• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Traveling to Cuba, any precautions needed?

See your Unit Security Officer if you have any other questions.  You may have an interview/briefing before going, and another on your return. 

A colleague of mine was just telling of his recent trip down to Cuba and being detained for 20 minutes at Customs and then being under surveillance for his whole vacation there.  He said that there was definitely no "Shop Talk" done while there.  Many people have gone and enjoyed their vacations.  Your friends definitely don't know what they were talking about, or were just pulling your leg.

I'm  travelling to Cuba with my family over Christmas.  I have been informed that Cuba has specific requirements with regards to health insurance.  Has anyone with dependants covered under the Public service health care plan (PSHCP) and themselves as a CF member covered under Blue Cross experienced any issues with customs?

Many thanks!

Make sure the PSHCP covers out of country illness, injury, hospitalization, etc.  Blue Cross does for CF members.  If not, get added insurance (e.g. CAA or other) for your family.

Thanks, and good advice  Coverage has already been confirmed for both Blue Cross and PSHCP.
I was specifically concerned about Cuban customs officials recognizing that coverage exists.
The cards issued by Sun Life bear only the name of the CF member as opposed to the beneficiary.
If anyone has visited Cuba in the last year, I would greatly appreciate the input.

High5sAndChocolateCake said:
Thanks, and good advice  Coverage has already been confirmed for both Blue Cross and PSHCP.
I was specifically concerned about Cuban customs officials recognizing that coverage exists.
The cards issued by Sun Life bear only the name of the CF member as opposed to the beneficiary.
If anyone has visited Cuba in the last year, I would greatly appreciate the input.

PSHCP Out of Province Benefit Emergency Benefit While Travelling as well as the Outside Canada Provision, see the PHSCP Plan Booklet --->  http://www.njc-cnm.gc.ca/directive/index.php?did=9&lang=eng

Basically, upto to $500K in emergency benefits for a period of not more than 40 days from the date you left Canada.

Also, I believe you have to complete the Non-Duty Travel Notification which is done "on-line" (DWAN Accessible ONLY).  Once completed, your good to go and if CFNCIU needs to brief you, they will call.

High5sAndChocolateCake said:
I'm  travelling to Cuba with my family over Christmas.  I have been informed that Cuba has specific requirements with regards to health insurance.  Has anyone with dependants covered under the Public service health care plan (PSHCP) and themselves as a CF member covered under Blue Cross experienced any issues with customs?

Many thanks!

It's another of the more recent Govt sponsored cash grabs. They are insisting that everyone must have out of province/country medical insurance. The stuff you buy from your travel agent for $20.00-40.00 along with lost luggage, trip cancelation insurance etc. This is in addtion to your Provincial (or CF) Health insurance. If you don't have it ( and proof)  thay can sell you their overpriced version there at the airport  or deny you entry. I have unlimited travel insurance ( medical, luggage etc) on my credit card and just ensure a copy of the policy and 1-800 card are with my tickets, Passports etc.

Years back they ran a similar scam on hotel rooms. As a lot of more independent travellers weren't using package resort tours and buying air only and staying with friends or at black market casas (rooming houses) the MINIT guys were demanding proof of at least one night's hotel on arrival. You showed up at Immigration without a printed reservation for at least the first night, then you were directed to a desk where a helpful tourist employee helped you book and pay for one night in the most expensive hotel in the area.  8)

Nope - just let someone know up the chain if you have something to report when you get back.

j_drews105 said:
As a class a reservist, do you need permission to go to cuba?

No. But you should notify your CoC of your travel plans. I have gone on a few holidays there while serving, and no issues.

There is an "online" reporting mechanisim for use anytime you travel outside continental North America I believe.  I will post the DWAN link in the morning.

1.  Make sure you fill out and submit the CFNCIU Intent to travel form.  You should be able to find it on the DWAN site.

2.  Don't bring your cellular telephone.  Cellphones with GPS are banned in Cuba, so it could be confiscated at immigration.  Besides, if you're like most people I know, you probably have way too much personal information in it that you don't want Cuban authorities to have.  If you really have to, bring an old one.

3.  Remember that everyone in the tourist industry - from travel guides to hotel desk clerks - are government employees.  They do not need to know where you work.

Folks,

1.The question was from a Class A reservist. Unless things have changed in a year, he doesn't need to do anything other than let his CoC know that he's travelling. Same case when I went.

2. Roxie, not sure where you're getting your info from. I was there a year ago, and had my Blackberry ( work issued). It worked fine on the CUBATEL network ( albeit with higher charges than normal), but no one in customs, hotel staff, etc made any issues whatsoever about it. Several other travellers had their smartphones with them as well.

DAA said:
There is an "online" reporting mechanisim for use anytime you travel outside continental North America I believe.  I will post the DWAN link in the morning.

DWAN Link --->  cdi.mil.ca/sites/page-eng.asp?page=3022

"DND/CF members who are proceeding on vacation )Non-Duty) travel outside of Canada or the USA are strongly encouraged to notify the CFNCIU."

Also, see CF Leave Manual, Section 2.6 for additional information that may apply at local level.

The information I got regarding GPS cell phones came from the Cuban Customs officer I talked to at Immigration, however that was 7 years ago (when GPS in cellphones was relatively new) so perhaps they have become more lenient since then.  A quick look on http://www.aduana.co.cu/ however, shows that GPS units still require an import permit so take that for what it's worth.

If you're going to a resort Cuban authorities probably won't even give you a second look but they might have a few more questions if you're on a do-it-yourself vacation like I was.

Oh and leave the dog tags, ID card and leave pass at home.

Just got back and didn't even give my BB with GPS a second look. No real changes since my last visit. Same scams at the airport, re overwieght bags on the return trip. Exchange rate ran from  92-94 CUCs Pesos to $100.00 Cdn throughtout the week. Prices for beer etc were up a bit it seemed.

1. Ensure you take nothing that identifies you as Military.
2. Strip your wallet of your ID card or anything that could link you to the military, including your National Defence blue cross card
3. Read the CFNCIU power point presentation
4. Complete the electronic "notice of intent to travel" form online.

That is all I did in Nov

Navalsnipr said:
1. Ensure you take nothing that identifies you as Military.
2. Strip your wallet of your ID card or anything that could link you to the military, including your National Defence blue cross card
3. Read the CFNCIU power point presentation
4. Complete the electronic "notice of intent to travel" form online.

That is all I did last Feb.  :dunno:

We're going in a little over a month.  All I did was file the notice of intent to travel, they responded with "no briefing necessary, just read our travel notes".

What I'd like to know is - did anyone find any wifi hotspots?  ;)

As others have stated, leave the electronic battlebox at home, don't wear your reserve BMQ course t-shirt or regimental PT strip on the beach, and keep your trap shut about your occupation. The likelihood is that unless you are the CDS or Chief Military Intelligence, they already know everything you do anyways, i.e. there is little int value in Pte Bloggins, Rifleman, 4 Bn Penticton Yeomanry, who knows how to work a C6 and has G-wagon on his 404's. Besides, they are more interested in your money.

As for Wi-fi, I honestly didn't even think to look last time I was there (2010), I'm sure the upscale resorts (5*+) might have it but then again, I didn't go to Cuba for the internet :)

Back