• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uniform when abroad

Shepard

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings,

(yes, I've searched and read the Uniform PDF, but my question was not quite answered by the reading.)

I am planning to visit a long-time friend in the States, sort of as a surprise, so I am wondering that if I ask my chain of command, would there be a chance that they would permit me to be in uniform when I surprise visit them? Will it be a big "NO" due to how I would not currently be on duty? Could I expect to hear an approval?

Note: I am a reservist.

Thank you for your time, and I apologize if this had already been asked.

If you write a memo to the CoC stating why wearing a uniform is appropriate for this, sure.  The CF100 leave pass also has a tickbox for whether uniform will be worn on leave.

Depending on what the situation is, it may be approved.  I know of one who wore DEU to his father's funeral, for example.

Dimsum said:
Depending on what the situation is, it may be approved.  I know of one who wore DEU to his father's funeral, for example.

Keep in mind, if approved by the CoC, it will (more than likely) be DEU, not CADPAT.

If they are looking for the reference to approve, it is QR&O 17.04:

17.04 - WHEN UNIFORM WORN

(1) Unless the Chief of the Defence Staff otherwise directs, an officer or non-commissioned member:

a.  on duty shall wear uniform; and

b.  not on duty may wear civilian clothes.

(2) An officer or non-commissioned member who desires to wear uniform while on leave outside Canada shall request permission to do so at the time that the member applies for the leave.

(3) Paragraph (2) does not apply to an officer or non-commissioned member serving in a ship outside Canada when on leave at or in the vicinity of a port, in which the ship is lying.

(4) When a request for permission to wear uniform is made under paragraph (2), the authority having power to approve the leave:

a.  may, subject to any restrictions imposed by the Chief of the Defence Staff, approve the request if the leave is to be spent in any country

i.  of the Commonwealth,

ii.  of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization, or

iii.  in which Canadian Forces are stationed in accordance with any instrument entered into by Canada; and

b.  shall, in all other cases, refer the request to National Defence Headquarters.

As a Reservist, QR&O 17.06 also applies (emphasis added):

(http://www.admfincs.forces.gc.ca/qro-orf/vol-01/chapter-chapitre-017-eng.asp#cha-017-06)

17.06 - WEARING OF UNIFORM - RESTRICTION

(1) Except that an officer or non-commissioned member may wear a military uniform of obsolete pattern that is not likely to be confused with current dress, no member shall wear any part of military uniform at a fancy dress ball.

(2) No member of the Reserve Force shall wear uniform except when:

on service; or
attending a military entertainment or a ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate.

(3) A former member of the Regular Force or Reserve Force, who was released for a reason other than misconduct may wear uniform:

with the permission of an officer commanding a command or his designated authority and such other officers as may be designated by the Chief of the Defence Staff, when attending a military entertainment or ceremony at which the wearing of uniform is appropriate; and
on other occasions with the permission of the Chief of the Defence Staff.
(M)

I've worn my uniform outside of Canada for a wedding once; and a few years back I was in Edinburgh on Remembrance Sunday and saw an armoured reservist in the crowd in his DEUs. I never did get a chance to talk to him, so it is entirely possible he was on an exchange.

If you are a Cl A reservist, you wouldn't even be 'on leave'.

If you are a Cl B and going on leave, you could try to have your CO sign off on it as "an appropriate ceremony" IAW the regs above.  But...I'd say "good luck on that".

::)

The regs permit it "IF" the approving authority supports the request.  I don't believe that would be likely in this case, but the flat "no" is not accurate.

Let me put it this way then.

If it was one of my subordinates...my question would be why, in the first place. If it's just to "surprise"... then NO.
It had better be a damn good reason. Staff a memo, I would vet it, minute it with a recommendation that it not be approved IAW the relavent orders.

See, too easy.

Ok from the perspective of one of those folks who approves this kind of thing.
Is it possible YES.

As this is not a leave type situation (I am assuming the original poster is Reservist on Class A service) there is not requirement to ask for leave. If however it is an appropriate military occasion (course graduation, another units mess dinner, official gathering) It would quite likely be approved. For example there are quite a few Canadian reservists who travel to Minot North Dakota annually for the military ball.

Irrelevant. Military functions are fine...kind of a no brainer really.

Just for impressing your buddies in another country...No

Approving this request just because you think you're right is not responsible.

Jammer said:
Let me put it this way then.

If it was one of my subordinates...my question would be why, in the first place. If it's just to "surprise"... then NO.
It had better be a damn good reason. Staff a memo, I would vet it, minute it with a recommendation that it not be approved IAW the relavent orders.

See, too easy.

While the likelyhood of this instance being supported as presented is low (IMO) the fact remains the regs do allow for it to happen, if the AA supports.  You aren't on the list of approving authority types though, nor am I. 

So, IMO, anything we say isn't much more than  :deadhorse: at this point...so I'll just jockey back to the lowground.

..occupying a hull down waiting for the next target...

Don't fool yourself into thinking you were right so I disengaged, running away in a state of mental disarray.  ::)

I called mom, and she said I still can't pick on littler kids or stupid people...so...

Jammer said:
Irrelevant. Military functions are fine...kind of a no brainer really.

Just for impressing your buddies in another country...No

I must agree with Jammer. Had this specific request crossed my desk the answer would have been "No" as well.

Truth be told, you're both coming across as a couple of douches.

Just sayin'

Back