• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trying to find title of 1995 peacekeeping book.

Limey_Dave

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings all from an ex-Brit Sapper and one-time resident of Calgary ('91 to '96). Nice to be aboard.

I'm trying to find the title of a book that was published shortly before I left Calgary. It was a large format book that was basically a year of peacekeeping operation around the world in fantastic colour photos. On the cover was a photo of an Airborne soldier (in silhouette I think) against a lovely  sunrise or sunset (they look the same to me!). There were chapters on Bosnia, somalia, Cyprus etc, etc. In the melee of leaving the ever lovely city of Calgary, I didn't manage to get a copy and have regretted it ever since. Despite repeated and lengthy internet searches with appropriate words in the title, I've had no luck.  Maybe someone here could lend me a hand please ??

Cheers,
Dave

"Between the lines : Canadians in the service of peace"

WOW, that was QUICK !!
Thank you very much indeed. I've just ordered it from Amazon (last copy and bloody expensive but worth it) already.
A great book on some great people doing a crap job in difficult circumstances. Go Canada !!  :salute:

Cheers,
Dave

Limey_Dave said:
WOW, that was QUICK !!
Thank you very much indeed. I've just ordered it from Amazon (last copy and bloody expensive but worth it) already.
A great book on some great people doing a crap job in difficult circumstances. Go Canada !!  :salute:

Cheers,
Dave

You're welcome. I had not looked at my copy in quite some time.

Limey_Dave said:
Greetings all from an ex-Brit Sapper and one-time resident of Calgary ('91 to '96). Nice to be aboard.

I'm trying to find the title of a book that was published shortly before I left Calgary. It was a large format book that was basically a year of peacekeeping operation around the world in fantastic colour photos. On the cover was a photo of an Airborne soldier (in silhouette I think) against a lovely  sunrise or sunset (they look the same to me!). There were chapters on Bosnia, somalia, Cyprus etc, etc. In the melee of leaving the ever lovely city of Calgary, I didn't manage to get a copy and have regretted it ever since. Despite repeated and lengthy internet searches with appropriate words in the title, I've had no luck. Maybe someone here could lend me a hand please ??

Cheers,
Dave

Guess you should have came here earlier  ;D

Tell me about it !  ;D

Normally though I only belong to a couple of forums and they are ones where I can contribute meaningfully and not just take. Nothing worse than some Johnny turning up, grabbing what he want and disappearing again  :-[

So thanks to all for indulging me and CDN Aviator for helping me so quickly.

Cheers,
Dave

There are quite a few others written that are pretty solid and worth the read as well.  A few are very picture intence like the one you mentioned, others arent.  If you are interested I can dig up my bibliography.

"Shadows of War, Faces of Peace" with Photos by Boris Spremo.
http://douglavender.com/writing/shadows-of-war.html
http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/used-books/Shadows-War-Faces-Peace-Canadas-J-L-Granatstein/grp155013436X-1550134361-rare.html

I have a copy. Great photos.

Thanks for the recommendation Medic, I'll give that a look on amazon.

Mav', that bibliography list would be fantastic when you get a chance to dig it up.

Cheers guys,
Dave

Here it is

Bibliography
Dawson, Grant. "Here is Hell": Canada's Engagement in Somalia. Vancouver: UBC Press, 2007.
Dorn, A. Walter. "Peacekeeping then, Now and always." Canadian Military Journal 6, no. 4 (winter, 2005): 105.
Dorn, Walter. "Canada: The Once and Future Peacekeeper?" Peace Magazine 22, no. 4 (Oct-Dec, 2006): 16.
Findlay, Trevor. Blue Helmets' First War? : Use of Force by the UN in the Congo, 1960-64. Clementsport, NS: Canadian Peacekeeping Press, 1999.
Gaffen, Fred. In the Eye of the Storm: A History of Canadian Peacekeeping. Toronto:        Deneau & Wayne, 1987.
Gammer, Nicholas. From Peacekeeping to Peacemaking: Canada's Response to the Yugoslav Crisis. Foreign Policy, Security, and Strategic Studies. Montreal: McGill-Queen's University Press, 2001.
Granatstein, J. L. "War and Peacekeeping: "the Military History of an Unmilitary People."." Beaver [Canada] 1994- 74, no. 6 (1995): 41-53.
Granatstein, J. L. War and Peacekeeping : From South Africa to the Gulf -- Canada's Limited Wars. Toronto: Key Porter Books, 1991.
Granatstein, J. L. and Douglas Lavender. Shadows of War, Faces of Peace: Canada's Peacekeepers. Toronto: Key Porter Books, 1992.
Maloney, Sean M. "Insights into Canadian Peacekeeping Doctrine." Military Review 76, no. 2 (1996): 12-23.
Maloney, Sean M. Canada and UN Peacekeeping : Cold War by Other Means, 1945-1970. St. Catharines, Ont.: Vanwell Pub., 2002.

Back