• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unit PT - Best Practices

SeanPaul_031

Inactive
Reaction score
Is Pt in batalliion done on your own time or is it done as a platoon/unit. Can you do your own weight lifting program or do you have to do Pt w/ your platoon commander?

You can do your own PT an lift weights on your own time. First thing in the morning(mon-fri) you will do PT either as a Battalion or Company/Platoon.

I think Battle School PTs are pretty slack too!

I can't speak for any unit other than 3 RCR or 3 VP, but in those two, PT is not slack. Battle School PT is.

I lift weights either during lunch, or after work hours. Some of the troops get slow time during the day, and they head to the gym here. It's fairly easy since 3VP has a better gym than most Bases.

paracowboy said:
I can't speak for any unit other than 3 RCR or 3 VP, but in those two, PT is not slack. Battle School PT is.

+1 to that.

Every time a new course comes in from Meaford they say they're suprised that when compared to Battleschool the intensity of the PT actually goes up in Battalion, not down. Of course, there are times in Battalion when PT falls by the wayside due to exercises or other tasks, but when we're in garrison we give'r. The smart ones do their best keep in shape on their own time when their unit is doing field work... You just know that as soon as you're back in garrison you'll have a young 2LT right off his Phase 4 show up as your new Platoon Commander and run you into the ground. :-\

paracowboy said:

I lift weights either during lunch, or after work hours. Some of the troops get slow time during the day, and they head to the gym here. It's fairly easy since 3VP has a better gym than most Bases.

That gives me tingles  ;D

Im what you might call a work out-aholic...  ???

Rubes said:
How long is the average run in battalion?
as long as the guy leading it wants it to be. You will go as fast as he does. You will stop when he does.

Don't worry about it. Simply get into the best shape you can, shut your brain off, and place one foot in front of the other.

PT in Battle school is alot easier then Battalion,  I am not a runner by anymeans, and here in 1 RCR every run nearly kills me...lol,  We run on Mondays and wensdays, Ruck on tuesdays and thursdays....Most runs for us are probably anywhere from 8-10 km, and the shorter runs are just as hard because they speed the pace up considerably. Get  into the best shape you can,

Pro Patria

Wonderbread said:
You just know that as soon as you're back in garrison you'll have a young 2LT right off his Phase 4 show up as your new Platoon Commander and run you into the ground. :-\

If Battleschool PT is more slack than battalion's, how could a 2Lt fresh out of Ph. 4 run you into the ground?

If Battleschool PT is more slack than battalion's, how could a 2Lt fresh out of Ph. 4 run you into the ground?

Officers don't do Battleschool. I'm not sure what all their courses are called or what they consist of, but when they get to Battalion they're usually near the top of their platoon when it comes to physical fitness. A new officer may not have that much experience, but PT is a good way to gain the respect of the troops. It's all part of leading by example.

Technically, new NCMs don't do Battleschool either. The RCR (and I assume the other Regiment's) Battleschool  was disbanded in 1996, and the new courses have undergone a few name changes since. These days, "Battleschool" is more of an unofficial term to describe the SQ and BIQ courses.

Alright! I'm gonna be top shape if I can get through all the phases... 8)

Here's the track:
Phase I: IAP/BOTP, St. Jean, QC
Phase II: CAP, Gagetown, NB
Phase III: Basic Infantry Officer Training I (BIOT), Gagetown, NB
Phase IV: Basic Infantry Officer Training II (BIOT), Gagetown, NB

Training at Gagetown is given by CIC for Infantry Officers to be.

MdB said:

Here's the track:

I think you mean CTC and not CIC.

CIC=Cadet Instructors Cadre
CTC= Combat Training Center

Nfld_Sapper said:
I think you mean CTC and not CIC.

CIC=Cadet Instructors Cadre
CTC= Combat Training Center

Yeah, blood clot in the brain, thas all.  ;D

MdB said:

Here's the track:

Can anyone provide the drop-out rate for each phases in infantry school for infantry officer.

Thanks.

No!

No. As it will vary from year to year; Course to Course; Instructors to Instructors.

fonfon40 said:
Can anyone provide the drop-out rate for each phases in infantry school for infantry officer.

Thanks.

Can't say for today, I went through in the mid 1990's. We started Phase II with around 120, and ended Phase III the next summer with around fifty to sixty.  Then again, the word's "Gagetown" and "Phase" don't seem to make people involuntarily shudder like they used too....

the drop out rate wasnt that bad this summer, we were 60, and we only lost 2 to trg failieurs, and 4 med's, 1 vr on cap, the phase 3 wasn't as bad i think on most courses there ws between 5-7 rtu's and phase 4 was only 2 rtu's i believe. Its not a mental game like st.jean you just have to be able to learn what they teach you quickly and hope to god your not on a franco course, I did my iap and botch franco and it was harder inmo, I was happy to be on an anglo course. 

Back