• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trooping the Colour Video

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
Good stuff
http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/trooping%2Bthe%2Bcolour/video/x5s8va_trooping-the-colour-2008_news

Fly Past
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5s804_trooping-the-colour-2008-fly-past_news

Great videos!!  The Drum horses were gorgeous!!

What a great birthday gift!

Love the notation under both videos:

???

The initial form by the various regiments of foot guards coming on to the parade ground at Horseguards still hurts my head. I've had the opportunity to practice a Trooping, albeit at a much smaller level, and with a frontage of 25 things started to fall apart. How five(?) companies can pull it off in perfect succession is amazing. No one puts on a show like that anywhere else in the world.

What really amazes me about these units is that not only are they outstanding parade ground Soldiers, but just as proficient at warfighting.

I saw the Trooping part of the parade on youtube and the video quality is poor compared to those posted here. I agree that alot of work went into this parade to make it as near perfect as man can make it. The young 2Lt that carried the Colour felt tremendous pride and in a few months will be leading these same men in battle is a bit surreal. The music was first rate as well.

Heh.... only the Brigade of Guard can pull off this majestic afafir with such panache and flair..... Yowze !!!

BZ

No one can put on a show like our Brit friends.... CHIMO!

HighlandIslander said:
The initial form by the various regiments of foot guards coming on to the parade ground at Horseguards still hurts my head. I've had the opportunity to practice a Trooping, albeit at a much smaller level, and with a frontage of 25 things started to fall apart. How five(?) companies can pull it off in perfect succession is amazing. No one puts on a show like that anywhere else in the world.

Their secret? They invest thousands of man hours and millions of pounds sterling on drill and ceremonial on the assumption that it brings in approximately $2 billon in tourism revenue to the capital region annually. How else could you justify permanently assigning at least 2 battalions of infantry and a squadron plus of cavalry to public duties during a two front (Iraq and Afghanistan) war?
::)

Wonderful to see how the various guards start to strut as their
Regimental Marches are being played on the quicktime marchpast.
Watch it live on BBC,the Queen had a bit of a laugh as the parade
commanders horse played up as he asked permission to march
off.
                    Regards

daftandbarmy said:
Their secret? They invest thousands of man hours and millions of pounds sterling on drill and ceremonial on the assumption that it brings in approximately $2 billon in tourism revenue to the capital region annually. How else could you justify permanently assigning at least 2 battalions of infantry and a squadron plus of cavalry to public duties during a two front (Iraq and Afghanistan) war?
::)

Garn.....you're just jealous because the Paras never get invited to play.  ;D

Kirkhill said:
Garn.....you're just jealous because the Paras never get invited to play.  ;D

Drat, unmasked again! (The Paras have done guard mounting before in London... most of us wangled tours to NI where possible to escape such a fate)

Back in the 80s there was a series of studies done in the UK looking at how they could continue to provide the ceremonial benefits of the Guards regiments while reducing the (outrageously high) cost and drain on manpower. I spoke to a Colonel in the MoD who led a team to Canada to look at the way we do the guard at Parliament Hill. When he found out that I was a Canuck, he went on and on about what a great job Canada does while saving money i.e., employing reservists and just doing it during the peak summer months. They also had a look at the Fort Henry guard (awesome). He was very impressed and said they were recommending a similar model be adopted in the UK.

Anyways, they submitted their report which was. of course, ignored. Oh well, old habits (and Guardsmen in the corridors of power) die hard.

As my platoon CSgt at Sandhurst used to say "Enough of this field work, let's get back on the square and do some real soldiering!"

Wow and I thought marchig bands had trouble keeping formations, the Household Calvary band was very impressive

Back