• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the update.  I haven't even bothered calling the BPSO here yet, I figure they will notify me if they have anything to say.  My DCO has said he will ask around for me but at this point I am continuing my life as I don't get it, ready to apply again next year.  I figure I am low on the list to be looked at as I have been in for only 5 years and don't have a PLQ yet.  My unit is pushing for me to get it this year though so that would make me more competitive for next year :). Watch and shoot.  Good luck everyone!

There is already a post on the UTPNCM program for this year, come on over to join us :)

It's still REALLY early since they haven't cut any messages for this competition as far as I can tell.

Don't worry, when the messages start flowing, people will post about it and it will be common knowledge around the Force.

Last year, I did not recieve my letter of non-acceptance til July or so, to give some indication of that.

Newmet: the main thing to be more competitive, besides the interview, is more University, especially related to the degree program that relates to the trade(s) you want. A nice letter from your chain of command or a PLQ will not go as far as more credits. It's an officer production program and the faster and cheaper they can make you an officer (while still ensuring you fit the bill) the better.

Chernoble said:
Newmet: the main thing to be more competitive, besides the interview, is more University, especially related to the degree program that relates to the trade(s) you want. A nice letter from your chain of command or a PLQ will not go as far as more credits. It's an officer production program and the faster and cheaper they can make you an officer (while still ensuring you fit the bill) the better.

From where did you get this information? There is no evaluation criteria that directly measures how much university you have done - anything you can do to build related skills and experience is what they are after. If more post secondary is best for whatever job you want, then OK. That is not always going to be the case.

If they cared how long I was going to take I should guess they would have preferred I finish out the three semesters I had remaining in my previous degree instead making me choose, and then paying for, a completely new but no more appropriate degree program (it just grants a BSc instead of a BA...). In fact, they nor I had no idea what degree I was going to pursue until after the initial offer.

Melbatoast said:
From where did you get this information? There is no evaluation criteria that directly measures how much university you have done - anything you can do to build related skills and experience is what they are after. If more post secondary is best for whatever job you want, then OK. That is not always going to be the case.

If they cared how long I was going to take I should guess they would have preferred I finish out the three semesters I had remaining in my previous degree instead making me choose, and then paying for, a completely new but no more appropriate degree program (it just grants a BSc instead of a BA...). In fact, they nor I had no idea what degree I was going to pursue until after the initial offer.

Every time I have spoken to a PSO about becoming more competitive over the past 3 years, this is the advice I was given.

It's not like trying to get a better PER or getting promoted.  PLQ will speak to leadership of course which is nice but things like exempt PT and a second language profile don't mean much of anything.

When it comes to your situation about getting a degree in a certain field for a certain trade, the more courses you have related to that degree program make you more competitive.  Obviously if you are appying for a trade that requires a certain degree for entry standards, the more courses related to that degree would be the preference.

That logic works fine unless you are looking for a trade that requires a degree such as engineering. It is next to impossible to do courses that count for engineering credits by correspondence. I was always told that the more leadership potential that you show, the better you are for this program. Of course applying for an MOC that is less desirable always helps. According to DMILC, this year the mighty dollar is king; you are more likely to get accepted if you apply to schools that are within your geographical region. Anyways, the messages are supposed to arrive any day now.

The way my PSO explained it points are given for 30 credits and below or 30 credits and above this might be how one would be more competitive, for example if you have completed more than 30 credits you would get a higher score. As for the mighty dollar, I was told agian by the BPSO that having applied to a university far or near will have no impact on the selection process the amounts per UTPNCM membre are pre-determined some use more than others. Let's say your an applicant in an isolated region which has no acces to higher education or that if there is a university in your area, but this one does not offer the program you need for your specific trade, it would be unjust to refuse an applicant with a higher scoring base on this. Ultimately what matters is your potential to become an officer everything else is already accounted for.

Airman said:
According to DMILC, this year the mighty dollar is king; you are more likely to get accepted if you apply to schools that are within your geographical region.

I hope this isn't the case with people that live in the sticks like me (Cold Lake).  We don't have a school close enough that wouldn't require a posting message ;)

Cold Lake is no big deal if you applied to schools in Edmonton or Calgary, as both cities are within your geographical region. I'm in the same boat, I live in Trenton, which means the nearest schools to me are both in Kingston (anyone say RMC). As for more points awarded for above 30 credits, that's the first I've heard of that. Regardless the waiting phase is almost over, everyone is saying the messages are finalized, and will be sent out before the end of the month. Of course that applies for the first round selection messages only. What I'm curious about is whether or not we will be invited to attend St Jean this year, or better yet next summer.

Then you might want to consider getting a little info on how UTPNCM scoring is done its always good to know what you need to work on and how to do it if you have to apply again in the future.  ;)

Airman said:
What I'm curious about is whether or not we will be invited to attend St Jean this year, or better yet next summer.

It will be the summer after your first year of school.  It just isn't feasiable, especially if there is a move in there for folks to make it on the coming summer serials.  Plus most of the slots are already spoken for by the ROTP/UTPNCM folks from the year previous.  There might be some outliers, but if accepted expect to go the following summer.

Hello all, thought this might be of interest to the community.

I’ve been following the Strategic Intake Plan to try and get an idea of the changing dynamics regarding the available positions. If anyone is unaware of this site, I would highly recommend it. It is updated frequently, and numbers for some of the intake programs have been adjusted as recently as 11 April 2013.

Furthermore, you can view the status of the trade you are applying for and their requirement for manning, as well as predicted intakes for each trade for the next two or three fiscal years.

Hope this helps; http://cmp-cpm.forces.mil.ca/dgmp/dpgr/engraph/reports/description_e.asp?sec=2&report=bpd

Cheers,

Thanks Ryan! That's a great link!

acadieavs said:
Then you might want to consider getting a little info on how UTPNCM scoring is done its always good to know what you need to work on and how to do it if you have to apply again in the future.  ;)

I agree.  This is not my first application and my first had a LOT of checks in the right boxes :)  Even though I have more checks this year, I am not holding my breath!

Hello All,

Just a quick update.

I have contacted D Mil C: Education and Commissioning Section, and inquired on when the UTPNCM Selection messages will be sent out.

The official response is: The first round of selection messages will be sent out at the end of April.

Hope this helps mitigate some of the stress and unknowns for everyone waiting to hear something.

Best of luck to everyone,

Regards,
Ryan

I must have called just after you, and given the response I received I think many of our fellow applicants have called D mil C this week. Oh well the end of the month is not that far off. Unless it's a Navy "end of the month" then I am sure we'll have offers by June.

Ryan81 said:
Hello All,

Just a quick update.

I have contacted D Mil C: Education and Commissioning Section, and inquired on when the UTPNCM Selection messages will be sent out.

The official response is: The first round of selection messages will be sent out at the end of April.

Hope this helps mitigate some of the stress and unknowns for everyone waiting to hear something.

Best of luck to everyone,

Regards,
Ryan

Also of note. The ROTP forum has picked up this last week with offers starting to come out. This should bode well for us as well.

I peruse these forums from time to time and appreciate all of the helpful info!

I've decided to stop lurking and add my two cents as I'm sure some will be interested to know: I received my offer just this morning. 

Looking at the dtg, it landed in the PSO's office yesterday sometime after 1740...  I guess they're working late to get these messages cut!  I'd imagine the flood gates are now open and we should see more and more reports of people receiving their messages too.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back