  "You could get hurt on any job" doesn't cut it. (for me anyway).  I have worked manufacturing for 10 years.  Surrounded by industrial equipment, presses as big as your house and die's that you could step inside of.  Forklifts, cranes.  Every one had labour board safety measures in place.  You were (barring any freak event) safe, as long as you stayed on your side of the yellow line.  After 10 years, I can honestly say, the only people who got hurt were the ones who weren't paying attention.

There were no land mines, no one shooting at me, and none of my co workers had the potential to misfire and blow me face off.  (that I'm aware of).

Please don't get me wrong.  I appreciate the input.  But there must be an understanding specific to this occupation or perhaps an understanding of individual faith or calling.

I have a few ideas,
but I'm interested in yours.

I wasn't going to bother answering, but....

Mojo Magnum said:

With much respect to George.   "You could get hurt on any job" doesn't cut it. (for me anyway).     I have worked manufacturing for 10 years.   Surrounded by industrial equipment, presses as big as your house and die's that you could step inside of.   Forklifts, cranes.   Every one had labour board safety measures in place.   You were (barring any freak event) safe, as long as you stayed on your side of the yellow line.   After 10 years, I can honestly say, the only people who got hurt were the ones who weren't paying attention.

There were no land mines, no one shooting at me, and none of my co workers had the potential to misfire and blow me face off.   (that I'm aware of).

Please don't get me wrong.   I appreciate the input.     But there must be an understanding specific to this occupation or perhaps an understanding of individual faith or calling.

I have a few ideas,
but I'm interested in yours.

I think you answered your own question.  Some of your co workers were injured in the workplace.  Did they intentionally go to work one day and say to themselves "I think today I will hurt myself on the job, perhaps even kill myself!"?  I don't think so.  Same goes for the Military.  You don't need to carry a gun or carelessly walk into a marked minefield to injure yourself.

Mojo Magnum said:
After 10 years, I can honestly say, the only people who got hurt were the ones who weren't paying attention.

There were no land mines, no one shooting at me, and none of my co workers had the potential to misfire and blow me face off.   (that I'm aware of).

Please don't get me wrong.   I appreciate the input.    But there must be an understanding specific to this occupation or perhaps an understanding of individual faith or calling.

I don't think we can give you god enough answer right now. During and after your training, you learn to trust your coworkers, have faith in thier abilites, and knowledge that your chain of command in the military will not delibrately send you into harms whay without considering other options first.

thanx again George,
don't give up on me just yet,

Are you suggesting that I concern myself with duty, honor and doing my job to my best, and leave injury and death to the

"sometimes bad things happen, c'est la vie" department?

Back