• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Uncertainty

Thaedes

Inactive
Reaction score
Well I‘m a 19 year old student graduating this year. No I never failed a year, I was in Ontario during OAC (aka grade 13) and moved out to BC during xmas. I lived in my own apartment in Kingston Ont for about 8 months prior to comming out here, and as such school suffered. My grades aren‘t great by any means, and I‘ll need to take a few extra courses after I graduate to unlock all post secondary education doors.

I want to join the military, for a number of reasons really. 1) To find direction in my life. I‘ve always lacked motivation, and drive. It wasn‘t that I never had any passions, its just I couldn‘t find anything that would drive me. Thus I‘m hoping I can discover it in the military. 2) Great benefits. Ive lived on my own, in my own apartment on nothing but a gas stations attendants income - and it wasn‘t fun. The military offers so much, like health care and a relatively low cost life style.

I‘m trying to figure out where or what I want to go for in the military. I‘m not sure if I should go NCO, or commisioned. To become an officer I‘d have to get accepted by RMC, or into ROTP anyways, and I doubt my grades will hack it. Is there nothing offered for people who haven‘t really had the greatest marks but are willing to work hard for the opportunity?

I like challanges as well, and feel that I would like to aspire to something such as JTF2 at some point. Don‘t get me wrong, I‘m not romanticized by hollywood films into thinking that combat and special ops is all cool and parties. But its like a nagging sensation in the back of my mind, the idea of wanting to be a part of something rare and to have to overcome great obstacles to get there.

If anyone has some suggestions, please post them. I‘d really like another opinion on this.

My plan for now is to graduate, and spend another semester getting my grade 12 math advanced and another science credit. and then choose from there wether to go officer or NCO.

Thanks, ttyl.

As near as I can tell, being a civilian, the difference between Officer and NCM is roughly the same as being University or College educated. Nothing - bright people will always make their mark.

University teaches theory (the why), and expects you to extrapolate the practical (the how). College teaches you practical (the how) and expects you to do it well. To the extent that you can see the big picture, you will interpolate the theory (the why).

Both "classes" of jobs are necessary, and both require responsibility. The difference is what you personally get a bang out of doing, and what your own physical and mental abilities allow you to do.

Capt: We will make camp on *THIS* hill. (Oh, Sgt., what would be the best way to make camp on this hill?)

Sgt: We will *MAKE CAMP* on this hill. (Good choice on the hill Sir).

Focus is different, but both use their experience and intelligence to do their part. Captain needs to know the strategic reasons why they camp on the hill. Sgt needs to know how to make a camp, and why camps are made that way. Sgt probably knows the strategic reasons as well or better than the Captain, but he‘s not responsible for it. That‘s why the Captain asks his opinion. Captain may know how to make a camp just as well as the Sgt., but he‘s not responsible for *making* it, just in having it made. Further, a good commander will explain his reasons as far as he can or is allowed so that his NCM‘s can make informed decisions and suggestions, but he‘s not required to - the reasons why are HIS problem.

The difference in responsibility is a biggie. A dumb Sergent can get a bunch of men killed. A dumb Officer can get a LOT of men killed. A good Sergent can save some lives. A good officer can save a lot of lives.

Another two cents from a civilian. Cap badge is because every army guy I‘ve talked to and learned from was 3RCR.

Thanks. I owe it all to a Jerry Pournelle book entitled "Falkenburg‘s Legion", also previously published as "The Mercenary" and "West of Honor". A better book for explaining military structure etc. than Starship Troopers by Heinlein. Of course, Starship Troopers is on the Canadian Army‘s reading list, so you‘ll be reading that too....(I was going to point you to the Regimental Rogues‘ links to it, but they need to be updated. He‘s on the board. You reading this Captain?).

And my own regrets at having taken University courses in Economics, when I could have taken College for woodwork.

;)

I hear ya‘, Gunnar. I‘m in the middle of being posted, and once I get settled in the new location I‘ll be setting aside a couple days to re-engineer the expired links. Unfortunately Amazon doesn‘t offer an easy way to monitor or update them.

Well done on the post above, BTW, a very concise explanation for the layman, and for the serving soldier too, as many have difficulty understanding the difference between level of responsibility, especially when technical skill sets overlap.

Pro Patria

Mike

Well, you‘re welcome to it, I know you instruct. But it might be of some use to pick up the book I got it from. It was a pretty good yarn, and although I don‘t necessarily agree with Pournelle‘s opinions on the ideal government, a lot of his explanations of responsibility, strategy and military life ring very true to me.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/067172018X/qid=1054064239/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-7282711-8330405?v=glance&s=books

Another interesting novel is Midshipman‘s Hope by David Feintuch. It‘s sci-fi, about a middie who‘s put into charge when all senior officers get whacked. Good story about leadership.

The rest of the series evolves around UN as global govt, religion in govt, environmentalism, colonialism, oh, and blowing aliens up.
Good stuff.

Back