• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Trade badges

orange.paint

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
I've seen it covered in one other topic regarding the infantry and it still don't answer the question I have pertaining to the armoured trade badge.I've talked with superiors in my chain and outside,and the only thing I can come to is that its not set in stone.However remembrance day is finally approaching(the one parade I enjoy attending)and i wish to get a solid answer on this.

Everyone I talked to had a different view of how it went,right down to some saying"wear what you ******* want I don't care." ;D

Everyone agreed on the basic trade badge (just the leopard) being grad of battle school.

The second one starts to get a bit confusing.It was originally told to me you had to have two PCF (IE Leo dvr and gunner)to put up your wreath.I was also told as long as you had a TQ4 (one pcf) you were able to put up the wreath.

Next is the point I'm at that is causing the greatest confusion.When do you put up the crownand take down the wreath?Some put it up after PLQ (IE where I am at) or do you have to finish your crewcommanders course?

I have searched the DIN,and I believe Bzzlteyr has also searched for this answer at work with no results even from standards.I know there use to be a sheet floating around the RCD lines in 2001 that had all the badges for the armoured corp and what qualified a crewman to wear it.However this cannot be found anywhere on my end.

Anyone out there got any solid answers on this?
Going for a run,hope you guys can help out....you got till 21:00!

cheers
thanks in advance

OK...here it goes:

Leopard- one PCF

Leo w/ wreath- 2 PCFs

Leo w/crown - PLQ Qual

Leo w/crown and wreath - CC qual and Ptl Comd qual (Not too sure on that though)

Regards

NOW I know what you guys are talking about.
OK, I'll use the term "bayonet", but insert "tank" for "bayonet"
;)
DP 1: bayonet only
above plus PCF: Bayonet with wreath
Above plus PLQ: Bayonet with crown
Above plus 1 x Adv Course (armd 3a would qualify, not just AGIC): with crown and wreath

I THINK this is how it goes.

Armyvern?  er...ah...gasmasked warrior?  Whoever?
;)

I know for combat engineers it goes:

QL3 - Flaming Grenade
QL5 - Flaming Grenade w/Laurels
QL6A - Flaming Grenade w/crown
QL6B - Flaming Grenade w/crown and laurels (not sure on this one)?

Nfld_Sapper said:
I know for combat engineers it goes:

QL3 - Flaming Grenade
QL5 - Flaming Grenade w/Laurels
QL6A - Flaming Grenade w/crown
QL6B - Flaming Grenade w/crown and laurels (not sure on this one)?
If combat engr are like the others, 6b quals to WO, so no room for trade badge.  ;)

There are plenty of 6B Sgts with room on their tunic, though, von.

Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many standards floating around.

The way we do it (and the way I always thought it worked for everyone) was as follows:

QL3- Basic Trade Badge i.e. the main insignia only
QL4- (At least one QL4 for those trades with many, or so I thought)- main insignia plus laurel wreath
QL5- Main insignia plus crown, no laurel wreath
QL6A- Main insignia plus crown and laurel

Nothing special happens when you get a leadership course or a QL6B: the last time I changed my badge was after my 6A, and the time before that was when I finished my 5's.

Kat Stevens said:
There are plenty of 6B Sgts with room on their tunic, though, von.
True, but the 6B qualified person has another insignia to denote that fact: a crown (WO crown). 
DON'T QUOTE ME, but...I think we are all pretty close on this one.  Only difference being the 6b/6a dilemma.

Just my thoughts. 

willy said:
Wow, I didn't realize that there were so many standards floating around.

The way we do it (and the way I always thought it worked for everyone) was as follows:

QL3- Basic Trade Badge i.e. the main insignia only
QL4- (At least one QL4 for those trades with many, or so I thought)- main insignia plus laurel wreath
QL5- Main insignia plus crown, no laurel wreathQL6A- Main insignia plus crown and laurel

Nothing special happens when you get a leadership course or a QL6B: the last time I changed my badge was after my 6A, and the time before that was when I finished my 5's.

we don't have a 5's course like tech trades.....or do we now (ARCC)??!!!
Thanks RBD/vongarvin,is anyone able to rustle up the badge designation page?I'm the kinda guy who likes having the paperwork,for when someone else has the other opinion.

Again thanks a lot.

If you want another opinion, perhaps ask the Sgt-Maj. He gets the big bucks to care about fashion issues.

von Garvin said:
True, but the 6B qualified person has another insignia to denote that fact: a crown (WO crown). 

In the 043 world, a Sgt can be 6B qualified (Tp WO qualified), but spend years waiting to be promoted to WO ;)

Recce By Death said:
OK...here it goes:

Leopard- one PCF

Leo w/ wreath- 2 PCFs

Leo w/crown - PLQ Qual

Leo w/crown and wreath - CC qual and Ptl Comd qual (Not too sure on that though)

Regards

Crap it changed again?  I remember a big ka-fuffel over this when Dave C. (PM me if you are not sure who I mean) was our RSS WO.  He came up with the "on paper in black and white" policy for the Corps...and at that time it was...

Leopard- one PCF

Leo w/ wreath- 2 PCFs

Leo w/crown - 1 Advanced Qual

Leo w/crown and wreath - 2+ Advanced Qual

PLQ and all that didn't matter at all.  Nor did 6B.

How old is this "new" (to me) policy now? 

Mud Recce Man said:
Crap it changed again?  I remember a big ka-fuffel over this when Dave C. (PM me if you are not sure who I mean) was our RSS WO.  He came up with the "on paper in black and white" policy for the Corps...and at that time it was...

Leopard- one PCF
Leo w/ wreath- 2 PCFs
Leo w/crown - 1 Advanced Qual
Leo w/crown and wreath - 2+ Advanced Qual
PLQ and all that didn't matter at all.  Nor did 6B.

How old is this "new" (to me) policy now? 

Of course it has changed.  There are no longer all those "Advanced Courses".  PLQ has always counted, even when it was formerly known as CLC.  Then once you have your 6B and are promoted to WO, you no longer wear a Trade Badge - as it would be covered by your 'Crown' anyway..... ::)

George,

What I mean by "not counted" was it didn't make a difference in which Trade badge you put up.

I know WO don't wear a trade badge.  ;D

The last time I was home I was in "someone's" office and the same paper was up on his board...which I why I thought it was still the same (as opposed to me being extremely dumb).  I never thought to say "hey sir are you sure that is the current dress reg?".

;)

Now I can bug him though.

Mud Recce Man said:
What I mean by "not counted" was it didn't make a difference in which Trade badge you put up.

Actually, you are wrong.  It does matter what Trade Badge you wear.  It was required for the 'Crown'.

The only "trade badge" worn on the sleve after promotion to WO is the Master Gunner badge... (Excluding Para, combat diver, EOD types )

George Wallace said:
Actually, you are wrong.  It does matter what Trade Badge you wear.  It was required for the 'Crown'.

Ref my PM.  My info was only as good as the source I guess.

So when we thought we knew, we didn't.  ;D

A PLQ qual Cpl will wear a crown over the tank....no laural.

That's the way it is in the Regiment.    ;)

Get your ARCC and Ptl Comd crse done and you wear the full meal deal.

Regards

Roger RBD. 

I gotta get out of the HQ and back into the real world soon...I know less than I did before I got there, and THATS not saying much  ;)

MRM

hehe....
You start off in the army knowing a lot about a lot of things
as time goes on you learn more and more about less and less
until you know everything about nothing.................

and then they promote you

MRM... you might be ripe for a promotion
(JK)

;)

Back