• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trade Training

TN2IC

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Okay, please correct me if I'm wrong. The Infantry "OL3" is "Battle School" in Medford or Wainwright. Depending on what unit you want to be with? And it's 17 weeks long? How often a year do they run these courses per each base? And do you ususally have a choice which Regiment you would "like" to belong to?

Regards,
TN

DP1 is the current name in use. I know for NCM you pick the Regiment you wish to join at the CFRC not sure about officers

DP1 Infantry for the Anglo Regiments is
Wainwright for PPCLI and some courses are run in Shilo

Meaford for RCR,  not sure if they use Gagetown as well

Length,  not sure but AFAIK it combines BMQ-L with DP1

TN said:
Okay, please correct me if I'm wrong. The Infantry "OL3" is "Battle School" in Medford or Wainwright. Depending on what unit you want to be with? And it's 17 weeks long? How often a year do they run these courses per each base? And do you ususally have a choice which Regiment you would "like" to belong to?

Regards,
TN

How often it is run depends on how many new recruits we get.  I believe the plan is to run one this fall. We have not ran one for a while as we have not had the troops.

It will be myself doing an OT. I'm hoping the best for me. I spent some time with 2RCR when I was younger, attached for an exercise, and enjoy it. Where I am now, I'm not so happy. All about customer service in my trade. Not trying to be bitter about it. But I think it's time for a change.

Regards,
TN

Can anyone tell me the MOSID for Infantry Soldier, before I fire off my memo?

Regards,
TN

You do know that Infmn is overstrength right?

MSE Op - 101.4%
Infmn - 108%

*based on current info avail on Occ Matrix, forecast for 31 Mar 12.

Thanks for the information Eye in the Sky. But I"ll still push it. And hope for the best. When I was on the APS site; they show a lot of openings in 2RCR. So best luck on my career change. Driving buses or delivering box lunches sucks, I want a LAV instead.  :evil:

Regards,
TN

Well, good luck.  If you haven't already, might be worth your time to contact the FPSO shop.

From what I've heard/been told APS openings don't mean much in the terms of trade openings, as the overmanned Infantry PYs count all 031s, including those base jobs(example range control), schools,  CANSOF, and possibly those in the training system still(?)
Good luck with it,  but it may take some time to get what you want.

Just to add, the #s I was looking at were strictly TES and PML, not PATs as well.  So PML is 108%.

Now, the real question is how accurate those #s are....something the PSO shop can get "live" info on.

Few questions on my OT here:

1)So if I do get accepted into Infantry trade, what cap badge do I wear? My Logistics or a Infantry Branch one? After battle school, they re-badge you to the appropriate regiment?

2)Will Battle School accept me using the 64 rucksack? Or can I draw a new fancy CADPAT one from Supply before going? And what about Gucci boots? aka SWATs, go or no go.

3)During Battle School, are you expected to have Regimental PT clothing from your "soon to be" new unit?

I just want to make sure I got all my ducks in a row,
Thanks in advance for the help,
Regards,
TN

During battle school, candidates wear the Infantry cap badge, then on graduation day they are presented their regimental cap badge (at least in LFWA TC).  For the rucksack I would expect you will be issued the new rucksack or be using the 82 pattern ruck, don't count on using something different.  Same with boots, unless you have a chit expect to be wearing issue boots only.  They don't expect you to have regimental PT-strip as you are not (whatever regiment) yet, you usually wear the grey issue PT gear. 

Do. Not. Do. Things. To. Stick. Out...

like boots or rucks or hardcore PT strip. With the latter one, you will be told to promptly remove it as staff will have a sense of pride about being able to wear it. They passed training and done the time, you haven't. Wearing it may put crosshairs on you.

dangerboy said:
During battle school, candidates wear the Infantry cap badge, then on graduation day they are presented their regimental cap badge (at least in LFWA TC).  For the rucksack I would expect you will be issued the new rucksack or be using the 82 pattern ruck, don't count on using something different.  Same with boots, unless you have a chit expect to be wearing issue boots only.  They don't expect you to have regimental PT-strip as you are not (whatever regiment) yet, you usually wear the grey issue PT gear.

Just a question, when we go to BMQ or Battle School, are we issued out full uniform? Or are we to go and buy our uniforms on our own time, and bring them up. I see you said that rucksacks should be issued and that we wear the infantry cap badge. Just making sure I have some clarification. Just not sure if were initially given uniforms to wear and keep when we get to BMQ or what?

When you get to BMQ, you will be issued what you need for BMQ. Some of it will stay with you from that point on, some of it not. When you get to the next course, they will issue you what you need, some of it you will keep, some of it not.

Ahhh! Good just trying to clarify what the whole process will be like----what to expect etc. Thank you!

RyaeC said:
Ahhh! Good just trying to clarify what the whole process will be like----what to expect etc. Thank you!

Stop over-thinking. That's what you should be doing.

Eye In The Sky said:

You do know that Infmn is overstrength right?

MSE Op - 101.4%
Infmn - 108%

The CF is hiring around 100+ for PPCLI and around 70+ for The RCR. i got these numbers last week from my interviewer. The selections start Aug 7th.
*Edit* Both are for 1st Regiments*

Back