• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trooper Karine Blais - 12e Régiment blindé du Canada - 4 wounded in Afghanistan - Tues 14 Apr 2009

Rest in Peace, Trooper.

My condolences to her family and friends.

And I pray for a speedy recovery to the injured.

My condolences to the Blais family and the 12e Régiment Blindé du Canada.

To fallen soldiers let us sing,
Where no rockets fly nor bullets wing,
Our broken brothers let us bring
To the Mansions of the Lord.

No more bleeding, no more fight,
No prayers pleading through the night,
Just divine embrace, eternal light
In the Mansions of the Lord.

Where no mothers cry and no children weep,
We will stand and guard though the angels sleep,
Oh through the ages safely keep
The Mansions of the Lord.

Trooper Blais is in the thoughts and prayers of my wife and I. My condolences to her family and friends. Best wishes to her wounded comrades.  :cdn:

RIP Trooper Blais, my deepest condolences to the family... truly heartbreaking

RIP Trooper, My condolences go out to her family and friends, your sacrifice will not be forgotten. speedy recovery to her fellow comrades.

Statement
Statement by the Minister of National Defence on the death of Trooper Karine Blais
NR–09.026 - April 14, 2009

OTTAWA – The Honourable Peter Gordon MacKay, Minister of National Defence and Minister for the Atlantic Gateway, issued the following statement today on the death of Trooper Karine Blais:

“My most profound condolences go out to the family and friends of Trooper Karine Blais, who died yesterday in Afghanistan. Please be reassured by knowing that the country stands behind you in these most trying times. I also wish a speedy recovery to the four soldiers who were injured in the same explosion.

Trooper Blais was a professional and dedicated soldier, who served valiantly alongside her comrades to help build a better Afghanistan. The Government of Canada’s dedication to this vital UN mandated, NATO led mission will not waver.

Trooper Blais gave her life while providing hope to Afghans for a brighter future. Her sacrifice will not be forgotten.”

-30-

Trooper Blais was serving with the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, based at Canadian Forces Base Valcartier. 

Message from Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, on the death of Trooper Karine Blais
April 14, 2009

OTTAWA— My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I were deeply saddened to hear of the death of Trooper Karine Blais from the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, based in Valcartier, Quebec. The vehicle she was in exploded upon striking an improvised explosive device in the Shah Wali Kowt District. We were equally distressed to learn of the assassination of Sitara Achakzai, a courageous and proud activist for the rights of her countrywomen, who was gunned down at point-blank range.  The Talibans were quick to claim responsibility for this unprecedented violence, fiercely dedicated to hindering all efforts to further development and stability in Afghanistan.

We would like once again to express our deep respect for the work of the women and men of the Canadian Forces who give their all, despite the ever present dangers associated with this perilous mission. Our soldiers risk their lives answering the call of duty by working shoulder to shoulder with a people who for decades have been left idle and subjected to terror, intimidation, insecurity and barbarous confrontations on a daily basis.

Trooper Blais and Sitara Achakzai shared a dream of creating a more just and equitable world and bringing desperately needed peace to Afghanistan. The soldier and the parliamentarian both knew how important it is for women and men of goodwill to join forces to achieve this end.

Today, Canada and Afghanistan mourn the loss of two exemplary citizens.

We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Trooper Blais and her comrades, who continue to battle oppression and chaos in Afghanistan. We also wish a swift and complete recovery to the four soldiers who were injured in the explosion, and our thoughts are with those mourning the death of Sitara Achakzai. May they know that they are not alone.

Michaëlle Jean

-30-

Media information
Marie-Ève Létourneau 
Rideau Hall Press Office
613-998-0287
www.gg.ca   
www.citizenvoices.gg.ca 

Statement by the Prime Minister of Canada
14 April 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

Prime Minister Stephen Harper issued the following statement today on the death of Trooper Karine Blais:

“It is with utmost sorrow that I extend my condolences, and those of all Canadians, to the family and loved ones of Trooper Karine Blais, who was killed by an explosion yesterday in Afghanistan.  I also hope for the quick and full recovery of the four other Canadian soldiers injured in the attack.

“Canadians are extremely proud of Trooper Blais’ honourable service to her country.  This is a challenging mission that poses many risks to the brave men and women of the Canadian Forces.  Nevertheless, the Government of Canada and our international allies are committed to the noble task of helping the people of Afghanistan achieve peace and stability while rebuilding their war-ravaged country.  Canadians can rest assured that their brave men and women in uniform are resilient, and will persevere.

“This is a tragic loss for the Canadian Forces and all of Canada.  Canadians will be forever grateful for Trooper Blais’ sacrifice.”

R.I.P Trooper Blais
Your in our prayers and thoughts.
My condolences go out to the family of this young soldier, your in our thoughts as well.
For the soldiers who were injured, I hope you have a speed recovery.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old. :salute:

I took this photo at work this afternoon. It is Toronto EMS Headquarters. Toronto Paramedics today lowered our flags at HQ and all ambulance stations city-wide as a mark of respect for Trooper Blais.
http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9619/hpim0208.jpg

Soldier killed, four injured in Afghanistan

09-0295_m.jpg

Tpr Karine Blais served with the 12e Régiment blindé du Canada based at CFB/ASU Valcartier.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario — One Canadian soldier was killed and four others were injured on April 13, when their armoured vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device.

The fallen soldier, Trooper Karine Blais, was a member of the 12e Régiment blindé du Canada based at CFB/ASU Valcartier. Trooper Blais was serving with the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group.

Tpr Blais leaves behind her mother Josée, her grandmother Laurette and her brother, Billy.

The incident occurred at approximately 5 p.m., Kandahar time, in the Shah Wali Kowt District, north of Kandahar City. 

The injured soldiers were evacuated by helicopter to the Multinational Medical Unit at Kandahar Airfield.  Their names will not be released.

Her Excellency the Right Honourable Michaëlle Jean, Governor General and Commander-in-Chief of Canada, issued the following statement on the death of Tpr  Blais:

“My husband, Jean-Daniel Lafond, and I were deeply saddened to hear of the death of Tpr Karine Blais from the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Régiment Battle Group, based in Valcartier, Quebec. The vehicle she was in exploded upon striking an improvised explosive device in the Shah Wali Kowt District. We were equally distressed to learn of the assassination of Sitara Achakzai, a courageous and proud activist for the rights of her countrywomen, who was gunned down at point-blank range.  The Talibans were quick to claim responsibility for this unprecedented violence, fiercely dedicated to hindering all efforts to further development and stability in Afghanistan.

“We would like once again to express our deep respect for the work of the women and men of the Canadian Forces who give their all, despite the ever present dangers associated with this perilous mission. Our soldiers risk their lives answering the call of duty by working shoulder to shoulder with a people who for decades have been left idle and subjected to terror, intimidation, insecurity and barbarous confrontations on a daily basis.

“Tpr Blais and Sitara Achakzai shared a dream of creating a more just and equitable world and bringing desperately needed peace to Afghanistan. The soldier and the parliamentarian both knew how important it is for women and men of goodwill to join forces to achieve this end.

“Today, Canada and Afghanistan mourn the loss of two exemplary citizens.

“We extend our heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of Tpr Blais and her comrades, who continue to battle oppression and chaos in Afghanistan. We also wish a swift and complete recovery to the four soldiers who were injured in the explosion, and our thoughts are with those mourning the death of Sitara Achakzai. May they know that they are not alone.”

The number of Canadians killed in Afghanistan since Canada’s mission got underway is now 120: 117 soldiers, two aid workers and one diplomat. 

Project Number:09-0295

Back