• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transferring Trades in the PRes

IntlBr

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

First post and what not, but my question is still legit.  I don't want to be too specific about things, because I don't want to get into bad-books at my unit, as I'm new, and its a small unit to begin with.  I'm currently signed on as one of the technical trades (NCM of course) with an EME unit as part of a Service Battalion.  When I first enlisted (about 6 months ago), I wanted to get in as a an Intelligence Operator, but I was told that generally, the Intel Branch doesn't take people directly off the street without previous CF (and sometimes RCMP) experience.  Regardless, that's just a bit of background.

My 'real' problem is the following:  My unit is really far away from where I live.  Worse still, in September, I have a choice of going to a mediocre university which would be right near my unit (and girlfriend), or going to one of two different universities roughly 7 hours away.  So obviously, if I decide on one of the other two schools, its really going to mess things up at my unit.  I was told by one of the Sup Techs at my unit that I could get attach-posted, but the problem is that where I'd be going to school, there are no close Svc Bn units - only an Arty unit, and an Infantry unit.  Further, I won't be QL3 qualified by then, which will leave me BMQ/SQ out of the way, but a tradeless no-hook wonder, so I won't actually be able to offer either of the units anything, aside from another body to show up for weekly trg, etc.

The problem with those schools that if I go there, I'll end up living in one of the cities for the school portion of the year, and return home for the summer, where I assume I'll be re-posted to my current unit.  However, I'd like to try again at getting admittance to the Intel Branch as an Operator before I start spending time doing trades training for a trade that I am not 100% interested in. 

Advice on the problems presented above would be much appreciated!  Especially if someone has gone through something similar, regardless of if it was identical or not.  Thanks all!

I am certainly not a recruiting or CT guru so I can't necessarily answer your question but I have one for you:  why don't you do a weekend BMQ with the infantry unit near your school during the school year.  Atleast that way, the course is done and it is out of the way.  It is a course common to all recruits so you are going to have to take it anyway.

So you want to go INT eh?  Well, my advice is to go to the Arty or Infantry unit and join them.  Get qualified QL 5 Infantry or Artillery and spend a couple years with them.  You would be much more attractive to the Int Branch then.  INT wants people, preferably with Cbt Arms experience.  There are several threads on what they want on this site. 

As for Attach Posting and the returning to your Unit for the summer; don't even worry about that.  Most Reserve Units are Stood Down for the Summer.  If you join that Infantry or Artillery Unit at one of those other Universities, you can be employed by them just as easily for the summer at Camp as a Student, or as Staff.  Either way, if you are employed for the summer, it will most likely be at Camp and not at home.

Interesting!

Thanks for the replies, both of you.  I'm already on a BMQ, just about done actually, and the SQ will be on full-time rather shortly.  I would of gone straight up Infantry instead of EME, but my eyesight is very poor in one eye, and I don't make V-cut for the occupational requirements.

I could try getting on at one of those units under my current CSS trade, but when the INT starts considering me.. would that count as Cbt Arms experience?  I'm guessing it wouldn't, even if I was doing all of the exercises with the unit, etc.

IntlBr said:
...one of those units under my current CSS trade....would that count as Cbt Arms experience?

Your CSS time can count as Combat Arms ONLY if you've successfully attacked an enemy position with a stapler or a wrench, depending on your CSS trade.  ;)

While Intelligence strongly prefers applicants have previous experience, some things are more flexible within the military than others - - and this is one of them. Also, you don't have to be Cbt A to be considered possessing "previous experience." In fact someone with an understanding of logistics can contribute immensely to understanding an adversary's likely intentions.

In a previous life as the "Reg Force guy" with a Reserve Int unit, I periodically saw people recruited with no military experience whatsoever. It wasn't the preferred method, but it wasn't so rare as to raise eyebrows anywhere (or eyebrow, if you're artillery and reading this).

There's no harm in asking! Go to the nearest Intelligence unit and ask there first though - - let them assist your passage through the transfer system, since some uniformed bureaucrat will likely say, "you haven't served 20 years and had three deployments with an infantry unit....so stop wasting my precious time - - get out."

Thanks for everyone who has replied, its given me a lot of insight on this whole thing.  I've been stalking the forums here for the last several months, but I hadn't decided to dig-in until I had a few months in, in the PRes. 

Now, one more question:  If I decide to go away to one of those two farther-away universities, who do I tell first?  The unit in the town that I'll end up in?  Or do I tell my unit first?  What would the procedure be for that?

IntlBr said:
Now, one more question:  If I decide to go away to one of those two farther-away universities, who do I tell first?  The unit in the town that I'll end up in?  Or do I tell my unit first?  What would the procedure be for that?

First, you should contact the unit you want to go to, to see if they have positions on their establishment for you, and if they'd take you. If the answer is yes to both, you do the following.

You will put up a memo through your chain of command, requesting a transfer to said unit, for said reason. You will then go to your OR, see the clerk who is reponsible for transfers, and request that they start you off on the outclearance and transfer process.

The paperwork can take some time, and reserve orderly rooms have huge backlogs, so A) be patient, and B) call every few days to get updates on your transfer. Make sure the transfer request message goes out ASAP. The Orderly Room clerk will understand what that means.

If you have any specific questions about your transfer process, ask the clerk. If you think somethings up, feel free to PM me. (I just finished a 7 month stint processing these as a unit Release/Transfer clerk)

Also, if you're requesting to change trades as well, make sure your memo states, and you ask the clerk for the paperwork for an "Occupational Transfer" to the trade you want.

or eyebrow, if you're artillery and reading this).  Hmmmm I know where you live.

kincanucks said:
Hmmmm I know where you live.

Not YOU, of course. I meant the other unibrow, pole-like family tree, gunners out there    ;D

You're still going to let my kid sign up though, right?

------------
Edited out of family concerns ;)

Journeyman said:
Not YOU, of course. I meant the other unibrow, pole-like family tree, gunners out there    ;D

You're still going to let my kid sign up though, right?

------------
Edited out of family concerns ;)

Keep digging.  ;D

Back