• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Thinking of joining...

E

electroman

I was thinking of trying to join the reserves as a SigOp, computers have always been my "thing" and I would love to mix that with the millitary. How much combat training do SigOps do(once they are in and are done BMQ and SQ)? Im going to start my last year of highschool soon and I was thinking of getting started as a SigOp and then if i like it go to RMC and become an officer. I dont know if those are realistic goals though. I live in ottawa and the 763 Communication Regiment is not far away. Im guessing thats where i would be posted since its the closest one and I obviously cant move anywhere.

I don't know about RMC, but joining the reserves as a sig op is a great idea. (Heck, that's what I do so it better be a great idea.) I belong to the Comm Regt in Toronto and joined while in high school as well, and found it was a great way to make extra cash while in school. However, if you just started the application process now you would probably not do basic training until next summer (since the Comms are their own special little world and, for the most part, only do basics in the summer in Shilo.) While you could still do some training during the year, you wouldn't actually do much sig op stuff until after your trades training, which would be the summer after your basic. So, unless you plan on pursuing some sort of post-secondary education or other activities after high school, there wouldn't be much of a point in becoming a sig op before going off to RMC. But that's just my advice.  :p

If you have any other questions, PM me.

I thought that might be a problem but im not sure how RMC works. I thought maybe I could work as a SigOp while in RMC. As I said, im not sure how it works so I dont know if its a full-time thing or if its like a regular school.

No, you can't work as a sig op and attend RMC at the same time, as it's not like regular school. While at RMC, besides earning a degree in whatever field you choose, you're also training to learn a trade in the military, so that you can work in said trade once you finish your degree at RMC. Do some more research on the ROTP program (what you'd be entering if you went to RMC), both on this site and on the CF recruiting site, I'm sure you'll find it very helpful.

I dont think I have the classes or the notes to get in RMC, they seem to be pretty darn strict. If I can get in then I could work as SigOp for a year or so and if I lilke the military then continue into RMC. If I can't get into RMC then I could go to a regular college while I work for the army.

EDIT

I got to thinking and I think this might be a better plan: I can join as infantry in the reserves and go to a regular college. If later I want/need to change to something else, then I could apply for SigOp or some other trade (since after serving I might have found another occupation that I would like more). Forget anything about RMC, university or becoming an officer because there is no was a university is going to accept me.  :-\
Anyway, if I join as infantry, do you think I could be posted with Le Royal 22e Régiment?
Sorry about asking all this stuff. I just want to make sure I dont do anything ill regret later.

Reserve / College / Univ plan sounds solid.   Another spin might be to attend a college bridge program that takes two years then puts you into Univ for 3rd and 4th year.   All the while, you do the reserve thing to test the waters of Sigs or Infantry.   Then, towards the end of college, when acceptance to Univ is a sure thing, go join under the ROTP civilian university entrance plan. They should subsidize the remained of your education and be confident in your application based on your previous military experience.   It also has a built in safety:   If you do not enjoy the army you bail with no worries prior to signing up for the Univ subsidiation.

Note:   My knowledge of entrance programs comes from a few years ago.   Verify this information with someone current or the recruitment center before you make it your life plan.

hey electroman,

I just read that you were previously thinking of joining 763 Communication Regiment -- my regiment. Just thought I could give you some first hand knowledge of what our regiment does. If computers are your 'thing' then SigOp is the trade to be in. Cpl Bloggins is right about the BMQ/SQ and trades courses being concentrated during the summer months, but once you have been in for about a year you become to more and more exposed to the comms equip. which is largely computer bassed. We even take an IS course during the summer to learn Microsoft Office and how to Network.

While most of the courses are done doing the summer months there is still plenty of training during the school year. This is in the form of Voice procedure classes, Driver training, weapons drills, unit excercises and regular call outs. We aren't a 'combat trade' in the sense that guns are not our main focus. Yet, we go to the ranges at least twice a year to fire the C7 rifle and we have 'Group Gun Camps' were we shoot pistols and machine guns and sometimes lob a couple of grenades. And then there is still 'winter warfare' and those unit excercises where we are issued riffles --- So in answer to your first post; yes we do train with weapons but our main concentration is radios and Information Management (computers)

I originally wanted to be an infantry soldier but couldn't because of my eyesight. I am now glad I went with SigOp because my trade allows me to be placed with other trades (infantry, armour, arty etc...) and sometimes get to fire their weapons and never have to worry about cleaning them   :D.

Some good things about 763 Communication Regiment:
-Lots of good people in this unit with a wide range of knowledge
-Unlike other places in the coutry, Ottawa has a lot of employment opportunities to work on contract as a SigOp for DND
-There are other units in Ottawa who request our help which = tasking and call-outs which = $$$
-good times to be had in ottawa

Some bad things about 763 Communication Regiment:
-Its part of the Communication Reserve, which technically is not part of the army reserve. Its still the army but we just have our own little world of standards, supplies, and policies which can sometimes seem funky.
-The unit is top heavy meaning that there are more senior personnel than junior. This gives us a good knowledge base (we have some of the best Seargents in the Comm Reserve)   but when you go on exercise and there are 6 Seargents managing 4 Corporals and 3 Privates it can get confusing

Hope this helpes you

Back