• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

U.S. Military Deserters in Canada Megathread

big bad john said:
"It's just like in Vietnam. The more American soldiers die, the more drastic our procedures get just to stay alive," he said.

I think he's way out of his lane trying to state any facts about Vietnam let alone
compare it to Iraq

http://thechronicleherald.ca/World/533049.html

War deserter released

LEXINGTON, Ky. (AP) — A Kentucky soldier who fled to Canada rather than redeploy to Iraq and then surrendered to U.S. military officials earlier this week has been released, his lawyer told a newspaper.

Darrell Anderson, 24, of Lexington left Fort Knox Friday morning and was on his way home, lawyer Jim Fennerty told the Lexington Herald-Leader.

Anderson said he deserted the army last year because he could no longer fight in what he believes is an illegal war.

"I feel that by resisting I made up for the things I did in Iraq," Anderson said during a news briefing in Radcliff shortly before he turned himself in at nearby Fort Knox on Sept. 30.

"I feel I made up for the sins I committed in this war."

His mother Anita Dennis of Lexington, and his Canadian wife Gail Greer of Timmins, Ont., said they supported his decision.

Anderson joined the army in January 2003 to get money for college and to serve his country. He went to Iraq a year later with the army’s 1st Armored Division. He was wounded and received a Purple Heart in 2004. Over the next seven months he was in the thick of the fight against insurgents.

His mother said the military failed in its responsibility to take care of her son after he returned from war.

Anderson said he suffered from nightmares and was unable to get the treatment he needed by the time he was ordered to redeploy.

He fled across the border at Niagara Falls, Ont., in early 2005.

In Toronto he became a highly visible war critic and spokesman for Canadian peace groups, saying he could no longer support the war in Iraq.

Anderson said he was able to get some treatment for emotional distress while in Canada.

He said he had hoped to build a new life north of the border. But his Canadian lawyer missed a deadline for filing paperwork to have him declared a refugee, which would have allowed him to remain in the country.

Fennerty said Anderson would be on extended leave for a month then would receive a discharge of other than honourable.

U.S. soldier who fled to Canada is missing, again
POSTED: 0217 GMT (1017 HKT), November 1, 2006
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/11/01/soldier.awol.ap/index.html

LOUISVILLE, Kentucky (AP) -- A U.S. Army soldier who fled to Canada rather than return to Iraq has disappeared again.

Pvt. Kyle Snyder, 23, of Colorado Springs, Colorado, told The Associated Press he was supposed to return by bus to Fort Leonard Wood in Missouri on Tuesday.

But he didn't go.

He said he went AWOL after Fort Knox officials in Kentucky told him he would be sent back to his unit, the 94th Engineer Battalion.

Snyder returned to the United States on Saturday, after his lawyer said he had reached a deal to receive an other-than-honorable discharge.

"I came back in good faith," Snyder said Wednesday by phone. "I put my trust in them one more time. Why should I put my trust in them again when I can just go back to Canada?"

He did not disclose his current location.

Messages seeking comment from Gini Sinclair, a Fort Knox spokeswoman, were not immediately returned Wednesday night.

Snyder, a former combat engineer, left the United States for Canada in April 2005 while on military leave to avoid a second tour in Iraq. He said he worked as a welder and at a children's health clinic in Canada.

Snyder has said he was put on patrol when sent to Iraq in 2004, which he said he was not trained to do. He said he began to turn against the war when he saw an Iraqi civilian killed by American gunfire.

Um...what did he expect? I heard stories of deserters living in Canada going back to the US to face the music, and being sent to their old unit from the 70s to clear out/face a quick summary trial! I guess he can't stand the stares and whispers of his former comrades. Too bad - he should suck it up. He made his bed, now he should sleep in it.

GAP said:
U.S. soldier who fled to Canada is missing, again
POSTED: 0217 GMT (1017 HKT), November 1, 2006
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/US/11/01/soldier.awol.ap/index.html
He said he began to turn against the war when he saw an Iraqi civilian killed by American gunfire.

Funny, this is the same guy I saw on a Global documentary last night and he said he saw a guy taken into a building...minutes later heard a shot...and never saw the guy come out. That's not the same thing  as seeing a civilian killed by gunfire......so who's lying....him or the journalist who wrote it???

potato

Hmm, in the battle of who has more integrity - Journalist or Deserter...

Forgive me if I abstain from voting.

Scott said:
Hmm, in the battle of who has more integrity - Journalist or Deserter...

In cases like that... I check with my magic 8 ball.  It's more reliable.

The idiot has now gone AWOL. His unit is stateside and he was put on a bus to Ft Leanard Wood. He thought he would just be discharged at Knox.

tomahawk6 said:
His unit is stateside and he was put on a bus to Ft Leanard Wood.

There lies the problem. Instead of being put on the bus he should have been put under it.

potato

On that note.....

AWOL U.S. soldier reconsiders returning home
Updated Sat. Nov. 4 2006 1:28 PM ET Associated Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061104/awol_soldier_061104/20061104?hub=Canada

LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- Since going to Canada to avoid another deployment to Iraq, Corey Glass has considered returning to the United States. But after hearing that a fellow former soldier who surrendered to the military and was ordered to return to his unit instead of being discharged, Glass may not return at all.

"They're not going to win the hearts and minds like that," said Glass, 24, who signed on with the Indiana National Guard in 2002.

Kyle Snyder, a one-time combat engineer who joined the military in 2003, disappeared Wednesday, a day after surrendering at Fort Knox and 18 months after fleeing to Vancouver instead of redeploying to Iraq.

Snyder, 23, of Colorado Springs, Colo., said a deal had been reached for a discharge, but he found out he would be returned to his unit at Fort Leonard Wood, Mo.

His troubles are complicating efforts for those among the 220 American soldiers who fled to Canada and want to return to the United States, according to lawyers, soldiers and anti-war activists.

"Nobody's going to come back from Canada anymore," said James Fennerty, a Chicago-based attorney who represents Snyder and other AWOL soldiers.

Several soldiers who went to Canada have said they don't want to return to Iraq. Sgt. Patrick Hart, who deserted the Fort Campbell, Ky.-based 101st Airborne Division in August 2005, a month before his second deployment, said he felt misled about the reasons for the war.
More on link

AWOL U.S. soldier reconsiders returning home
Updated Sat. Nov. 4 2006 1:28 PM ET Associated Press
http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061104/awol_soldier_061104/20061104?hub=Canada
"They're not going to win the hearts and minds like that," said Glass, 24, who signed on with the Indiana National Guard in 2002.
"Nobody's going to come back from Canada anymore," said James Fennerty, a Chicago-based attorney who represents Snyder and other AWOL soldiers.
Hearts and Minds?? Holy crap. That's just what we need. A bunch of soldiers who willfully disobey orders and a bunch of left-wing lawyers sticking up for them and wanting no punishment for this willful disobeying of orders and the duty they swore to do.

Disobey orders boys and gals, no punishment necessary, talk a good talk in another country, but don't ever face the consequences of your actions. Talk about coup d'etat in the making. Numpties.

Okay,  I've read this,  please correct me if I don't get this right.

He spoke the the us army,  they had a deal.  He was to return,  get dishonourably discharged get a min sentence (slap on the wrist) and he disappears from the media.  Sounds fair to me.  He goes down there,  finds out they have no intention of honouring their agreement, and now everyone is surprised that the guy took off? (I wonder if he is on his way here or is simply hiding out closer to home until things heat up and then he'll take off)

It is all a little silly at this point. But I am curious how these men are making their living up here.  (I don't think they can rely on hand outs from the hippies)

Sorry to post right after my post, but a quick question (I did some snooping and I thought this might be interesting)

http://www.valinor.sorcery.net/~liam/pictures/2006/06-pride-toronto/pages/cimg5079/1024x768.html

Why are the resisters marching in Toronto gay pride?  Aren't homosexuals not allowed in the US army? :warstory:

Oh and has anyone seen the Documentary "Let them Stay"?  http://www.saramarlowe.com has a free mp3 with the theme song.  (sorry if this was brought up before)

-  Lots of church basements & women looking for a spouse

Zell_Dietrich said:
But I am curious how these men are making their living up here.  (I don't think they can rely on hand outs from the hippies)

The minute they (or anyone for that matter) make a formal Refugee Claim and receive documentation verifying they have done so, they become eligible for Social Assistance (welfare) and remain so (pending any other compliance/eligibility issues etc as per the authourity issuing said benefits) until their Refugee claim is resolved. Should they be granted Convention Refugee Status they of course can continue to receive beneits providing they comply with the eligibility criteria same as any other resident of the municipality/province they reside in.

If denied and they appeal their Deportation Order they will also continue to receive benefits until they leave the country. In theory they could work as they will be issued Employment Authorizations and temp 900 series SINs and therefoe be able to seek work after making their claims and prior to their hearing.

Oh yeah they are also covered under the Canada Health Act for medical benefits/health coverage.

Your hard earned tax dollars at work boys and girls. ::)

Zell_Dietrich said:
Okay,   I've read this,  please correct me if I don't get this right.

He spoke the the us army,  they had a deal.  He was to return,  get dishonourably discharged get a min sentence (slap on the wrist) and he disappears from the media.  Sounds fair to me.  He goes down there,  finds out they have no intention of honouring their agreement, and now everyone is surprised that the guy took off? (I wonder if he is on his way here or is simply hiding out closer to home until things heat up and then he'll take off)

Did anyone from the military say there was an agreement or was it just his lawyers?

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Did anyone from the military say there was an agreement or was it just his lawyers?

(bad joke here)

I believe that the balance of probabilities is that the American armed forces is in contact with these gentlemen. I also believe that in an effort to minimise the bad PR effect they are having they offered "minimum sentences" in exchange for his future silence.  I don't think he would have just thrown up his hands and went back - there would have been an agreement.  He wasn't arrested immediately at the border and submitted himself to the Army.  After doing all of that he then suddenly takes off saying that they aren't honouring their agreement.  Sounds to me like one department was responsible for getting them to come back to the states and another was responsible for dealing with them once they're back.  (Gee in the Government one department not honouring the agreements made by another - shocking,  I've never seen that here)

Flawed Design said:
How do I join one of those peace groups??
Links?

Um,  I respectfully submitt that if civilians want to give aid and comfort to American deserters - they have every right to.  However,  as a member of the CF there are some things that we don't get to do.  I most likely am wrong on this but I thought  that taking direct political action to undermine the strength and efforts of the CF or its allies was .. well a no no for all members of the CF. :warstory: (yes including reservists who are in street cloths and are not known commonly to be a CF member)

As much as I may ... or may not agree with the actions in Iraq,  the Americans are very necessary to our efforts in Afghanistan.  If we start eroding the American ranks out of our outrage over a perceived illegal war of aggression and the moral free fall they may or may not be in, then we are ultimately reducing the strength of Canada. Working against the military/security intrests of Canada ... yes a big no no. ( I don't know if the argument that it is more in our intrest to provide a sanctuary to these men could be made satisfactorily,  as you can read on this thread emotions run high on this issue)

** I don't know if supporting a deserter of an ally would even show up on the radar screen here in Canada - even as a member of the CF, but, I do know that in the States anyone found encouraging someone to desert, giving aid to a deserter (or the seventeen thousand variations of that) is guilty of a felony. If you really do want to help those guys out http://www.resisters.ca they have a donate page,  or you could mail them a cheque ... **

Back