• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The War in Ukraine

Allegedly

Accurately.

In theory.

In theory

Well I for one am glad you aren’t in charge in that respect.

You’ve focused on what could happen.
88 F-35 to me isn’t enough for Canada to consider its fighter force respectable.
88 F-35 and another F-15EX then I’d think you are at the middle ground for a county of its size and wealth.

Don’t conflate Ukraine issues, and reported solutions as a goal post for Canada. Canada has time to equip/ and should do so with the right mix of capabilities.

I’m not against LROWUAS systems, I’m just against them in replace of a Fighter system that has many additional capabilities.

The West has effectively handicapped Ukraine by giving partial solutions. If we want them to be successful, we need to expand the equipment and training they have, and provide logistical support at the degree of the needs.
The 88 won't be enough. It simply comes down to math, time and being Canadian. We originally purchased 138 of them (CF-18's) and we are basically down to around 65 that can operate in a potential warzone.- not sure if this number includes or doesn't include the Aussie purchases.

So from 1982 until 2024 - 42yrs - we've 'lost' just over 50% of the original purchase. If we decide to fly the F35 for 40yrs (and yes we most likely will be we are cheap MF's), we'll be sitting on about 42-43 operational aircraft in 40yrs. Does that number of 42 meet our treaty obligations within NORAD and NATO? Afraid not I believe.

EDIT: added 'CF-18's' label

I tend to disagree with the term reconstituted- as the materials are still lacking or very old, but manpower wise - yeah.
Understanding that quantity has a quality of its own, especially with Russian doctrine, what is the capability of these reconstituted forces? What kind of logistical tail is supporting them? How many will be converted from conscripts to corpses in the next few months?

All well and good to have Blogginovich fill in a blank file on parade, a completely different situation when they're facing off in Kherson or Bakhmut

I was NATO would stop being such cowards and repel ground offensively and Air against the illegal invaders Russia. NATO is afraid of it's own shadow. Goddamn useless just like the UN.

The 88 won't be enough. It simply comes down to math, time and being Canadian. We originally purchased 138 of them (CF-18's) and we are basically down to around 65 that can operate in a potential warzone.- not sure if this number includes or doesn't include the Aussie purchases.

So from 1982 until 2024 - 42yrs - we've 'lost' just over 50% of the original purchase. If we decide to fly the F35 for 40yrs (and yes we most likely will be we are cheap MF's), we'll be sitting on about 42-43 operational aircraft in 40yrs. Does that number of 42 meet our treaty obligations within NORAD and NATO? Afraid not I believe.

EDIT: added 'CF-18's' label

Better answer...

Buy modern aircraft to replace the lost ancients.

Better answer...

Buy modern aircraft to replace the lost ancients.
100% true statement.
Sadly, the question has to be asked. Have we ever even attempted to do this over the last 40 odd years?
Is the closest that we've come to doing something like this is the buying of the spare/cancelled VH-71's for the CH-149's? But all that really did was not increase the number but maintain the numbers by providing some cheap 'junk' frames for spare parts.

Back