• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The 'What If Canada Gets Attacked' Superthread

Gimpy said:

Does the term "jet-burn" apply here???  ;D

pitdroid said:
Well, I thought i would see what you guys thought about the petition. The idea isn't bad, but i think maybe 10,000 people is more realistic.

All I have to say is this:

:deadhorse:

medicineman said:
I think getting a couple of ships to resupply our frigates would be more realistic...though at the speed the procurement process is going, about as likely as the government deciding to hire 10,000 extra soldiers to plunk on these multipurpose vessels.

'Nuff said.

Rev

I think an amphibious unit similar to the Marines would be good, I had heard that they were thinking of building an amphibious unit.

pitdroid said:
I think an amphibious unit similar to the Marines would be good, I had heard that they were thinking of building an amphibious unit.

They were, but they have no lift capability...we barely have a Navy, much less one that can force project a seaborne infantry battlegroup or larger.  The ships we have cannot fulfill that role and some of them are having a hard enough time fulfilling the ones they were built for.  Besides as LCF, how would they be used or where would we deploy them?  How would we get them there?  What sort of role were you looking at them as having  - shock troops for opposed beach landings, coming ashore when all was convenient and happy or showing up with little blue targets on their heads saying "don't shoot us, we're here to help"?  Where would the budget for these guys come from and what about command and control - are they a naval asset or land one or both?  Alot of this was wargamed and then shelved simply because we have no way of supporting the organization under the current constraints nor will we at the rate things are going.  As it stands, most of our force projection for infantry seems to be in landlocked areas of the world and our navy couldn't get us there in a hurry in any great numbers right now if it were somewhere like Korea or Libya - we'd have to piggy back with the Brits or the US or France.  Besides - do we really need them...IMO, no.  Do we need a navy that can project some of our land forces to places we might not easily get into by air...yeah and in the same vein, do we need a navy capable of projecting  itself to areas of conflict in a hurry and reliably (ie not breaking down along the way) - yeah, we really do.  The latter I feel is most important.

:2c: from some army guy.

MM

Well what about these new ships that Stephen Harper has proposed well they fit all the needs? I'm not sure, I haven't heard anymore than when they were first announced.

pitdroid said:

Would that come in handy for assaulting places like Afghanistan or Chechnya?

pitdroid said:
Well, I thought i would see what you guys thought about the petition. The idea isn't bad, but i think maybe 10,000 people is more realistic.

We told you what we thought about the petition.  And in telling you that we brought up that you were not thinking about this problem other then saying along the lines of what a great idea.  You then started to banter around numbers in the tens of thousands ( or was that hundred and a half thousand?)  There was a dog pile on you about that one and you didn't take away that you idea had no chance in heck of being realistic, supportable, sustainable,............ the list goes on. 
For the record 10,000 people is more than what our Infantry regiments can deploy.  And you feel 10,000 is more realistic????!!! 

On average,
How many people are in a Inf Coy?
How many Coy's are in a Inf Bn?,
How many other Cbt arms units or sub units are going to need to support say two or three Bn's ( in other words Arty, Engineers, Armoured if so desired the US Marines have them)
How many support trades numbers are going to be required to support them?
(Do you have a number yet?  We will call this non existant Canadian marine unit a Brigade.  how many brigades are needed to make the 10,000?)

Now to get more in depth, this Brigade needs a base and places to work out of, barracks for a large portion of the troops.  Quarters available or housing for married personnel.  They will need a means of Tn on the water, that shiny new ship you were talking about will not hold them all.  How will we get them from that ship to the shore, it will not been needed every time but as marines they will need at least that.  Oh and helicopter life will be required as well.  We don't have enough Chinooks in the pipe to wear that hat as well. 

Lets say on average with your Brigade the pay is about 57 000 dollars, now multiply that with your total numbers (do not put in anything like sea pay or LDA but really they should have something along those lines if not both) Do you think that is a high figure??

Try finding out how much two or three of those amphibious assault ships will cost.  Then add to it another squadron of Chinooks.  Oh and new buildings, land and all the other little things that come with running a base say the size of CFB Petawawa,  either in one spot or split up on each coast. 

Have you done any of these numbers pitdroid?  Most of us have not mainly as we do not need to we can include allot of it at first glance of your original post of hey lets sign a petition for 150 000 marines :brickwall:

pitdroid said:
Well what about these new ships that Stephen Harper has proposed well they fit all the needs? I'm not sure, I haven't heard anymore than when they were first announced.

Read what I wrote before this - since you apparently missed it, those ships were shelved.  We don't even have something to replace our tankers, which I might add is an alleged a very real priority, not an amphibious capability whereas an amphibious capability isn't.

Edited with strike throughs.

MM

They are going to have to get back to the table on those replenishment ships.  After the cancelation of the orriginal concept I lost track of where they were now.

medicineman said:
Read what I wrote before this - since you apparently missed it, those ships were shelved.  We don't even have something to replace our tankers, which I might add is an alleged a very real priority, not an amphibious capability whereas an amphibious capability isn't.

Edited with strike throughs.

MM

So you mean the new ships idea that they just announced a couple months ago has been scrapped?

SEARCH!!!

Google National Shipbuilding Procurement Startegy and educate yourself!!!

Milnet.Ca Staff

::)

Are those the same ships that they just announced? It says 2010, And it never said that it was scrapped.
I have been looking that up on Google but most of what I found was from 2008.

You guys just can't think outside the box, what we need for our Marines are these

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Drop_Pods

Colin P said:
You guys just can't think outside the box, what we need for our Marines are these

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Drop_Pods

They have similar things like those on Halo and section 8.

I wonder what the shipbuilding program looks like for the United Federation of Planets ?

CDN Aviator said:
I wonder what the shipbuilding program looks like for the United Federation of Planets ?

In halo they have United Nations Space Command, or UNSC.

CDN Aviator said:
:facepalm:
Its the Federation of United Planets....get with it!!

Jim Seggie said:
:facepalm:
Its the Federation of United Planets....get with it!!

Thanks for correcting what i THOUGHT i knew.......wont happen again, sorry.

CDN Aviator said:
Thanks for correcting what i THOUGHT i knew.......wont happen again, sorry.

or is it the United Planets Federation? Judean Peoples' League?

Back