• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transferring between reserve units?

jonsey

Inactive
Reaction score
In my neverending quest to figure out what I want to do with my life, I've come a little closer to my decision. I found an Audio Engineering School in Toronto that I'm all but positive that I want to go to (planning for next Sept. giving me time to save up enough cash).

If I were to join a reserve unit in Hamilton (Argylls), and did my BMQ/SO over the summer, what problems would I encounter when I go to school (I would be moving to Toronto, the commute isn't feasable). Would it be possible to transfer to a Toronto unit for the 9 months of the program, would I be better off taking time off and returning to the unit for the BIQ course the following summer or is there another option?

Or am I just SOL and should wait till after I finish the program.

Yes.  You can transfer to another unit.  Another option you may want to talk to your chain of command about is an attach posting if you are planning on coming back after the course.  When the time gets a little closer, talk to your unit and see what they are willing to do.

If the program is only 9 months long it might take that long to process your initial application and have you sworn in, so by the time you're done your program and moved back to hamilton you could be good to go...
Transferring is a pain felt directly in the ass, and would probably take ages and in the end wouldn't be worth it really.
See if the attached posting is a feasible idea, if not..remember...everything takes forever to get done in the military so get started now on whatever it is you're going to do!

Good luck, and remember info on this site is not a replacement for advice given to you by a recruiter, so get to a CFRC asap.

beach bum, I'm sure you're talking about parading with another unit, right? It was very easy to do so when I was in, I'm sure things have changed since but a few years back we used to have strange faces on parade (Strange cap badges too) all the time. The town I paraded in has two colleges and alot of people from the Atlantic Provinces, invariably some Reservists, go to school there. I was offered the opportunity to parade with 1RNfldR while I was in fire school but turned it down to concentrate better on my studies.

Sorry for the ramble, hope some of this helps.

Well, Che, the program is 9 months, but I'm not planning on starting till next September at the earliest. I was planning on joining the reserves so that I could get onto next summer's BMQ/SQ and have that done before I go.  So, I have roughly 10 months to do the application, before the next summer training starts.

Yeah, that's the same thing I've had questions about. I am trying to plan out where I want to go to university, but yet have a place to train nearby. I've heard it also may be trade dependant, as some units are only for infantry...etc.

Jonsey:

Don't worry about it. You can get enrolled with us, and train with us over the summer, and then parade with a unit in Toronto over the school year.

You will remain an Argyll, so coming back to us in the summer is not a problem. In fact, you can also do our exercises over the fall/winter, if you can work them into your schedule.

For example, we have one guy who is an Argyll, and trains with us over the summer, and then parades with the 11th Fd in Guelph during the school year. He occassionally makes it out on our fall/winter Exs, cause the Arty Exs are not his speed.

So, this is NOT an issue at all.

Call me at 905.541.ARMY if you need more info.

Back