• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

University Training Plan NCM (UTPNCM) 2005 - 2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see this post. I too have decided that after several years of hopefully doing all the right things to make myself the best candidate I can possibly be for UTPNCM this is my year to apply.  I am very happy to have somewhere to communicate with hopefully a few other people who are going through the same process as I am.

I am presently on annual leave and do not have access to the DIN, I was wondering if the message for competition has come out yet for this year? It was already a week past the anniversary date of last years message when I left for leave.

Also do any of the other folks out there in UT land share any of my concerns about this program being the victim of significant reduction of an altogether suspension due to budgetary pressures. I'm talking out of my bum here but I know that in a bean counting world I am a much more expensive student than an OCDT given my rate of pay. I've seen the conversation about the last years otters being the last group at RMC and I was wondering if anyone had similar fears for UTPNCM.

Once again thanks for starting this thread.

Hi mizzenmast.  I havent heard anything persay but I would suspect that the number of officer positions for UTPNCM will be reduced due to overborn occupations.  The only other thing I heard was the the CEOTP program is going to be cut drastically, or even shut down completely.

Again, this is just what i've heard and nothing concrete.

A quick check of the SIP would show the actual numbers rather than squeezin' off some "spec fire".

MARS - 2
MS ENG - 2
NCS ENG - 2
ARMD - 3
ARTY - 2
EME - 1
ENGR - 1
INF - 3
SIGS - 3
ACSO - 4
AEC - 2
AERE - 3
CELE - 2
CONST ENGR - 4
PLT - 3
HCA - 2
INT - 1
LOG - 3
NURS - 2
PHARM - 1
PSEL - 1
TDEV - 2

Thanks for that Eye.....I was looking for that spreadsheet as I used to have it bookmarked but I ended up being posted, so I lost the link.  One can only hope that those numbers might get better, but in reality, highly unlikely.

Those numbers aren't drastically lower than the past few years.  In fact the numbers for my occupation match exactly the year I got picked up (two years ago).  It's a highly competitive, expensive-for-the-CF program.

just me... said:
Thanks for that Eye.....I was looking for that spreadsheet as I used to have it bookmarked but I ended up being posted, so I lost the link.  One can only hope that those numbers might get better, but in reality, highly unlikely.

Import/Export tool in Internet Explorer on BASELINE will let you save your Favorites to a file on your Q drive (which should be movin' with you on a CD/DVD)....saves a TON of headache.

I've also heard a bunch of talk, including from current CEOTP folks that in future there would be a much reduced or abandoned CEOTP program. It's funny to see those numbers in the SIP, it wasn't that long ago that some occupations were in the dozens for intake requirements. Certainly didn't take long for that to change.  Thanks for the post Eye.

mizzenmast said:
I've also heard a bunch of talk, including from current CEOTP folks that in future there would be a much reduced or abandoned CEOTP program.

I don't know if it is any more than "talk" but CEOTP has always been the program of last resort for officer production.

I wonder when the competition message will be cut.  It's nearing the end of August and the PSO in Cold Lake told me that the OT messages are still not out yet.

The end of Aug couldn't get much "nearer".  >:D

BTW, there are some OT msgs out.  I'd hazard some spec fire as to the impact CANFORGEN 145/12 has had on the entire CMP org, which could be the reason for some of the delay, but that is a complete WAG on my part.

I've never seen it go so late for this particular message to be released, so I would tend to agree with you on that.  I'm hoping it comes out on Friday at the latest as i'm going to Russia next week and will be taking myself off the grid until I return.

I am a little nervous about the late date of the message. I do have a little fear that the program may be suspended or cancelled. Let's hope we see something before we're too far into September. I am sure that many of you like me are commencing academic commitments based on preparing for commissioning and would love to know our efforts won't be in vain.

I was one of five selected to attend RMC this year from the UTPNCM program.  Don't worry about if there are cuts or not, just put in your paperwork.  Just before I got my message Gen Tremblay announced to the whole school that there weren't going to be any more otters.  There was some fighting at the top of the chain somewhere and poof a few weeks later I get my offer to attend RMC, whatever may be the current decision can always change.  I personally believe there will always be an Otter Sqn, I've been there only a few weeks and I can tell how much value having us there brings to the college.  We bring a level of maturity and experience that would hurt the regular officers if otter Sqn ceased to be.

Of those that got into otter Sqn this year, two of us lived in kingston already (no cost move), two enrolled in the military strategic studies degree which is only offered at RMC.  The fifth I'm not too sure of, who is doing a psych degree... I think.

I'd highly recommend that everyone make sure they apply to a civilian university, if RMC doesn't take you, a civilian school could be your only option (I know.... sounds awful).  The one thing I regret in this entire process, I didn't apply earlier.  I had every reason to doubt I'd be accepted into the program, bad grades, CoC that wasn't super supportive, still not sure that I did all that great in the interview, but I still got in. 

Talk to the BPSO your file is a 3 part score, the CFAT, the interview, and job fit.  The last two are based on your interview, job fit you should seriously spend some time thinking about how some of your experience makes you a candidate for the type of officer your going for.  Also consider applying for some of the less desirable occupations, every meeting for UTPNCM I went to 90% of the people wanted INT O and LOG O, if you want it go for it, but there's allot of competition.
--------------------

Glad to see this post. I too have decided that after several years of hopefully doing all the right things to make myself the best candidate I can possibly be for UTPNCM this is my year to apply.  I am very happy to have somewhere to communicate with hopefully a few other people who are going through the same process as I am.

I am presently on annual leave and do not have access to the DIN, I was wondering if the message for competition has come out yet for this year? It was already a week past the anniversary date of last years message when I left for leave.

Also do any of the other folks out there in UT land share any of my concerns about this program being the victim of significant reduction of an altogether suspension due to budgetary pressures. I'm talking out of my bum here but I know that in a bean counting world I am a much more expensive student than an OCDT given my rate of pay. I've seen the conversation about the last years otters being the last group at RMC and I was wondering if anyone had similar fears for UTPNCM.

Once again thanks for starting this thread.

Hi there,

I too am awaiting the message, I was thinking the message last year had been cut earlier than this.  I have my fingers crossed that this program isn't cancelled.  I am currently enrolled in my last university course that is required and distance learning really isn't my thing :)  I think I need to see the PSO again so I can plan out a course of action.  If a trade I am interested in is available and by some miracle I got the spot I would be applying to attend a civilian university as I am part of a service couple.

I hope we hear something soon!

newmet said:
by some miracle I got the spot I would be applying to attend a civilian university as I am part of a service couple.

As i recall, there will be no new UTPNCMs at RMC so going to civilian university is sort of a given, no ?

CDN Aviator said:
As i recall, there will be no new UTPNCMs at RMC so going to civilian university is sort of a given, no ?

There will still be UTs that will go to RMC, that much has been determined.  The numbers will be substantially reduced and for the most part, spots will be for no cost moves or individuals that make strong cases for their attendance at the college.

Wow!........there's alot of tumbleweed and crickets on the message front!  Anyone hear anything?

Not a word yet. I'm going to see the BPSO shortly for some educational stuff, I'll be sure and rattle his cage. Of note the CFR message is also adrift so it is probably just a delay I hope.

mizzenmast said:
Not a word yet. I'm going to see the BPSO shortly for some educational stuff, I'll be sure and rattle his cage. Of note the CFR message is also adrift so it is probably just a delay I hope.

It is confusing as nothing has been released including the AVOTP message which typically comes out in the Apr/May timeframe.  I was chilling with a friend that is a PSELO and he is surprised as well and has no idea what the deal is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back