• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

The requirement now insisted upon is that the applicant has already immigrated to Canada and has therefore obtained Permanent Residency.  In theory Citizenship is required for Reg Force membership (which takes 3 years of residency before applying) but it is possible to obtain a waiver of this if you meet the requirement below, which is an extract taken from the CF recruiting website:

Quote : 'To be eligible for consideration for the Canadian Forces, you must meet the following minimal conditions:

* be a Canadian citizen;
o Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

and so on.

Add to that losing a rank (at least, if you are a Major you will be offered Capt on 10 yr increment, currently around $80K - not sure about Lt Col and above-this is because unlike UK where it is Lt Col,  Major is the first competitive merit-based Canadian rank )  for Officers and, no matter what seniority you are given, getting 1 weeks less leave than your peers for 5 years.  No wonderif you aspire to be a journeyman soldier, Australia looks most attractive!

Once you immigrate -itself at least a 1 year process (check the govt Canada CIC website to see how that works, or doesn't) you can then apply to join the CF.  Note that obtaining a reliability check will take at least a year for a Brit citizen, regardless of whether you have just left the Army or not and also regardless of what foreign security clearance you already hold. Add to that the obtaining of a waiver just to apply in the first place and it is already probably going to take at least 18 months or so.  On top of all this prevarication at every single level is the norm-people simply do not do their jobs because it is too difficult.  Believe me I know and much as I hope things have changed, I doubt it!

First port of call in all this -before anything else- is the career management for your line of work in order to establish that the vacancies exist and that you are likely to be considered suitable, as this is really a prerequisite for joining at all. Some trades are full already while others are desperately short.  Who this is depends upon the MOC/trade of course so I cannot give anything here but am sure that specific queries on career manager contacts will be freely answered in the forum.

I came through a couple of years ago when the requirement for citizenship had not been imposed -it still took 2 and a half years and that was just getting into the CF-the immigration actually took less than a year, luckily under the old rules it ran concurrently and I actually immigrated only a few months before joining.. 

If you want to live in Canada and be in the CF though, in my case it was all very well worth it!

I have the recent CF directive on foreign applicants as a pdf file. Happy to email it to anyone who wants it -let me know by PM.

Why is it that rules have changed after 9/11?
Uh - the CF felt that recent immigrants, from certain countries, could be security risks. They did not feel comfortable placing Weapons into the hands of people they did not know if they could trust.

when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen... IE: no one is applying and they still need to have the position filled.

Lets get something perfectly clear here.  No applicant is going to get a citizenship waiver unless the skills they have (read military skills and from a 'friendly' country) are sorely needed by the CF and the position can't be filled by a Canadian citizen.  Education or civilian work experience is not going to get anyone a citizenship waiver.

Hello all,

I was going to post this on the Recruiting forum but to be honest this seems a better place to ask some of the questions I need answers to.

I'm a 25 Yr old Canadian citizen who's currently serving in the Royal Engineers, British Army. I'm a Lance-Corporal and a Class 2 Combat Engineer and Class 2 Engineering Surveyor, and have done tours of Canada (Wainwright and Suffield), Cyprus, Falkland Islands, Germany and an operational tour in Afghanistan. In fact, if any of you were there recently (ie last fall) with the PRT you may well know me, or at least know of me.

Anyways, having reached a bit of a dead end in my career with the British Army (not due to anything disciplinary, just being forced to take a more 'trade' oriented direction as opposed to staying a combat engineer), and being thoroughly fed up with crap pay, crap food, and crap management, I'm looking to 'transfer' back home to the Canadian Engineers, hopefully 1 CER.

Now being a full canadian citizen my problem won't be with immigration, nor was I told there'd be any problems with most of the process by the recruiting centre back home when I saw em on leave. I was more curious as to how my qualifications would equate in the CF, ie rank, trade and experience.

As a combat engineer I do all the usual stuff, bridges, mines, water supply, dems, field fortifications and basic construction. As a surveyor I'm responsible for setting out, control of line and level, tacheometric surveys (up to 1:2000 scale)using both total station and GPS RTK, road alignment design, aerial photogrammetry and interpretation, and have appropriate civilian qualifications to boot (equivalent to 1st year at a technical college). Finally, as a LCpl in a Section 2IC position in a Field Troop, I do all that normal section admin/getting blokes to do stuff business, and in fact for the past few weeks have constantly found myself in a Sect Comd's position on a few tasks.

So, am I going to have an uphill battle to get all this recognised by the CFRC? The dude I spoke to last summer seemed pretty casual about it, said the longest bit would be the security clearance as I've served in a foreign military, but once that was done I'd get kitted out at the nearest militia unit and go straight out to Edmonton and carry out OJT on your engr kit and drills. He was armd however, so not sure just how much he actually knew about engr skills and quals.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I figure I'd be looking to actually make the move across the pond next summer/fall.

REgards, and ubique...

It is not the CFRC that has to recognize your British Army training or grant any equivalences for such training it is the Engineer Branch that will do that.  The best thing you can do is make sure that all of your qualifications are well documented so that when the CFRC sends them higher there will be no question how what you did and when you did it.  You are in for a long wait and I don't see you heading down to the 'nearest militia unit' to be kitted out anytime soon.  Good luck.

Well as for documentation that's not a problem, I've held onto every little bit of 'well done for passing the course' bits of paper I've gotten over the past few years, and when I leave will get a nice red folder with all my qualifications, experience etc summed up and signed by the CO and my sqn OC.

Where do you reckon the wait will happen? with the CFRC? and why? Ideally I'd make the switch as seamlessly as possible so would like to know how much of a lead time I need to get everything sorted. The guys at the CFRC said the easiest way would be to undertake a 'black economy' transfer, ie get a 2 year exchange posting with the canadian army and wrangle it through that way, however, as a JNCO I'm not likely to be offered one anytime soon!

Cheers for your help tho.

REgards,

Ed

Where do you reckon the wait will happen?
said the longest bit would be the security clearance as I've served in a foreign military

As long as 18 months or more.

There has been recent agreements between Canada, the UK and Germany about reservists serving in each other's country. This agreement is aimed at students and businessmen who serve - and who would have to release or retire otherwise... this permits members to continue their service in their own trade.....
I do not have the details on the agreement but this might be a mechanism towards what you want.... will see if I can track down info.

With respect to your qualifications and equivalencies, that would be at the discretion of the Engineer branch. will see if I can track down info on how your peddigree can be vetted.

Chimo!

cheers Geo! have e-mailed a contact in the CF, am waiting on a reply at the moment. from what I heard on the guys on the ground (ie lads from 1 CER) the transistion would be quite seamless, but I assume that's only the joining of 1 CER that they're on about, the actual recruiting process is an unknown at the moment.

Towardsthegap...
Given that you are a Cdn citzen and that you're serving with the British Army, things may move faster than for your average Tom, Dick & Harry from another country...
Up until 2 months ago, I knew a Cdn Engineer Capt who was attached to a Para engineer unit in the UK .... but he's back on this side of the pond now... will see if I can track him down.

Lord knows you have skills that are in need in any one of the CERs
sill sets that are in demand might fasttrack you.... then again, it might not.

Given that you are a Cdn citzen, you might try to contact the CFRC;
http://www.recruiting.forces.gc.ca/engraph/army/index_e.aspx?bhcp=1

Hey guys,
I'm a 17 year old student and im supposed to get my canadian citizenship in 4, maximum 6 months.I want to know if the security check will take too long ( some recruiters said no - requirements changed 2 years ago...) because im from eastern europe.any information ? ive been in canada for the past 4 years
thank you

Brigada said:
Hey guys,
I'm a 17 year old student and im supposed to get my canadian citizenship in 4, maximum 6 months.I want to know if the security check will take too long ( some recruiters said no - requirements changed 2 years ago...) because im from eastern europe.any information ? ive been in canada for the past 4 years
thank you

If you haven't lived in canada for the last 10 years ( Kincanucks correct me if i am wrong) prepare yourself for a very long wait

Brigada said:
Hey guys,
thank you

Yes the requirements have been changed but in the last year or so.  First thing Canadian citizenship must be obtained before you can apply and secondly you must have been living in Canada for the last ten years or since you were 16 years old.  As for the country of origin, if it is a scheduled country and you still have immediate relatives living there then you may be subject to a pre-assessment.  However, if the recruiters at the CFRC/D have said it will not be an issue then it won't be.

Just a little word of advice:  If you are going to be a citizen of this country try writing it like this 'Canada'.  Notice the capitalization?

Ok I am sorry for the spelling. Canada is indeed spelled with a capital letter, as all other countries.
So if I have stayed in Canada after 16 years of age, the secutiry check might not take that long ?
Ty

Brigada said:
Ok I am sorry for the spelling. Canada is indeed spelled with a capital letter, as all other countries.
So if I have stayed in Canada after 16 years of age, the secutiry check might not take that long ?
Ty

Yes if you have been in Canada since you were 16 years old it should not be an issue.

"because im from eastern europe.any information ? ive been in canada for the past 4 years..."

- At one point in Lahr, 1/3 of my Lynx Patrol spoke Polish.

One of the guys came out from behind the Iron Curtain with his family, ended up at Jane and Finch where he learned a unique brand of English playing with the kids in the 'hood.  We were doing Nijmegan in 91, and he ran into a guy from his hometown who was on the Polish Naval Infantry Nijmegan Team.  They had a lot of gossip to catch up on.

Tom

Thank you for the information, I feel much better now. Let's hope that everything goes well with the citizenship procedures.  :salute:

I know this question is been beaten over and over but I'm goanna give it one more shot ...
Is there any chance for a permanent resident to join ?
While I appreciate any advice and opinion, I'd prefer some factual information...
If you are/were a permanent resident when you joined and/or know anybody
who has ever accomplished this ... please tell me how you managed this ...
What are you skills, nationality ... etc (any info you think is pertinent) ?

Are medical doctors really the only ones who get citizenship waivers ? What
about engineers ( i have a master's in aerospace eng. from mcgill). While I realize this
is not exactly exceptional I somehow doubt there are that many engineers wanting to join

Do you guys think it's worth trying to request a citizenship waiver from the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters
or I'm just waisting my time. If I do request one and it is not granted will this affected me negatively if say in 2-3 years I try again...

Thanks for all ur help !

rolandsg said:
I know this question is been beaten over and over but I'm goanna give it one more shot ...
Is there any chance for a permanent resident to join ?

All members of the CF are perminante residents....with exception to the ones you mentioned.

Can you clarify your question/ statement a bit?

Regards

Hi Franko,

I apologize for not making it clear. What I mean by permanent resident is a landed immigrant who resides in Canada (has permanent resident status) but who does not hold Canadian citizenship yet.

On the recruiting website it says that normally you need to hold Canadian Citizenship but one can request a waiver from the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters of this requirement if you poses skills currently in demand . I was mostly wandering if anybody knows of anybody who's ever accomplished this. I saw a lot of posts and opinions on this issue but nothing factual... it seems to be a very gray area...

I was also wandering if lets say I decided to send an application
(for citizenship waiver) just for kicks and it gets denied, Will this affect me negatively if I decided to try again in the future...

I'm 24 now and I'd really like to do this know as I'm afraid that a few years down the line I'll be too tangled up in other things to pull this through

Thanks a lot

Back