• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The "Wanting To Join Another Military" Thread- Them To Us- Us To Them

Major Pom said:
Hi Ryan, do you know anything about commonwealth troops (say UK for example) leaving their Army to transfer into the CF? I've got 20years Engineering under my belt and am considering moving to Canada, a change of uniform would make the move a little easier. Harvey

To be honest I know nothing at all. I'm still a civilian and have never met anyone that transfered from one military to another. My knowledge of the subject is pretty much limited to this thread. Good luck,

I was told be a recruiter about 3 months ago that you could do a temporary transfer to the British Army for 1 year.

Sh*tty deal for you, bubs.

There is a notice on the Recruiting Office at my armoury stating something to the effect of: "Due to there being no shortage of Canadian citizens applying to join the Primary Reserve, landed immigrants / permanent residents are no longer be recruited at this time."   IMHO this is just politically correct speech for no recruiting due to increased   global security concerns.

I am unsure if this is an adhoc brigade policy or a CF wide one - there seems to be little rhyme or reason with recruiting these days . . .

I hope I am wrong about this - the CF certainly needs as many mature people you age as we can get right now.   If anyone has information to help, please post it!

:-\ I didn't see the post directly above mine . . . where's that rye and coke?

Thank you, thank you everyone for the comments.  I got an e-mail reply from 39CBG recruiter that said only the citizens can join at this point.  But then other regimental homepages still say permanent residents can join case by case.  And a recruiter told me to call him, so I called, and what he tells me changes everytime I contact him...Man, I don't have any idea whom to believe, and whether this so-called policy is temporary or permanent.  It seems no recruiter can tell me anything definite... :( :crybaby: :cdn:

I would go with what the 39 CBG recruiter says.   There is no way of knowing when the Regimental web pages   were last updated, or if the webmaster is the recruiter.

oittoi said:
Thank you, thank you everyone for the comments.   I got an e-mail reply from 39CBG recruiter that said only the citizens can join at this point.   But then other regimental homepages still say permanent residents can join case by case.   And a recruiter told me to call him, so I called, and what he tells me changes everytime I contact him...Man, I don't have any idea whom to believe, and whether this so-called policy is temporary or permanent.   It seems no recruiter can tell me anything definite... :( :crybaby: :cdn:

You must be a Canadian Citizen. :cdn:

I'm binny and i came to Canada an year and a half ago. I wanna join the reserves but i've been told that only canadian citizens are recruited! I checked out the reserves website, it said permanent residents could be hired! Please shed some light on this issue
binny

Prior to September 11 you could join the reserves as a Permanent Resident, they have since decided only Canadian citizens can join the CF regs or reserve.  Which webiste are you referring to.  As far as I know there is no "reserve" website, however there are many sites run by reserve units and establishments, which may or may not be up to date.

From http://www.recruiting.forces.ca/engraph/howtojoin/eligibility_e.aspx

Must be a Canadian citizen;
Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.

My Husband is currently serving with the British Army and would ideally love to move to Canada but carry on with his career.
Does anyone know of the procedures for transferring and could provide us with any websites or information.
He is in the Infantry.

Has he considered the British permanent staff at CFB Suffield, Alberta? Or does he simply want to obtain permanent residence in Canada.

First of all, he must obtain permanent residency and then follow the following procedures for application.  This process is lengthy and there is no guarantee that he will be accepted:

Information for Non-Canadian Citizens

Canadian Forces (CF) policy states that in order to be eligible for enrolment into the Forces, applicants must hold Canadian citizenship. The only exception made to this policy is as follows.

Applicants who: are not Canadian citizens, but do hold Permanent Resident Status; and possess specialized skills / qualifications the CF has need of and cannot fill with a Canadian citizen; and do not pose a risk to any national interest; may only be enrolled into the Canadian Forces if permission is granted by the Commander of the Canadian Forces Recruiting Group (CFRG).

Application Procedure for Non-
Canadian Citizens

As you do not currently hold Canadian citizenship, you will have to be granted a Citizenship Waiver by the Commander of CFRG before starting any of the selection testing. In order to do this you must provide a curriculum vitae (CV) or resume to:

Canadian Forces Recruiting Group Headquarters
Attention: SSO Selection
Canadian Forces Base Borden
PO Box 1000, Station Main
Borden, Ontario L0M 1C0

The CV / resume should include:

Personal Information

Name (in full)
Date and place of birth
Brief outline of where you have lived (include dates)
Where your immediate family is currently residing (include parent, siblings, spouse and parents-in-law)
Reasons for your relocation to Canada
Date of arrival in Canada and date, you were granted Permanent Resident Status

Education
Name of all educational institutions attended
Grade / Level completed and year of completion
Diplomas / Degrees awarded
Areas of specialization
Marks / Grade Point Averages
Apprenticeship / Journeyman qualifications

Employment
List all part-time, summer or full-time employment positions you have held
Dates for each position
Brief description of duties for each position
Qualifications or training you received â Å“on-the-jobâ ?

Activities

List all volunteer positions you may have held
List all clubs / organizations / community groups you have belonged to
If there are any other points, or pertinent facts you would like to include, please feel free to do so.
Once you have submitted your CV / resume, it will be assessed by the Headquarters to determine what skills you possess that may be of benefit to the CF. Once this assessment has been completed you will be contacted directly and told whether or not a waiver of your citizenship has been granted. You will not undergo any of the selection testing until you have been granted this Citizenship Waiver.

Hi,  I am currently living in England and I am starting seriously think of emigrating to Canada.  As I don't have a degree or skill as such.  I was wondering if it was applicable for me to join the Canadian army to gain citizenship.  I have spent 4.5 Years in the British Army as a Challenger 2 Crewman and as such have considerable experience at driving tracked vehicles, gunning armoured vehicles, signalling,  and all the other things that go with military experience, E.G, NBC training, Exercises, Tours, and of course the never ending ironing of uniforms!.  I have completed a Six Month tour of Northern Ireland and Spent 3 months at the British Army Training Unit Suffield on Brigade Exercises.  Any pointers would be appreciated thanks!.

I suggest you contact the Canadian Defence Liaison Staff at the Canadian Embassy in London> They will be able to help you out. Good Luck! :cdn: :salute:

Basic Requirements:

be a Canadian citizen;
Citizens of another country who have landed immigrant (Permanent Resident) status in Canada may also be considered for enrolment when the CF has need of their skill, when the position cannot be filled by a Canadian citizen, and if the national interest would not be prejudiced. However, only under exceptional circumstances will authority be granted to enrol a citizen of another country.
be 17 years of age (with parental/quardian consent) or older;
junior level Military College applicants must be 16 years of age;
you may be enrolled in the Reserves providing you are 16 years of age;
meet the minimum education requirements for your entry plan and/or occupation;
this can vary from Grade 10 (Sec III in Quebec) for combat arms occupations to a university degree for the Direct Entry Officer entry plan.

I do know that to become a canadian citizen, which I learned through college, you must have a certain amount of points such as:
family here, a skill, education, a job etc will all give you points. If i remember correctly, 50+ points is good enough.

I'm not sure of the nuts and bolts of applying to the CF, but I do know that there are considerable numbers of brits in the CF, most who were in Suffield/Wainwright, and realised the inherent superiority of Canada and her people to the English accross the pond. :D

Ask at the Canadian Embassy or consulate in your area and find the one known as "kincanucks" on this website. He is a recruiter.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info people, I am going to contact the Canadian Embassy in London anyway and ask for information about whether it is possible to join and see where it goes from there.  Will post any reply I get,  Thanks again!.

On another note if I do get accepted and can join is anyone here part of the Lord Strathcona's Horse Regiment.  As I believe this would be the equivalent regiment to my old one, The Kings Royal Hussars.  As it is a MBT regiment, would anyone be able to give me any insights into what it is like?.  Thanks

Citizenship is a prerequisite for joining the CF. So joining the CF wouldn't probably work as a way to emigrate.
However, if you can demonstrate that your military skills are directly transferable to the CF, and that you will be able to fill a role that could not be easily filled by a Canadian citizen you may be able to join as a landed immigrant.

I'm trying to help a British landed immigrant to join my unit, I could post any updates here if you like.

Well if this any help.
I have got permanent residence for Canada and at the moment live in Australia (Aus Cit).
I just finshed my Degree in Data Communications and wanting to join the CF either as

1. Officer in the Navy (Commercial Divers)
2. Officer in the AirForce (CELI)
3. Officer in the Army (Sig)

I applied 6 years ago to become a Canadian Res and for Australians ( i do not know for Brits) I needed 71 points to get the visa.

I have emailed the CF and found out that, I able to join the CF and wave the requirements for Citizenship if they deemed my skill set to be one that they need.
Also I have reserve training over here, so I am hoping that will also work for me...

Back