• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rowshambow said:
There are lots (OK a few) ways to do it.

1) CFR-Commision From the Ranks, you should be min Sgt but will accept outstanding MCpl's
2) CEOTP- Continuing Education Officer Training Program, you only need to be a Cpl, and have to finish a degree (on your own time) before your IE is finished
3) UTPNCM- University Training Plan NCM, Cpl's and above, apply to go to school and then trade training in summer etc, kinda like ROTP, can go to civi or RMC
4) SCP- Special Commissioning Plan, Cpl's and up, once you have a degree (we see more people coming in with degree's now) then you can go Officer after you do the NCM time.

Anyways, if you look on the recruiting site, many of these should be posted, as that's where I got it from when I looked into it years ago. Or ask a BPSO!

Thank you for the information!  :)

Here is some add info

UTP-NCM (UTs) read CFAO 9-13.
info on CEOTP (CTs) can be found on the canforgen and it will lead you to more info on the subject.

:cdn:

Piper said:
No.

Reservists can CT to the regs via ROTP. It happens all the time. Now, reg force NCM's who want to become an officer and get their schooling subsidised would have to apply for the UTPNCM program. There are also reg force and reserve NCM's who become officer's without a degree via the CFR process (this applies to higher ranking NCM's who have alot of experience and time in).
Ah okay, a bit in conflict with the previous person's reply, but I like your answer better :) So would joining the reserves to gain experience while one does other things to increase one's viability (like improve grades, volunteer, etc) be a good idea?

tyciol said:
Ah okay, a bit in conflict with the previous person's reply, but I like your answer better :) So would joining the reserves to gain experience while one does other things to increase one's viability (like improve grades, volunteer, etc) be a good idea?

That's what I did and I honestly think that it is the best thing to do, it has helped me a lot so far and I am sure that it helped me get in because of the valuable experience and it also gives you the opportunity to show that you can be competent and get good course reports which I am sure impact a lot the decision of the selection board. it also gives you an idea of how the military life works and you,ll see if you like it.

oldandgrey said:
UTs program is not the only route you can use. check out the CEOTP as well, this program is open to NCM and Civics.  what you should do is read up CFAOs 9-13 for UTP-NCM and the canforgen on the CEOTP.

for you to apply as a UT you must be at a min rank of cpl before your file reach the board. CEOTP has no min rank at this point.

I don't believe the part I've bolded is true.

From ADM (HR-MIL) Instructions 09/05, Para 4.2  (DIN/IntraNet Link and Internet Link):

4.2 Eligibility

4.2.1 Civilian applicants must:

- Be eligible for enrolment in the Reg F in accordance with QR&O 6.01 and existing CF enrolment policy
- Possess at least a High School Leaving Certificate in an academic program leading to acceptance at a Canadian university in an initial degree program meeting CF requirements

4.2.2 Regular Force NCM applicants must

- Apply for the CEOTP
- be of substantive Corporal rank or above
- Be recommended for commissioning by their Commanding Officer and chain of command
- Meet university acceptance prerequisites as for civilian applicants

4.2.3 Primary Reserve officer and NCM applicants must

- Component transfer to the Regular Force upon acceptance into the CEOTP
- Meet university acceptance prerequisites as for civilian applicants

Note: The CEOTP is a career program, and is not open to members with permanent Medical Employment Restrictions.

Well, I learn something new...

And thats why we said...dig it up and read it including the ref....policies changes all the time...

Thank you for updating my info

:piper:

Hello All,

I am a graduate from BCIT's Aircraft Maintenance Engineer diploma program. I would like to join the air force under officer entry plan, but was told that the plan is no longer available this year. Believe me, I have read many threads, but just dont see any case related to mine. Continue... I applied Aviation Systems Technician under the NCM plan. Here comes my questions:

1) If CF hired me as NCM this year, and I wish to transfer to OFFICER plan next year, am I required to complete UTPNCM or CEOTP, or do I have to quit the job and reapply as OFFICER?

2) My second question is related to contract, do the NCM and OFFICER plans both require to sign contract of duty due to subsidized education?

The short answer is that in order to enter as a DEO (Direct Entry Officer) you need a degree, not a diploma. If you were to apply to compete a degree then UTPNCM would be the route to take. There are other options available, but the also require you have a degree. You would no have to release and rejoin in order to commission.

Any subsidized education programme has with it the requirement to serve in order to pay back the subsidization. Obligatory service requirements are the same for everybody regardless of rank; that is two months of service for every month of subsidized education.

Thanks for the reply. Actually I had contacted the recruit centre before and I was told to be able to apply OFFICER plan with my diploma next september 2010, since BCIT is treated an an university nowadays. When I asked the agent, he mentioned about unit change application. But from the forum, the answers are into UTPNCM or CEOTP route.

Therefore, please clarify. Thanks very much.

If you have a diploma, its a diploma it is NOT a degree and thus not eligible for DEO.

If you have a degree from BCIT then you have a degree and is eligible for DEO.

To elaborate further:
2 years = diploma

4 years = degree.

Thanks for the answers,

I might have mistype few words and confused you all. The officer plan I am referring is ROTP, not DEO. What are the difference between the 2?

I think the big question for you is not whether or not you want to go officer but what occupation do you want?  It sounds like you are well set up to enter one of the techy air force trades....

matwxx said:
The officer plan I am referring is ROTP, not DEO. What are the difference between the 2?

As written on the CF recruiting website
http://www.forces.ca/html/index.aspx?lang=en

Direct Entry Officer (DEO)
As a minimum, applicants to the Regular Force must have an undergraduate degree in a suitable discipline. A student currently in the final year of a degree program is also eligible to apply. Recruiting bonuses are offered to applicants who are trained in occupations for which the CF have an urgent need, such as physicians and dentists.

Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP)
This plan is designed to educate and develop for commissioning, selected civilian candidates for service as Regular Forces career officers. Selected candidates are appointed the rank of officer cadet for the period of their subsidization and commissioned subsequent to successful completion of their academic program and requisite military training. Subsidization is carried out at the Royal Military College (RMC) or at an approved Canadian University and/or affiliated College.

there you go...

Oh, so actually the two's are different plan. I like to stay with my family. Does NCM require to sign any contract for overseas mission?

It does not matter if you are NCM or Officer.

If you join the regular force,
you will have to move to a base (with your family) and probably deploy on operations overseas, or leave for training... all this for weeks and months at a time (without your family)
When you join the regular force, you cannot choose what you want, you go where you are needed.

If you join the reserve,
you work part time (Tuesday nights and 1-2 weekends a month) they can subsidize your education at 50%, you may leave for training or full time employment in the summer. Although it is primarily a part time job, there are full time opportunities in the reserves. You serve according to your availabilities.

the_girlfirend said:
It does not matter if you are NCM or Officer.

If you join the regular force,
you will have to move to a base (with your family) and probably deploy on operations overseas, or leave for training... all this for weeks and months at a time (without your family)
When you join the regular force, you cannot choose what you want, you go where you are needed.

If you join the reserve,
you work part time (Tuesday nights and 1-2 weekends a month) they can subsidize your education at 50%, you may leave for training or full time employment in the summer. Although it is primarily a part time job, there are full time opportunities in the reserves. You serve according to your availabilities.

Wow!! Thanks the_girlfirend for the answer. I guess I will switch to reserves once I am employed. That way, I could stay with my family and upgrade my education to degree and master, and apply full time job thru commercial aircraft to earn B1 lisence. Then if any luck, earn my military lisence second.

My assumption is that you wish to apply for an "air force" occupation.  You should note that there are limited air force reserve units.  Part-time reserve service could only be done at those locations and only if they have a position available that matches your occupation.

In BC these are the Air Reserve locations.  Locations elsewhere in Canada are at the link.  http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/ar-ra/page-eng.asp?id=754

Comox, BC
Air Reserve Flight
19 Wing

Pat Bay, BC
443 Maritime Helicopter Squadron

Abbotsford, BC
192 Airfield Engineering Flight
(note: AEFs are comprised of skilled construction and engineering or engineering related tradespeople who support the Air Force during deployed and non deployed operations.)

the_girlfirend said:
If you join the regular force, you will have to move to a base (with your family) and probably deploy on operations overseas, or leave for training... all this for weeks and months at a time (without your family)

This is not true the way you say it.  AVN Tech students who are married can move their families to Borden on the 3's course.  ATIS Tech students can move their families to Kingston while doing POET and QL3, and I could list more.  With the length of trg some NCM and Officer trades go thru, having your family there with you is NOT always the case in this day and age.

Saying things like this is misleading.  If you don't know what you are talking about or cannot provide all the info, you shouldn't provide bad information. 

You sure can choose where you want to go.  3 posting preferences.  You are not guarunteed to get 1, or any of them.  However, they will try to post you where you want, if they can and if there is a spot for you there. 

If you join the reserve, you work part time (Tuesday nights and 1-2 weekends a month) they can subsidize your education at 50%, you may leave for training or full time employment in the summer. Although it is primarily a part time job, there are full time opportunities in the reserves. You serve according to your availabilities.

You really really should stop posting incorrect info.  Not all Reserve Cl A trg is Tuesday nights and 1-2 weekends.  You can also leave for trg or Class B/Class C employment at times other than the summer. 

Are you even in the CF??

the_girlfirend said:
they can subsidize your education at 50%

50% up to a maximum of $2000 a year, over 4 years ($8000 subsidy total).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back