• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trying to start a reserve unit

Don't give up, there is a precident:

1. The Algonquin Regiment in North Bay has a detached sub-unit(pl strength) in Timmins, which is 4 hours north. The Armoury is small but excellent (a renovated curling arena!).

2. The CH of O in Ottawa is growing by a detached sub-unit, into west Ottawa. Your best bet is to attempt the same instead of trying to create a new unit.

3. With the proposed expansion of the army reserves, which aims to increase the militia's footprint into new areas, the prospects look bright, good luck!

Thanks Mike,  That's very good information.  I just provided a document to the Mayor of the chronology in Prince George's efforts to get a reserve unit started over the past 20+ years.  Hopefully his upcoming meetings in Ottawa will be fruitful.

WELL GUYS,  IN THE LAST 4 YEARS I LEFT GRANDE PRAIRIE TO RTU 1 BTN EDMONTON & BACK TO WINNIPEG ( MY ROOTS ) .  THERE IS A SMALL RANGER UNIT OUT OF DAWSON CREEK (110 KMs WEST ).
I DONT THINK THERE WILL BE AN INCREASE IN RES UNITS, AS THE FEARLESS LEADERS IN OTTAWA THINK THE REGS ARE OVER STAFFED ??  THERE IS NOT ENOUGH MONEY IN THE POOL TO PROPERLY FUND WHAT EXISTS NOW.  UNLESS OUR FEARLESS LEADERS WAKE UP AND PROVIDE THE MILITARY WITH A SUDDEN SUSTAINED 400% INCREASE IN FUNDS, THE EXISTING DOWN SPIRAL WILL CONTINUE.
AFTER 38 YEARS AND A WHOLE PILE OF GREY HAIR I HAVE SEEN TOO MANY BASES CLOSE, STAFF CUTS, & BUDGETS WITTLED TO NOTHING. THIS IS A CONTINUING THEME THROUGHOUT THE HISTORY OF CANADIAN MILITARY UNTIL THE FEATHERS FLY AND A POLITICIAN NEEDS THE KUDOS TO ENHANCE THEIR OBJECTIVES.  THERE WAS A POINT IN GRANDE PRAIRIE AFTER CFS BEAVERLODGE CLOSED, WHEN I WAS ASKED TO LOOK AT A RES UNIT THERE.  THE LOCAL SUPPORT WAS THERE, BUT SOMEBODY REMEMBERED TRUDEAU's 1970 WHITE PAPER AND THE REASONS FOR CLOSING BEAVERLODGE WITH ITS 4 MILLION $ UPGRADE 1 YEAR BEFORE CLOSURE.
I HATE TO THROW WATER ON A GOOD FIRE BUT WE NEED TO REGROUP AND BRING WHAT WE HAVE BACK INTO FIGHTING TRIM, THEN EXPAND THE CIRCLE.  AS I WAS COMING UP IN THE RANKS MY TAIL FEATHERS WERE SINGED MORE THAN ONCE FOR MY OPINIONS AND IT WORSENED AFTER COMMISION.

GOOD LUCK.........CH1

I know here in Halifax, the Halifax Rifles Association (Armoured) is trying to re-start this unit again. It's been a process that has been ongoing since the mid-90's and still they have had no success.

Newfoundland and Nova Scotia neither have an armoured reserve regiment, which in my mind is a shame.

I beleive that every province should have at least one Infantry, Artillery, Armoured and Combat Enginner unit.

The Halifax Rifles Association held a meeting with VA and the transcript can be viewed at: Halifax Rifles Association/Veteran Affairs Meeting

Hope this may assist with your quest, and good luck.

I beleive that the reserves should "fan out" into motre comunities but i also beleive that we should wait for the defense review before going into whattypes of units we should stan-up.  We also have to make sure that we can sustain what we have now before adding new units.

I'm not sure what de defense review will have to say ( i have my own opinions on that) but do we realy need more combat arms units ?  Why not new capabilities such as artlilery-findind radar units , NBC units..... ? How about breathing new life to the AD units as well ?  There is only one reg force AD unit and very few pres ones...maybe expand the roles of the reserves in this field as IMHO is is a neglected aspect of the army.

I will admit my lack of knowledge about LFRR ( something i will endevour to fix in the next few hours) but we need to look beyond attachements to former glories i.e. disbanded units) and look at what we have as far as gaps in capabiliites and how we can adress them.

Capital cities of each provice should definately have reserve units as they have a larger population base to draw from. Additionally, cities with universities are also a place that are good to place reserve units.

I agree though that some units should be located in more remote areas as long as there is enough population to support it.

Conservative MP Jay Hill has indicated that he will yet again raise this issue in the house with the MND.  With all this chipping away, eventually something has got to budge.

GDawg said:
Anyone here from Grande Prairie? I heard a rumor years back about trying to get some military presence there, probably Canadian Rangers from what little I heard. I think re-establishing D company of the LER would be a great idea. They could use there old armoury and they would find alot of local support I believe. what do you think Mo-litia?

Maybe we could reestablish C Coy as well - I THINK it was in Vegerville. B Coy was reestablished as our trg coy . . . not sure if it used be be an out of town unit or not. I'm likely dreaming, but . . .

redleafjumper - That's great news - keep us posted, eh?

I received this from MP Jay Hill today.

Redleafjumper

For Immediate Release                                                        Tuesday, February 1, 2005     

Jay Hill Calls for New Bridge and Army Reserve Unit for Prince George
MP Says Feds Should Also Tackle Pine Beetle, Softwood Dispute in Budget 

Ottawa â “ Jay Hill, Official Opposition House Leader and Member of Parliament for Prince George-Peace River, told MPs in the House of Commons today that if the federal Liberals were to follow through on their promises from last June's election campaign, Prince George would likely secure the funding necessary for the Nechako River Industrial Crossing and an army reserve unit.

Hill made the following statement, during Question Period, to coincide with the pre-budget debate that began this week in preparation for the federal budget, which is expected to be tabled in late February:

â Å“Mr. Speaker, this week as MPs deliberate the upcoming federal budget, I am urging the government, on behalf of the 72,000 citizens of Prince George, BC, to remember some of its election promises.

If the government were to keep its promise for a new, fair infrastructure deal for Canadian municipalities, Prince George could get the funding it requires to construct the new Nechako River industrial crossing. 

If the government were to keep its promise to boost the size of Canada's military reserve forces by 3,000 personnel, Prince George could get a 120-member army reserve unit.

If the federal Liberal government were to keep its promise to consider the needs of western Canada, it would properly address the mountain pine beetle epidemic and the softwood lumber dispute.

This could be the budget that stops blowing tax dollars on the useless gun registry, government advertising and corporate welfare, and instead implements tax relief for low- and middle-income Canadian families that they could actually 'take to the bank'!â ?

-30-

For more information, please contact:                     

Jay Hill, M.P.                (613) 947-4524

The conservatives, and especially MPs Jay Hill and Dick Harris, have been big supporters - in fact, no regional politician that I have spoken was against the proposal.  It would be nice if the government would take some action to follow through on its promises.

Redleafjumper

The Mayor of Prince George has recently received a rather positive reply from Dr. Keith Martin, Associate Minister of National Defence, responsible for the reserves, regarding a unit in Prince George.  Keith Martin states in his letter that he will personally take the Prince George proposal to the minister for consideration.  This is encouraging as Dr. Martin worked in Prince George for a time and is familiar with the community and area.

I'm very glad that I stumbled upon this thread.  I am considering joining the regular forces after I graduate from University but decided it would be a good idea to join the Reserves first to find out if the military is for me.  Well, I attend UNBC in PG and imagine my surprise (and disappointment) when I discovered that PG doesn't have a reserve unit.  Hopefully this works out. 

It has been a source of surprise for many people that Prince George doesn't have a reserve unit.  Hopefully with continued lobbying that situation will change.  It wouldn't hurt to write a letter to the defence minister Bill Graham to tell him of your interest in joining the reserves in Prince George.

Done and done.  Not sure what difference it will make, but like you said it can't hurt.  The jist of my letter was basically telling him how it makes no sense that BC's "Northern Capital" lacked a reserve unit.  I talked about how the city of PG would benefit from a reserve unit and as well as how creating a reserve unit in PG would contribute to the promise of expanding the reserve forces by 3,000 as outlined in the 2005 Budget.

Navalsnipr said:
Capital cities of each provice should definately have reserve units as they have a larger population base to draw from. Additionally, cities with universities are also a place that are good to place reserve units.

I agree though that some units should be located in more remote areas as long as there is enough population to support it.

I just read through all the posts and I noticed that nobody seemed to take notice of the next-to-new University of Northern BC campus up in PG. I know for a fact that it is still expanding, and even has a medical school. It will continue to draw in new students and expand in size over the coming years and some of these arrivals may be reservists hoping to transfer to a PG unit when created, me being one of them. The population of our Northern Capital will continue to expand substantially over the next 10 years and there should be a reserve unit up there in the event of an emergency.
Anyways that was just my two cents, I fully support a reserve unit for PG, espicially if I go to university up there!

Cheers,
Daniel AKA Frank the Tank

Whiskey_Dan said:
I just read through all the posts and I noticed that nobody seemed to take notice of the next-to-new University of Northern BC campus up in PG. I know for a fact that it is still expanding, and even has a medical school. It will continue to draw in new students and expand in size over the coming years and some of these arrivals may be reservists hoping to transfer to a PG unit when created, me being one of them. The population of our Northern Capital will continue to expand substantially over the next 10 years and there should be a reserve unit up there in the event of an emergency.
Anyways that was just my two cents, I fully support a reserve unit for PG, espicially if I go to university up there!

Cheers,
Daniel AKA Frank the Tank

Like I said earlier, I attend UNBC and definitlely am interested in joining a reserve unit (if PG gets one) and know that I am not the only one.  Don't forget that PG is also home to CNC which is also prolly full of potential reservists. 

Oh and O/T, I highly recommend you seriously consider UNBC.  It's a great school, I had a blast last year. 

As well, there are a few communities within Prince George (Quesnel, Williams Lake, Vanderhoof) that have fairly decent populations (around 10,000) that may be able to support branches of a PG reserve unit.

Northern BC has no footprint - nothing.

Maybe whoever is serious about this issue should actually form a lobby group, even just to continually write letters to anyone who could be effected/help with the situation. Eg> Regional MP's, city mayor/council, MND, etc etc...

Not sure if it's already been discussed or suggested or DONE, but just an idea...

Good way to keep an online group in-touch like that is with http:://www.yahoogroups.com

I created a webgroup like that for all the new guys I swore in with in the reserves and am on-course with... Works great, you send a message to the group, it emails everyone in the group at once, simple, effective.

Joe

PS> Good luck!

Back