• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

That's gratitude Reservists are serving their country -- and risking their lives

Michael OLeary

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Donor
Inactive
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act - http://www.cb-cda.gc.ca/info/act-e.html#rid-33

http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/canada/article.jsp?content=20060814_132006_132006

August 17, 2006

That's gratitude

Reservists are serving their country -- and risking their livelihoods

CHARLIE GILLIS

When the call came through, Paul, a master corporal in the Canadian Forces reserves, was coated in camouflage, soot and a sheen of sweat. But the 35-year-old soldier from Toronto figured the message must be urgent, so he rushed to find out what was wrong. "It was my office telling me I had made a mistake filling out the forms for my leave," he recalls, noting that he was miles away from the nearest land line -- a pay phone at the base offices -- at the time. After weeks of trudging through the brush near Meaford, Ont., as part of his training for active duty, he was near the end of his tether with an employer who failed to grasp what he was trying to accomplish in the reserves. "I was totally exhausted, I hadn't eaten in two days," he says. "Here they were calling me over some stupid problem with paperwork. It definitely was not cool."

It would get worse. Paul -- who asked that his identity be withheld because he was speaking without the army's approval -- lost three days of pay because of the paperwork foul-up. Then, in a decisive exchange upon his return, the head of the Toronto finance company where he worked cornered him for a face-to-face conversation. "You were one of our best employees," the executive said ruefully, "until you got into this silly army thing."
Click here to find out more!

Paul quit the firm three weeks later -- "I knew at that moment that I couldn't stay" -- and found another job. But stories like his are playing out with increasing frequency throughout Canada's army reserves, as the so-called "weekend warriors" who back up the country's 62,000-strong force of regulars are drawn into the all too real world of gun battles, ambushes and roadside bombs. Fully 300 soldiers in Afghanistan, or 13 per cent of Canada's 2,300-strong contingent, are part-time troops who do their training on weekends, holidays or leaves granted by their employers. With just 2,700 more regulars ready at any given time to go on rotation, the forces are leaning ever harder on the 23,000 civilian soldiers back home to fill out missions, or to plug gaps left by departing regulars.

That means they are leaning on the firms and institutions that employ reservists. To accept a six-month deployment like Afghanistan, a reserve soldier must spend another six months training, bringing his entire commitment to a full year. And while there's nothing compelling part-timers to serve in danger zones, most join with the idea of participating in some sort of mission. As one soldier interviewed by Maclean's put it: "If you don't want to see a little bit of action, then really, why sign up?"

The result, inevitably, is friction between reservists and their bosses. Leo Desmarteau, the executive director of the Canadian Forces Liaison Centre, a joint civilian-military body which works to mediate these differences, estimates the number of soldiers seeking assistance in workplace disputes has increased from roughly 30 per year before the mission in Afghanistan to more than 100 last year. Most cases are easily settled, he says. "We encourage reservists to have a clean, clear break from their work situation before they go on tour." But some are not.

One officer interviewed for this story returned from a tour in Afghanistan in early 2004 to find that his job with the Ontario government had been given away. He had tried to extend his leave by six months to complete his mission, a highly touted initiative which involved civilian outreach in the villages around Kabul. But a manager back home who was eager to promote another employee denied him, and filled the job in his absence. By the time he got back to pursue the matter, his union membership had lapsed and -- as if to add insult -- the army itself decided it no longer required his services.

With no medical or dental benefits, and no one to help him fight for his job, the soldier (who also sought anonymity) sank into despair. "I'd always thought the military was supposed to be a kind of large family," he says. "Now I felt like I was being cut adrift." Only after a colonel who had known him in Afghanistan intervened did he get another assignment with the military, and even then the whole experience left him jaded. "I know some guys come home to worse troubles, like post-traumatic stress," he says. "But to come back and be treated like a piece of crap is pretty traumatic, in itself."

Not surprisingly, the issue has become a hot one in the military community, especially since the death in Aghanistan of Cpl. Anthony Boneca, a reservist from Thunder Bay, Ont. Soldiers and family members, conversing on unofficial military websites like Army.ca, say Boneca's passing illustrates the risk part-timers are undertaking for their country at great cost to themselves. Others have called on Ottawa to act on the findings of a 1995 commission urging legislation that would force employers to keep jobs open for those on training or tour. "My husband is having a tough time right now trying to get leave from his job for training," wrote one woman in late May. "He actually works for the feds and even though they have regulations in place to help employees who are also reservists, they seem disinclined to go by them."

Many critics point to measures taken in other countries, saying Canada lags badly. The U.S. has laws forcing employers to protect the reservists, they noted, while Britain compensates employers whose workers volunteer for active duty. Australia, too, provides more than $800 per week to companies who release workers for military service, and bans discrimination in the workplace against reservists. Canada, by contrast, has done little more than pass legislation guaranteeing jobs in the event reservists are called for compulsory service. Considering that hasn't happened since the Second World War, it is something less than a grand gesture. "To my thinking, we have a moral obligation to these guys," says Bob Bergen, a research fellow with the Calgary-based Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute. "We can do better."

So what route should Canada, with its limited means and wholly voluntary reserve force, take? Desmarteau warns that U.S.-style laws, which forbid employers from firing reservists, lead to workplace discrimination, pushing those soldiers off hiring lists and limiting their chances for promotion. "We've seen this in other countries," he says. "It's a very real problem." Other critics argue that compensating employers would put extraordinary and possibly unnecessary strain on the public purse. These are the choices now facing Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor, who has committed to expanding the reserves by 10,000 troops -- and who publicly agrees with the need to protect their civilian jobs.

Officials in O'Connor's office say the minister has asked his department for advice on the issue, and hopes to bring forward a new approach later in the year. "The ultimate goal," says a spokesman, "is to help with the recruitment and retention of reservists in the Canadian Forces." Whether that's soon enough to help soldiers like Paul -- already working up the nerve to ask his new bosses for time off -- remains to be seen. Canadians may consider the lives of their soldiers precious beyond value. Those soldiers' livelihoods appear to be another matter.

To comment, email letters@macleans.ca

The fastest solution...

is not to have military benefits lapse after tour. Offer employment after tour to the reservists for a year or
until they find a civilian job.

But.. that's just a quick fix as it won't stop civilian employers from firing or discriminating.

Nice to see the army.ca quote.  Another thing to notch on our wikipedia site.  If we get mentioned enough,
even if its trivial that has to stand for something.

I would like to throw in my two cents worth. I think the statement in the article about the US Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act is off-target. It doesn't matter whether a reserve mobilization is voluntary or involuntary. I understand that small businesses struggle with the loss of a worker for an extended period, but there are ways to cope with this. For a large business or especially a governmental agency, it is inexcusable to fire or otherwise discharge a worker who is serving their Nation. These guys and gals deserve to have their employment guaranteed. Here' are a couple of links that explain how this works in the United States:

http://www.osc.gov/userra.htm

The Employer Support to the Guard and Reserve program is a very effective means of establishing relationships between reserve units and business. This is a centrally directed, but locally based organization that relies heavily on volunteers (mostly retired officers) to work with employers of reserve Soldiers.

http://www.esgr.org/

You don't need anything this elaborate. I honestly think that commanders and senior NCO's can do a lot of the same stuff for their Soldiers. If there's a Soldier on active duty with work trouble, his/her commander could go to the business in dress greens and explain to the employer that the Soldier is doing a vital service for the Nation. I understand that it won't work in every event, but as a former first sergeant in the National Guard, I also know that Soldiers sometimes aren't fully up-front with their bosses about time off needs, etc.

Another good tool is "Boss Day." This is a day during annual training that is run by the recruiting and retention folks. It requires pre-planning, but isn't that expensive if you do it right. Employers spend a day observing the unit in training and ideally, get some hands-on time with weapons, vehicles, etc, to see what their people are doing in the reserve.

Anyway, this is a two way street. Where I work, we've had a number of folks deployed overseas in the local reserve and National Guard units. They're all missed and welcomed back home with open arms since we need them back and we've all known each other for a long time.

Trinity, I stole your wording and sent an email to MND. Doesn't hurt to remind him that people are paying attention.

This Macleans article
http://www.macleans.ca/topstories/canada/article.jsp?content=20060814_132006_132006 highlights some of the problems being encountered.

Part of the solution might be, is not to have military benefits lapse after tour. Offer employment after tour to the reservists for a year or until they find a civilian job.  We are in desperate need of training personnel, and if they find they like it, you may have a member join full time. Reduces PTSD, offers security through employment, and upgrades the quality of reservist you send back to the unit.

But.. that's just a quick fix as it won't stop civilian employers from firing or discriminating

GAP said:
Trinity, I stole your wording and sent an email to MND. Doesn't hurt to remind him that people are paying attention.

Hey  no worries

Don't forget to put my name, rank and service number with it

so they can come after me with the jtf2/scuba/recce/ninja snipers so they can take away my birthday

Trinity said:
Hey  no worries

Don't forget to put my name, rank and service number with it

so they can come after me with the jtf2/scuba/recce/ninja snipers so they can take away my birthday

I thought they had a little clamp at the back of the collar that they could tighten when you get out of line?  ;D

Back