• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

tie strings & the fit of combat uniforms (Split: Need for a new Army dress uniform)

Damnit now I need to use a GPS and everything can't you live somewhere easy to find?  ;D

Personally speaking the bottom string is even more useless then the ribcage one.  Not to mention it gets caught up or ripped out in the wash more often then not.

Personally I use the upper torso pockets, for phone, pens, notepad, etc...but I rarely (read never unless i'm out of room) put stuff in my bottom hip level pockets (on the shirt)

and empire waistline is really only useful if there's enough material for it to be baggy (to hide your gut if you have one) not to mention it accentuates your boobs (if you have them)

Biggoals2bdone said:
it accentuates your boobs (if you have them)
If the middle strings accentuate boobs, well, then, why are we even suggesting getting rid of them?  ;D

Technoviking said:
If the middle strings accentuate boobs, well, then, why are we even suggesting getting rid of them?  ;D

...and boom goes the dynamite!

Regards

The empire waist is supposed to do that, BUT what we have in our shirts is not an empire waist. As well as the shirt not being baggy enough for the proper effect, if thats what they were going for.

Biggoals2bdone said:
The empire waist is supposed to do that, BUT what we have in our shirts is not an empire waist. As well as the shirt not being baggy enough for the proper effect, if thats what they were going for.

Could it be that you have improperly fitted shirts?

The drawstrings are probably a cost effective way to cut down on tailoring.  It is simpler to put in a drawstring, than to create a vaste number of new shirt sizes, and to include tappered cuts to fit all body sizes and shapes.  Don't forget; both men and women wear these shirts.

Its possible, but not due to staff, due to lack of sizes. I'm also not a typical shape, I've got quite a V-taper, with close to a 50in chest, and bout 36 waist, and I stand 5'9.  the sleeves are as long as they need to be, and the stitching for the shoulders is also where its supposed to be.

So with all that being said, even civi clothing I find it really difficult to find proper fitting clothing that doesn't look like a moomoo.

My gf hates it lol

If the style designed to hide the preggy look is called an "Empire Waist", what is the name of the style wherein the hem of a combat shirt is allowed to fall to its normal designed place in the front, while being draped across the top of rather generous buttocks on the other side?

It occurred to me as I observed this fashion statement in the Canex this afternoon that perhaps what is needed is not a drawstring that runs around the hem, but one that instead goes from front to back, under the crotch. This would keep the rear of the hem where it should be.

Perhaps.

Loachman said:
If the style designed to hide the preggy look is called an "Empire Waist", what is the name of the style wherein the hem of a combat shirt is allowed to fall to its normal designed place in the front, while being draped across the top of rather generous buttocks on the other side?

It occurred to me as I observed this fashion statement in the Canex this afternoon that perhaps what is needed is not a drawstring that runs around the hem, but one that instead goes from front to back, under the crotch. This would keep the rear of the hem where it should be.

Perhaps.

I don't know, but I need that style for my fat ass. Perhaps they could just re-insert the extra-chest material that I don't need into the rear.

Just a thought.

PS: Why the hell didn't you say "hi" at Canex when you saw me??  :mad:

medicineman said:
That's near Geary isn't it?

MM

Yep, it's the blue house with the old toilet and bathtub masquerading as planters in it's yard.

ArmyVern said:
Yep, it's the blue house with the old toilet and bathtub masquerading as planters in it's yard.

And the 74 Chevvy garden shed.

ArmyVern said:

Vern, you'll have to narrow it down a bit  ;D.

MM

ArmyVern said:
PS: Why the hell didn't you say "hi" at Canex when you saw me??  :mad:

Oops. Sorry. I didn't see you. My body was there, but not so much of my brain. I'm still recovering from leave.

Loachman said:
Oops. Sorry. I didn't see you. My body was there, but not so much of my brain. I'm still recovering from leave.

Quit lying; you saw me:

It occurred to me as I observed this fashion statement in the Canex this afternoon that perhaps what is needed is not a drawstring that runs around the hem, but one that instead goes from front to back, under the crotch...

;D

That was soooo not you. Even the capbadge was wrong.

GK .Dundas said:
I miss my even older then your sweater wool  5 button Olive C/W pockets and epaulets . I  want another one! wah!  :(
post Korea based on (in fact probably purchased from them ) the American 5 button sweater  OD it was warm comfortable and useful pockets allowed me to carry a pen and notebook . Also owned a early 70's British woolly pully (ex RM issue) god couldn't believe how thick and heavy the wool was .
In that sweater with a light wool shirt on underneath it was possible to wander around outside in minus 18 degree weather and still be toasty.

recceguy said:
I think the parachuting thing is a hold over to the old shirt which actually gave that explanation on the inside wearer instruction label. I'd go look, but it's not important enough to go rooting through boxes, in my basement, for confirmation.

I was wondering how the subject of the strings being for parachuting ended up in my brain...

I'm fairly certain I must have one of those shirts old enough for said label in a box in my basement as well, though I HAVE to make space in those boxes for new uniforms from another government department within a week or so... so before said shirt goes back to the QM, I'll take a picture.

Mk 1 and Mk 2 Combat shirt user labels....

mk1_user_label.jpg

mk2_user_label.jpg

Note the slight changes in instruction #5.

Back