• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Unit Choice Questions

Pte.Shrubb

Inactive
Reaction score
Im planning on joining the regs after high school. My question was that after your BMQ, SQ and your MOC training will you be able to go to the unit of your choice. I want to join 1 or 3 PPCLI. So any information will help.

Thanks,

Pte.Shrubb

From what I have been told by the recruiting office is that you usually have a say in which regiment you want to go to (ie. RCR, Vandoos, PPCLI) but chances are you won't get a say in which battallion you would like to go to.

Jimmy C said:
From what I have been told by the recruiting office is that you usually have a say in which regiment you want to go to (ie. RCR, Vandoos, PPCLI) but chances are you won't get a say in which battallion you would like to go to.

wow i never herd of this before, ive always been told you go where they need you the most....

That is my understanding on the issue however if the army says you are going here or there then that's were you will go.

You can pick your regiment. Even during DP1 Infantry I have seen numerous troopies switch to another regiment. The fact is, all infantry battalions need troops.

I wish a battallion would hurry up and take me already, but as always it's hurry up and wait. :)

should i maybe call the CFRC and ask them when it comes down to it?

Yes that would be your best bet seeing how it is their job to know these types of questions. I believe there is someone on this forum who is a recruitng officer maybe they could be of some help to you.

I originally stated that I'd like to go to 3vP when I went through the process. Turns out they needed my amazing potential in the RCR. That's who I've been claimed by. So there you go... you can ask, and the people at your CFRC will smile, nod, and then send you wherever they need fresh meat for the grinder.

Could you not decline the offer to RCR and then wait to go PPCLI?

You can certainly ask for the Regiment you want but not the battalion and in the end you will be put where you are needed the most.

either way i want to be PPCLI i can always ask for a posting to 1 or 3 if i got stuck with 2nd

Pte.Shrubb said:
either way i want to be PPCLI i can always ask for a posting to 1 or 3 if i got stuck with 2nd

I would rethink that attitude as the PPCLI is not that big and word will get around pretty fast.  You should be honoured to serve in any of the battalions or regiments for that matter.

kincanucks said:
I would rethink that attitude as the PPCLI is not that big and word will get around pretty fast.  You should be honoured to serve in any of the battalions or regiments for that matter.

i have no problems with 2 PPCLI...the only issue i would have with serving with 2 PPCLI is their location. Im not a big fan of Manitoba, its to cold. But i would still take that posting if it was a way into the PPCLI

Pte.Shrubb said:
i have no problems with 2 PPCLI...the only issue i would have with serving with 2 PPCLI is their location. Im not a big fan of Manitoba, its to cold. But i would still take that posting if it was a way into the PPCLI

You find out which BN you're going to in BIQ. So if you are told 2PPCLI, thats where you are going, can't just not accept it.

Pte.Shrubb said:
i have no problems with 2 PPCLI...the only issue i would have with serving with 2 PPCLI is their location. I'm not a big fan of Manitoba, its to cold. But i would still take that posting if it was a way into the PPCLI

Thats no attitude for an infanteer. You should be asking for it to be even colder, wetter, and the occasional volcanoe  ;D

In all seriousness, welcome to the Army. You sign the dotted line, they do what they want with you. Suck it up, you could afterall end up in gagetown with the RCR. Its just the nature of the beast...

Unless you have a family reason to go to Edmonton and not Shilo, they're just going to laugh at you and tell you to go where they put you. I tried putting in memo's when I was in BIQ and SQ and they didn't get me anywhere.

P.S. Shilo isn't that bad  :)

ic, it doesnt matter what unit i get put in, i was just wondering if i get a choice because PPCLI would be my top choice

bigwig said:
Unless you have a family reason to go to Edmonton and not Shilo, they're just going to laugh at you and tell you to go where they put you. I tried putting in memo's when I was in BIQ and SQ and they didn't get me anywhere.

P.S. Shilo isn't that bad  :)

ya my dad is the OC of HQ squadron for the lord strathconas horse. thats the main reason why i want to go there

Hmmmmmmm....... Kind of interesting when you put it that way. Your dad is OC HQ Sqn of the LdSH(RC) in Edmonton.  Well, I'm not going to claim to know exactly how the Strathconas conduct their business, but I will venture an educated guess that it's somwhat parallel to ours over in the RCD.  An OC usually only does a 1-2 year stint (Though I have seen on rare occassion 3) then moves on to other pastures such as a Light Colonels course or some staff position.  I'm not attacking your reason for wanting 1st or 3rd Battalion of the PPCLI, but your father is most likely going to be leaving Edmonton in the near future.  You as a young recruit should by all means request your Regiment or even your Battalion, but as stated in the end, the Army is going to place you where you're needed.

P.S - 2VP is a very distinguished and proud Battalion and if you find yourself there and still feel you're stuck with 2PPCLI, try looking at it the other way around - 2PPCLI is stuck with you for at least 3 years if you have that attitude.

Cheers young fella and may things go well for you

Back