• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Too Easy "The Mega" week 5

Mojo Magnum

Great post, loved the way you ended it.

Your writing reminds me of the work Russell Storring did...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/viewpoint/vp_storring/

Mojo, I enjoyed the read, from beginning to the end.  I am sorry that your Tour had a head shake moments.  I wish it was the exception not the norm but as you correctly pointed out, everyones view point is differant.  Keep the humour and your backbone for what you believe is right and soon enough you will find yourself being the one giving the orders or correcting the problems. 

BZ

April 19, 2009
As always, my intent for this post is to illuminate for newer members what life is like in the CF.  Experiences may vary ;).

Three years since my last post on this thread, I had honestly forgotten this record was here.  It was fun to re-read. 

What to say, I am not a newbie anymore.  Recently returned from PLQ (the Master Corporal Qualification course) on the east coast, I am merited/posted/promoted.  (I’m assuming that there are new guys out there wondering what the heck that means.  I shall explain. 

Merited - there is a ranking system after you become a Corporal, kind of like a “leaderboard” in video games.  It’s called the Merit Board.  Your accomplishments give you a ranking.  If you rank high enough you get promoted). 

Posted -every year the army has APS – annual posting season, where personnel find out if they are being moved to a different unit.  Sometimes it’s down the street, sometimes it’s across the country. 

Promoted - I won’t insult your intelligence ;)

So there you go, for the new guys.  Now when I say I’m merited/posted/promoted this APS, you know what I’m saying.  I can say without hesitation that joining the Canadian Forces has been the best professional decision I have ever made.  I have met so many new friends, and the old ones who were with me during Basic, SQ and my 3’s (trade training) are still around.  A little advice for those venturing off to basic - if you have the sense that you are going to stay in the trade you are in now, be cool with everyone most certainly, but be especially considerate to those on course with you who share your trade.  It's a long road and some people (like me) have a very good memory when it comes to accounts with contemporaries.  And as your career continues you will discover that I am not alone in this “way of thinking”.

For those who are newly posted to a unit I strongly suggest you talk less and listen more.  You have no idea how much you don't know.  In addition to the usual suspects of the work place like politics, cliques and favourites, there are also Merit boards, illegal boards, course nominations, CFTPO taskings (seemingly random jobs that seem to drop out of the sky that can last anywhere between a couple days and several months, and can have you chilling in the Arctic (pun intended), or driving some General around Washington and anything in between (like filling sandbags just down the street).  There is also Nijmegen (Google it), the annual Iron man competition (and subsequent training which can dramatically change your work schedule should you be permitted to take part).  My point is that all these things and more are dispensed with great care by those above you.  Respect, diligent completion of tasks and a willingness to receive correction without letting it affect your morale are the attributes that will see you through to a career where you are respected, rewarded and preferred when the chips are down. 

In an earlier post while I was in SQ, I shared some insight passed on by our course WO in Meaford (winter 2006).  That man's words resonate stronger with me today than any other advice I have heard since.
He said "Your career in the Canadian Forces is a relationship built on trust.  Do what you are supposed to do, when no one is looking, and you will go far."  He went on to explain that at the WO level he was entrusted with many things including the responsibility to ensure we and many like us were trained properly, and that at his level, no one was looking over his shoulder.  He was trusted to fulfill his responsibilities on a daily basis and in the end he would be rewarded or punished as the fruits of his labour became known. 

Do what you are supposed to do when no one is looking.  In life and most certainly in the CF, I have found over the years that this is sound advice, worthy to be passed on.  But enough preaching.

Career Update- to continue the timeline I began back in 2005 (and forgive me, but a wise man named Bruce from the Wal-Mart building has reminded me that I should be far more careful about pers details online, though somehow with this thread I suspect its waaay too late ;).  2012, 7 years after joining, I will be a Master Corporal in a matter of weeks ( a year later than I would have liked, but such is life).  My responsibilities on a daily basis are just turning the corner.  I am certainly still hands on with whatever tasks come down the line, but more and more I am “trusted” with the responsibilities of delegation and instruction.  I love it.  Seeing the new guys come in and watching as they grapple on to their new environment is very educational.  I learn from them and see from their example, where I went wrong and on occasion, I identify behaviours I still have that should be changed.  The new guys teach me and they don’t even know it.  Having been in there shoes already, it doesn’t take long to see their strengths and weaknesses, as well as identify their individual sense of pride in their uniform (or lack there of). 

Most surprisingly, and I can honestly say I have no idea where in my training I picked this up, I identify that each and every one of them want to work hard, be part of the team and enjoy coming to work.  Often inspite of themselves.  They need help to get to that place of professional fulfillment, and their leaders (and by leaders I mean WO's, Sgt's, Mcpl’s and some Cpl's)  are the ones in the position to bring it all together through guidance, mentoring and ....occasionally ..a strategic dose of anxiety ;).  It is navigating these waters that are the new adventure I find myself embarking on at this stage of my military career. 

I had the honour of serving as a BDE CMDR's Sig not long ago where I learnt a great deal about leadership by watching it in action at the highest levels.  We have all observed that the ranks of Lt Col and above have taken some big hits in the news not long ago, so I thought this next bit worth sharing.  I have witnessed first hand the sacrifice, passion and pathological dedication of Col Wayne Eyre.  Obviously I’m not an “inner circle” guy when it comes this rank level, but I will say I did observe a dedication that I have only seen in those who dedicate their lives to religion.  It’s the same type of “feel” if you know what I mean.  That silent personal “integrity check” seems to come before every choice, knowing that your actions radiate and can very easily be “shouted from the rooftops” at any moment.  I’ve seen some hard working people in my life, but I have never seen anyone work longer hours with such a high standard (which he demands from both himself and expects it from those around him), again, I love it  LOL.  It was inspiring to be around.

Well I think that about raps it up for this time around, I’ve talked less about who I am and what I do, and more about it how I see it at my current rank level and place in time.  As always the purpose of my sharing these thoughts is to continue to illuminate the path for those who are just starting out, and for those who may be coming along behind me.  I still remember that overwhelming sense of frustration I felt when I was just starting out, and how it seemed so hard to learn about military life, what the secrets to success are and at the very least, what should be avoided.  I hope this helps.

I’ll check back in in another 3 years ;)

Mojo Magnum said:
  If you rank high enough you get promoted). 

Just going to add a little to that, as there is a bit more to it.

"If you rank high enough, there is a position for you at the new rank and you meet all the criteria (medicaly fit, valid PT test and that your CO concurs for example), you will get promoted."

I have seen, over the years, many good folk not get promoted despite getting "immediate" year after year as there was no open positions for them to be moved into. These days, not so much, but it does happen and people need to be aware of that.

Mojo Magnum,

You spoke about "illegal boards". Can you please tell me what this means?

Thanks,

AGB.

Mojo Magnum said:
Illegal boards.  That could be difficult to explain and I imagine it would ruffle some feathers.  I will attempt to offer a dumbed down version for the layman.  This is something that is only spoken of in poorly lit back alley’s, underground meeting places and the board room of your local HQ.  Here it is as I understand it.

It will come as no surprise that the CF employs a performance review system.  Without explaining the entire process you must know a few things to understand what an illegal board is.  Once a member reaches the rank of Cpl they receive an annual performance review called a PER.  The PER’s format takes your performance and attributes and generates a score.  Your score is compared to your peers and a “leaderboard” takes shape determining who is the top person and who is the bottom person in a given place of employment.  Every person is assigned a ranking on this leaderboard from top to bottom.  Relatively straight forward right?  You would think that under this system your performance would be accurately recorded and the position on the leaderboard you receive would be a genuine reflection of how you measure up against your peers.  Thus you would have the top five people in the Regiment or Squadron, and inevitably the bottom five as well.

However, “Higher” (a deliberately vague description of those who sit on the board), reserves the right to determine who their best person is.  So, they determine the “leaderboard” themselves, assigning ranks not based on actual performance, but on the supervisor’s ability to “sell” and “argue” with others to establish the members ranking.  Then, once the “leaderboard” has been completed, “higher” contacts all supervisors telling them what each member’s score is.  The individual PER is then written to the score that has been determined by the “illegal board” (illegal because Ottawa banned this practice years ago).  Thus, your PER is not a reflection of what you actually did, but rather an accurate depiction of how you made out in the popularity contest.  Your supervisor takes from the information you have provided on what you did throughout this recording period, and fills in the information in a way that conforms to the score that has been handed down.  Refusal would be unwise.

If someone has a more detailed and more experienced understanding of this process I welcome it.

Sounds like a lot of sour grapes from the uninformed. You've obviously never sat in on a Merit Board.

It's also a very serious allegation you've placed against your Superiors.

If you have actual proof, there's avenues to follow. If you just like rumourmongering because you didn't place where you wanted, I'll strongly suggest you stop posting about stuff that you don't really know about. Especially on a forum like this, that has many followers, from many units and from higher rank levels than you. Your username is no guarantee of your anonymity.

Mojo Magnum said:
Illegal boards.  That could be difficult to explain and I imagine it would ruffle some feathers.  I will attempt to offer a dumbed down version for the layman.  This is something that is only spoken of in poorly lit back alley’s, underground meeting places and the board room of your local HQ.  Here it is as I understand it.

It will come as no surprise that the CF employs a performance review system.  Without explaining the entire process you must know a few things to understand what an illegal board is.  Once a member reaches the rank of Cpl they receive an annual performance review called a PER.  The PER’s format takes your performance and attributes and generates a score.  Your score is compared to your peers and a “leaderboard” takes shape determining who is the top person and who is the bottom person in a given place of employment.  Every person is assigned a ranking on this leaderboard from top to bottom.  Relatively straight forward right?  You would think that under this system your performance would be accurately recorded and the position on the leaderboard you receive would be a genuine reflection of how you measure up against your peers.  Thus you would have the top five people in the Regiment or Squadron, and inevitably the bottom five as well.

However, “Higher” (a deliberately vague description of those who sit on the board), reserves the right to determine who their best person is.  So, they determine the “leaderboard” themselves, assigning ranks not based on actual performance, but on the supervisor’s ability to “sell” and “argue” with others to establish the members ranking.  Then, once the “leaderboard” has been completed, “higher” contacts all supervisors telling them what each member’s score is.  The individual PER is then written to the score that has been determined by the “illegal board” (illegal because Ottawa banned this practice years ago).  Thus, your PER is not a reflection of what you actually did, but rather an accurate depiction of how you made out in the popularity contest.  Your supervisor takes from the information you have provided on what you did throughout this recording period, and fills in the information in a way that conforms to the score that has been handed down.  Refusal would be unwise.

If someone has a more detailed and more experienced understanding of this process I welcome it.

You should learn your place in the system and its not to critque your superior officers or NCOs. If you don't like where you placed you have three options:

1. Take the hint and perform at a higher level; or
2. Remain as you are; or
3. Take your release.

Its very easy to come on here and use your Barrack Room Lawyer knowledge. Try telling your RSM what you've told us on here....face to face.

Having sat on a few of these...I'd have to say you forgot a dose or two of crack there Sonny Jim.  I've seen that in the Bad Ol' Days, it doesn't really work like that anymore.  You generally go into the unit board with the person's raw score in hand and a rough draft to match...and they better match up, especially as a Junior Supervisor, with PDR's to back them...most of the higher ups on these boards know the folks being scored almost as well as, and sometimes better, than their supervisors do, as only RSM's/CSM's/SSM's/Chief's seem so apt to do.  The reason there are unit boards are that, especially in a system where there are other subunits within a formation (Health Services Groups in my case as a for instance, or an infantry regiment with a number of battalions), only the top performers are going to the high end merit boards and having the CO/Group Commander/Regimental Colonel's endorsement on their PER (short of the usual thanks for coming out the routine one's get).  They're to sort wheat from chaff, and usually have a pretty objective scoring system set up to weed out those that look cool on paper to those that actually are...if you're your own worst critic, often you are surprised at where you come out; if you think a little too highly of yourself without the benefit of real backup to that, well, you're often more than a little surprised as well at where you end up ranking.  You'll also find that the high end scorer's will often have the PER either formally written by the Sgt Maj/equivalent or well polished by them.

Your actual PER should NEVER come as a surprise to you - your ranking within an organization should.

:2c:
MM

Jim Seggie said:
You should learn your place in the system and its not to critque your superior officers or NCOs. If you don't like where you placed you have three options:

1. Take the hint and perform at a higher level; or
2. Remain as you are; or
3. Take your release.

Its very easy to come on here and use your Barrack Room Lawyer knowledge. Try telling your RSM what you've told us on here....face to face.

Mr. Seggie:

As clear as it may be to those who have sat on the merit boards, this is truly how it seems to those of us at lower levels.  Certainly within my trade.  I can't be the only one who's heard/overheard a boss talking about "fighting for you" at the boards.

I was a part of an organization that was rumoured to have selected a couple of blocks on the PER and marked everyone Not Observed, unless you were already destined for promotion.  I know mine, and several others, were, in contravention to reality.

*Edit* My apologies, after conferring with another who was there, it was (supposedly) done to remove the reservists from the rankings to merit the reg members against each other, rather than reservists who's career path wouldn't be directly affected by a high-scoring PER.

Purely anecdotal, and no proof to back it, but that was the generally accepted rumour.  I personally find it possible.  That doesn't make it true, but perception is important, and clearly the purpose and execution of the merit boards and merit system don't always come across as beyond reproach.

Just one Cpl's thoughts.

Milhouser911 said:
in contravention to reality.

Reality according to you, as you saw it. It doesn't make it so.

Purely anecdotal, and no proof to back it, but that was the generally accepted rumour.

A "generally accepted rumour" is still nothing more than a rumour.

Agreed, but what we're talking about here is perception, not reality.

And the perception of the system by many is pretty much exactly what Magnum wrote.

Ultimately it doesn't break my heart.  There's a certain something that some individuals have that isn't reflected on the PER.  Someone can be absolutely hardworking and knowledgeable, but immature, directionless, etc etc, and not ready for promotion, despite the fact that they've got the appropriate bubbles filled.  On the other hand, there are keeners with hearts of gold and solid heads on their shoulders that will grow into a higher rank or new position seamlessly, and that's not reflected either.

It's a people job, and people aren't bubbles on paper.  The CoC needs, at times (and in my opinion) to be able to fuzz those lines a little bit and put the right person in the right job.

Milhouser911 said:
  The CoC needs, at times (and in my opinion) to be able to fuzz those lines a little bit and put the right person in the right job.

Thanks, i know how to do my job.

There will never be a perfect system. That some troops think the system is broken because they are not getting what they think they deserve will exist no matter what. I don't worry about those people too much.

Back