• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Toronto woman dies from her injuries from coyote mauling in Cape Breton

ENGINEERS WIFE

Inactive
Reaction score
Coyote mauling victim dies from her injuries

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20091028/coyote_attack_091028/20091028?hub=TopStoriesV2

CTV.ca News Staff

Date: Wed. Oct. 28 2009 10:08 AM ET

A 19-year-old Toronto woman has died from her injuries, a day after she was attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton.

The woman was hiking alone in Cape Breton Highlands National Park in Nova Scotia on Tuesday afternoon when the animals attacked her.

Emergency officials received a call at around 3:15 p.m. about a hiker being mauled on the popular Skyline Trail. Nearby hikers apparently heard the woman's cries and called 911.

RCMP Sgt. Brigdit Leger said police rushed to help the woman and had to shoot a coyote that was being aggressive. The second coyote fled into the woods.

The woman was taken to hospital in Sydney, N.S., and was later airlifted to a Halifax-area hospital. However, she died overnight after sustaining "serious injuries," according to RCMP.

Her name has not been released.

RCMP have closed off the hiking trail until they can track down the other animal.

Not to downplay the seriousness of this, but it's never a good idea to hike alone.

PMedMoe said:
Not to downplay the seriousness of this, but it's never a good idea to hike alone.

Personally I disagree, It may be safer in a larger group but that doesn't mean going solo isn't a good idea.

Not to mention she was close enough to other people to be heard and helped.

I heard this on the news today driving in.  RIP to the deceased young lady.

Being a regular hiker around NS and NB, I can see the look on some peoples face I meet; they think I am overdoing it when they see a knife sheath hanging off a belt loop on my pants (my knife comes with me everywhere once I am at the trailhead), or why I have a trekking pole in my hands most of the time and why I have more than one whistle on my pack.  Wildlife is wildlife and you just never know what they will do.  I am always running into people on the trails that are completely unprepared for *anything* at all, let alone a sudden attack.

Again, RIP to the unfortunate victim.  Hopefully others will learn from this.

Maelstrom said:
Personally I disagree, It may be safer in a larger group but that doesn't mean going solo isn't a good idea.

Personally, I wouldn't hike alone (as I would not swim alone), just to be on the safe side.

Maelstrom said:
Not to mention she was close enough to other people to be heard and helped.

The article says nearby hikers called 911.  It doesn't state whether they offered any other aid.

I've seen wild coyotes many times in the park across the street from me:
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/54/124532284_bd139e4444.jpg?v=0

Journeyman:

One small question..... Was it as good for you as it was for her??

Cheers,

tango22a

From the CBC Website

A 19-year-old folk singer from Toronto has died after being attacked by two coyotes in Cape Breton Highlands National Park.

Taylor Mitchell died overnight at the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax.

Her website appears to be down (http://www.taylormitchell.ca). 

Go here for a sample of her music

taylor_mitchell.jpg

PMedMoe said:
The article says nearby hikers called 911.  It doesn't state whether they offered any other aid.

That is true and also very sad if no one physically helped her.

Such a tragedy... RIP 

Back