• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Transer to MP or Intelligence

coreymclean

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering what Position do you guys beleive would be best suited if I plan on eventually switching over to MP or Intelligence.

I want to be a MP but the recruiter said that it is full until at least april when they start the recruiting process anew He told me I might think about another area and possible transfer (especially if I wanted Intelligence as they look for that)

I was wondering what would be the best . . .or at least the best in your opinion

thanks

Did he also tell you that transfers are competitive and that manning issues may preclude from doing a transfer between trades ?

Thats something you should consider....you may never be allowed to transfer to another trade. 

So, if you are going to come in something other than MP...make sure its something you are going to like for 25 years....

Or wait until you can apply to MP

MP trade not taking anyone. Thats new to me.

Here I was sitting, thinking the trade was hurting for manpower.

I don't get it. What do you do now? I mean if you're already in the CF, and you've got 3 yrs plus your MOC training you can attempt a transfer to the Int world right now. Why do you want to bother with a transfer to the MPs and then Int? Or am I missing something here?

You want to go into MP and then transfer to Int afterwards?

MedTech said:
I don't get it. What do you do now? I mean if you're already in the CF, and you've got 3 yrs plus your MOC training you can attempt a transfer to the Int world right now. Why do you want to bother with a transfer to the MPs and then Int? Or am I missing something here?

You want to go into MP and then transfer to Int afterwards?

Hes not in the military....just wants to be an MP officer

CDN Aviator said:
Hes not in the military....just wants to be an MP officer

Ah. Yeah, saw that he had created 3 separate questions in one go. I'm still confused though, he realizes that he can apply for IntO directly without transferring from MPO right?

Dissident said:
MP trade not taking anyone. Thats new to me.

Here I was sitting, thinking the trade was hurting for manpower.

Not having the stats in front of me I can't speak to specific occupations.  But there are certain trades which are short of trained people right now that are closed for recruiting.  Why?  Because between the recruit school, PAT platoons and the trade school there are sufficient numbers to reach the trained strength targets, or at least sufficient people to keep the trade school filled for the foreseeable future; just increasing the PAT platoons does no one any favours.

But I'd echo what has already been said:  Never join a trade you don't want to stay in, "just to get in".  Occupational transfers can be a protracted and arduous experience, with no guarantee of success.

I do realize i can aply for INT officer right away but I was told they prefer people from Transfer

I prefer MP BUT the way it was described to me was that theey will be full to the brim for the next while (at least a year)
and that contracts were 3 years at min

So i figured pulling in for another disciplines 3 year contract would get me the oifficer training and make me a better applicant when apply for a transfer or applying to the job at the end of my contract???

Am I way off base here??

This is my opinion.

If your end goal is IntO apply for that now. Don't waste the CF's money and time to train you as an MPO and then for you to not stick around in that MOC. That's just me.

Don't confuse being "full" as meaning there will be no positions coming available for 3 years, it simply means they have met the quota for this year and will not be recruiting anyone until at least April.  Once the new numbers come out, they will recruit until that quota is met.

I can't comment on Int O, but if you really want to be a MPO, stick to your guns and wait.  There are very few MPO positions (relatively) annually and you could find yourself in the position of having settled for a MOS with the plan to OT only to find yourself "stuck" with what you were recruited as for your entire career.  It has also been my observation that lately, very few MPO are OTs, they are either direct entry or from the ranks...

"I prefer MP BUT the way it was described to me was that theey will be full to the brim for the next while (at least a year)
and that contracts were 3 years at min"

So it appears your preferred end state is to become an MPO.  If that is the case, don't waste the Int Branch's already scarce training resources if you're not in it for the long haul.

coreymclean said:
I was just wondering what Position do you guys beleive would be best suited if I plan on eventually switching over to MP or Intelligence.

From your original question it sounds like you will sign up with a third trade and then eventually try to transwfer to MP or Int.

- If this was what you meant, and you're not going to sign up directly with MP or Int, you have more important things to worry about, like getting accepted to your first choice.  Leave the transfer question for another time.

- If this is not what you meant, and you're going to sign up directly for MP or Int, you should figure out what you want to do and apply for that.  Dont play games and try to 'beat the system', or waste your time getting trained to do something just so you can change trades later.  I can just see you on your course - "Im only here to pass and then retrade to XXX" , followed by classified by staff as 'poor attitude', followed by 'so long sucker'...

- Or, perhaps you should rephrase the question.

- Or, you can follow the advice of others on this site, ignore what everyone says here, and just ask your local recruter who apparently has all the answers...

BF1 said:
"I prefer MP BUT the way it was described to me was that theey will be full to the brim for the next while (at least a year)
and that contracts were 3 years at min"

So it appears your preferred end state is to become an MPO.  If that is the case, don't waste the Int Branch's already scarce training resources if you're not in it for the long haul.

EXACTLY!

You already have a preference as to what you want.  Don't waste anyone's time with this nonsense. 

If you do take another Trade, any Trade, you will still not become a MP in three years and perhaps be in a "RED" Trade and not allowed to Transfer out. 

Make up you mind now.  Stick to your guns and become a MP. 

You are not going to be applying as a MPO with a Philosophy degree and expect to be accepted.

kincanucks said:
You are not going to be applying as a MPO with a Philosophy degree and expect to be accepted.

Are they opposed to philosophy in the provost marshal office?

Greymatters said:
Are they opposed to philosophy in the provost marshal office?

I know for MP you need a Law Enforcement degree of somekind, so I am assuming you would need one as well to be MPO

Is that new?  I always thought it was only a preference, and the web site has it written that way as well:

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=81&bhcp=1

To be eligible for a position as a Commissioned Military Police Officer, candidates must have an undergraduate degree from a recognised university, preferably in a criminal justice-related field. Commissioned Officer entry plans may differ depending on qualifications.

Hmm I guess it is a preference for the MPO, although it does seem to be a requirement for the MP's

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=811&bhcp=1

"The minimum academic requirement is a community college diploma in Law and Security Administration, Police Foundations, or a similar program from a recognised Community College or CEGEP. "

I wonder why it would be a requirement for NCM's but for Officer's it is only a preference.

Probably different HR staff who didnt get their job descriptions cross-checked...

Probably because a MPO is not actively involved in policing, but more in administration.  MPs, however, are actively involved as Peace Officers and must be proficient in enforcing the Law.

Back