• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"U.K., Canada Discuss Joint Frigate Development"

Australia is expected to acquire the F-35A CTOL variant and achieve Initial Operating Capability in 2014.

:rofl:
http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/threads/99306.0.html

Mark
Ottawa

willellis said:
Little confused. You said it was the CTOL variant in you last quote.

Conventional Take-Off and Landing

I even posted the link to the official RAAF page that explains this quite clearly. I dont know how "less confusing" i could have been.

Haha! No kidding. Carrier take off and landing is what I was thinking.  :facepalm:

Pat in Halifax said:
.hmmm...are there any diesels on that thing...?

I hope not.  They would just take up space and interfere with aircraft landing/taking off.  Equipment and people are much more effective and comfortable in the modern navy when they are IN the ship! ;D

Willellis: The airplanes that operate on "classic" carriers are refered to  as "CATOBAR": Catapult Assisted Take Off Barrier Assisted Recovery.

Pat: I am not aware of any aircrfat carrier currently in service that have diesel engines as mains. Large amphibious ships, however, are a different story. Most of them have diesel or diesel-electric main propulsion systems. The CANBERRA, like its JUAN-CARLOS I counterpart has two main diesel assisted by one gaz turbine for sprint that all produce the electricity needed for its electric pods motors.

This from the Canadian Press:
The Conservative government is slamming the door shut on a British proposal that the two countries work together in building new warships.

"Canada will not be pursuing collaboration with the United Kingdom on our new surface combatant fleet," Jay Paxton, a spokesman for Defence Minister Peter MacKay, said Sunday.

Paxton was reacting to comments made by London's top diplomat in Ottawa, who told The Canadian Press that Canada and Britain could make better use of scarce public dollars by collaborating on new warships.

British High Commissioner Andrew Pocock said that with the economic crisis exerting pressure on defence spending everywhere, it makes sense for Ottawa and London to be discussing ways to co-operate on replacing aging frigates in their respective navies.

"We live in a much more financially constrained world. Every government faces a challenge in making its defence and other spending go as far as possible," Pocock said in an interview ....

But note the gov't did not rule out cooperating with the Brits on design.

Mark
Ottawa

Back