• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Town Halls on "Occupation" of IRQ, AFG Coming Across Canada 17 Mar 07

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
If you want to make your views known, even if they'll be ignored, here might be one's chance to light a candle in the darkness, so to speak.  Heck, the Thunder Bay event posting even invites people to, "Bring your thoughts, questions, literature, petitions, signs and banners"....  Anyone?  Anyone? 

March 17, 2007 Call to Action Backrgound, poster templates, etc.

Full list of events across Canada - CAUTION:  Be careful if you print this list out - for some reason, I got 96 pages with the same stuff repeated.  Don't know if it's a code error there, or a machine error for me, but caveat emptor...

Background/Parallel Messaging
"Bring the Troops Home Now:  Why a military mission will not bring peace to Afghanistan", Canadian Peace Alliance, 16 Feb 07
Full report (.pdf)
Messaging from the Marxist-Leninists

Info, poster on actions in...
Thunder Bay
Windsor - more
Victoria  (check right hand column in blue for time/place)
Toronto
Edmonton
Halifax (on 18 Mar, not 17 like the others) - check out who's had a chance to speak to the HFX Peace Coalition in the past - Scott Taylor, and Steven Staples)

I'm sure they'll get lots of insightful views....being St Paddy's day and all  ;)

Dang, no rally in Kingston. And here I was looking forward to protesting the protestors protesting about our involvement in Afghanistan. Oh well, life goes on. Guess I might have to hit the bars because of it. Wait, it's St. Paddy's day, was going to do that anyways, lol.

Saltspring Island, Nelson, and Whistler...all rightfully viewed as hotbeds of international political expertise    :blotto:

Roll up another one, Chumps.

I was thinking of making some "Osama thanks you" posters.

Probably won't - I would like to do something though.
Not sure what.

These guys really bug me.

Flip said:
I was thinking of making some "Osama thanks you" posters.
Probably won't - I would like to do something though.
Not sure what. 
These guys really bug me.

I'm kinda toying with a letter to the editor that should appear before or same day, or a letter to the editor after whatever coverage the media gives to these (at least in the case of Canada in AFG) misguided young waifs (I'm being charitable, here).

Protests across Canada denounce wars in Iraq and Afghanistan
Melanie Patten, Canadian Press
Published: Saturday, March 17, 2007

(CP) - Four years after American forces invaded Iraq, hundreds of anti-war protesters took to the streets across Canada on Saturday to denounce both the Iraqi conflict and the Canadian mission in Afghanistan.

Demonstrations were held in cities across the country, including Halifax, Montreal, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Toronto and Hamilton.

Holding signs that read "Together Against War" high above their heads, about 100 demonstrators marched under grey skies through downtown Halifax before stopping at a park for a rally.

The speakers included former U.S. marine Dean Walcott, who served in Iraq and is now trying to claim refugee status in Canada because of his objections to the war.

"I believe individual nations have the right to establish themselves as they see fit, and I believe they can do that without interference from the West," Walcott, 25, told a cheering crowd.

"There's got to be a better way for nations to be free rather than us putting a gun in their face and demanding it of them."

Walcott went on two tours of Iraq, where he served as a technician and worked with military police running convoys into Baghdad.

He left the marines in December and quietly boarded a bus to Toronto.

The U.S. invasion of Iraq began March 20, 2003, amid claims the Middle Eastern country possessed weapons of mass destruction and posed an "imminent threat." No such weapons were ever found.

Four years later, deposed leader Saddam Hussein has been executed, more than 3,200 U.S. troops have been killed and the country has degenerated into daily violence.

Halifax protest organizer Stu Neatby said the demonstration wasn't designed to chide military personnel, but rather the heads of both the U.S. and Canadian governments.

"We are here to condemn the leaders who send these people into failed, ridiculous and ill-thought missions to fight their own kind of colonial wars," he said.

The campaign in Afghanistan started in 2001, and Canada now has 2,500 troops in the country, most of them in Kandahar province. They are part of a NATO mission that includes more than 30,000 troops from several nations.

A few hundred protesters in Toronto rallied for a mix of causes beyond the withdrawal of troops from Afghanistan and Iraq.

Also on the agenda were the Kyoto protocol on reducing greenhouse gas emissions, the campaign for a $10 hourly minimum wage and democracy in Iran.

But for many of the placard-carrying protesters, the rallies have become a much-needed venue to release frustrations and speak their minds.

"It's sort of comforting to come out here and see other people who are like-minded and that the world is not a complete disaster and hopeless," said Sarain Boylan of Toronto, as her voice was drowned out by chants of "Out of Afghanistan, out of Iraq, Bush and Harper, bring the troops back."

"We're all here because we want peace and we want to bring about change."

About 200 people gathered in front of the National Gallery in Ottawa, across the street from the peacekeeping memorial.

They pounded drums while carrying placards and chanting anti-war slogans, some accusing Prime Minister Stephen Harper of genocide.

They demanded Canada withdraw from Afghanistan immediately, although there was no explanation of what might happen then.

In Winnipeg, about 200 people marched from the steps of the provincial legislature to the city's downtown carrying effigies of Harper and U.S. President George W. Bush.

"I would like to make it clear to the federal government that despite the yellow ribbons supporting the troops, some people don't support the war in Afghanistan," said Glenn Michalchuk, chairman of Peace Alliance Winnipeg.

"Just because we don't support the war doesn't mean we don't support our troops."

The Canadian commitment to stabilize Afghanistan has been extended until February 2009, though government and military officials have insisted soldiers will stay in the war-torn country until they are no longer needed.

That pledge comes despite polls that have suggested Canadians have been deeply split on the mission, and calls from the opposition not to extend the deployment further.

Since 2002, one Canadian diplomat and 45 soldiers have died in Afghanistan.

The last Canadian fatality was Cpl. Kevin Megeney, who died earlier this month in an apparent accidental shooting at the NATO base in Kandahar.

Megeney was buried Friday in his hometown of Stellarton, N.S.
http://www.canada.com/topics/news/story.html?id=0b6d0d53-cd61-473e-8d5b-863d4f0ba90a&k=92598

Well, I suppose that accusations of genocide clearly illustrate that many of the protesters are uninterested in discussing facts or reality; it is all about lies in sound bites.  However, I do wonder how many of those that "believe individual nations have the right to establish themselves as they see fit" also think we should invade Sudan to impose a blue beret force on them.  I also wonder how many of the protesters can make the distinction between Iraq & Afghanistan (beyond just pointing to two entities on a map).

I went by Annapolis Royal Sat to see the peace protest.  If they were there I couldn't find them, and Annapolis isn't large by any stretch.  No one I spoke to in Annapolis even knew there was an event scheduled.

career_radio-checker said:
Ughh, what a waste of precious paper

SAVE THE TREES!
IGNORE PROTESTORS!  ;D

No worries, I re-print pro-military articles I want to read later on the back of that stuff.  Gotcha, peaceniks! ;)

I went by the one in Victoria yesterday, with my wife and kids in tow (we were at a CBC Kids show in the Mac) so out we come and my 4 year olde sees a sign that says "Get Out of Iraq" and he lets out, loudly, Iraq, we're not even in Iraq, get informed people, go protest Iraq in seattle you clowns.  The things kids say eh?

Harris said:
I went by Annapolis Royal Sat to see the peace protest.  If they were there I couldn't find them, and Annapolis isn't large by any stretch.  No one I spoke to in Annapolis even knew there was an event scheduled.

It was probably the same five people that put up a stink about the green bins, started the cone composting thing and use the Farmer's Market on Saturdays from April to Oct as their soapbox...they were likely huddled together in from the weather having some fantastic eggs and bacon or a hot turkey sandwich at the Fort Anne Café...either that...or they tried to meet at Kings Theatre...which seems to be the rv point for many such events, realized no one was coming and left, stopping at the liquor store on the way home. LOL

milnewstbay said:
Halifax (on 18 Mar, not 17 like the others) - check out who's had a chance to speak to the HFX Peace Coalition in the past - Scott Taylor, and Steven Staples)

I always though that Scott Taylor was for the military (having been in it) but I guess not, I actually don't ever remember reading one of his articles that had any praise for the military.

(Dont even start on Stephen Staples)

From: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/content/view/112/2/

Taylor discovered first hand the risks involved in frontline
journalism. September 2004, Taylor was held hostage for 5 days by Mujahadeen
rebels in the Turkmen enclave of Talafar where he was beaten, tortured and
threatened with beheading.
His first-hand experiences have given Taylor rare
insight into the American occupation of Iraq.

??? ??? ??? ???

So, he learned how cruel the American 'occupation' was by being beaten up by the Mujahadeen?

They probably released him when no one was willing to pay the ransom.  ;D

Back