• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Vancouver Canucks Rule Thread! ha ha

I have little use for those  rats that get in the face of the opposition and chirp away....but then when they are challenged to drop the gloves and duke it out....they "decline" or at the sign of the first punch they turtle.
Ken Linsman was one of the original rats. People loved him....I couldn't stand his antics.

And I can't stand the antics of some of the Canucks or the Bruins. Drop the gloves, get the helmet off and go at it, or shut up.

Well Jim, Marchand may be "rat-like" but he will drop the gloves when needed. Unlike Lapierre or Burrows.

, but I hope Bieksa breaks his nose en route to a convincing win.
  :rofl:

Bieksa is only tough when confronting non-fighters. He'd probably piss his pants if Thornton got in his face.

Based on the posts here, thanks for confirming most Vancouver fans know next to nothing about hockey.

Go Bruins!

2 Cdo said:
Marchand may be "rat-like" but he will drop the gloves when needed

only when he's got his linemates and chara standing right beside him or an official between him and the person he's dropping the gloves with

i'll add that i'm a fan of neither team

Marchand is playing tough, gritty hockey.  Just like Thornton.  Just like Lapierre and Torres.  Welcome to the Stanley Cup Finals.  Be a homer and cheer for your guys and don't like the other team, but at least recognize that both teams are simply doing whatever it takes to win.  If people are going to start mocking Marchand, who's made some great plays, for his physical features, then don't cry when the media picks on the Sedins for being women.  Better yet, just accept that the games are going to be chippy and loose - the refs set the precedent in game 1.

I really have no problem with the reffing.  Most of us only see what the cameras see - the fact of the matter is that the players are hacking and chirping each other like there is no tomorrow.  The refs have called a lot, but the penalties are largely even.  The fact that both teams are dismal on the powerplay only encourages the rough stuff, as teams don't really need to worry about the PK.

trigger324 said:
only when he's got his linemates and chara standing right beside him or an official between him and the person he's dropping the gloves with

i'll add that i'm a fan of neither team

I've had "fans" that haven't watched 60 minutes of hockey in their lives chirping off at my Kesler jersey of my status updates.  It's just the "in" thing to hate the "Can'tcouver Cansucks" this season.  I really hope that it's track pants next month!  I haven't had a chance to wear those in years.  I don't "hate" the Bruins, I hate the fans on both sides dumping beer and threatening each other, as much as I do the post-whistle play of both teams.

Chara scares me, I've lost count of how many Canucks have tried to hit him and just fallen down.  I'd swear the man has an adamantium frame.

Infanteer said:
Marchand is playing tough, gritty hockey.  Just like Thornton.  Just like Lapierre and Torres.  Welcome to the Stanley Cup Finals.  Be a homer and cheer for your guys and don't like the other team, but at least recognize that both teams are simply doing whatever it takes to win.  If people are going to start mocking Marchand, who's made some great plays, for his physical features, then don't cry when the media picks on the Sedins for being women.  Better yet, just accept that the games are going to be chippy and loose - the refs set the precedent in game 1.

I really have no problem with the reffing.  Most of us only see what the cameras see - the fact of the matter is that the players are hacking and chirping each other like there is no tomorrow.  The refs have called a lot, but the penalties are largely even.  The fact that both teams are dismal on the powerplay only encourages the rough stuff, as teams don't really need to worry about the PK.

I was talking with my neighbour over our backyard fence on the weekend about the finals and he's not a fan of either team either. He made a great statement to the effect of "Marchand has shown what a hero he COULD be with the skillset he has...but he's also shown the kind of coward he is"  I think you can't deny a lot of his chippy stuff falls under that umbrella, playoffs or not.

I'm not saying anything for or against either team, as you said, we see what the camera sees. The camera has been trained on Marchand, because he's been putting some good offense numbers up. He's also pretending to be a tougher player than he is...a 'big bad bruin'.  He's a hypocrite some of the things he's said in recent interviews and then goes out and plays that way.

it just happens to be him we're talking about. As far as the Sedins go, their numbers and overall performance speaks for itself. And all this post whistle crap with everybody else is just that...crap

I remember one fight - before the opening face off - in which all one of the players did was skate over the centre ice line into opposition territory. This was a number of years ago.

If Thornton had done what he did with Tie Domi, Bob Probert, Donald Brashear, McSurley, or Gretzky's body guard Dave Semenko or the orignal "tough guys" John Ferguson or Gordie Howe.....were on the opposition....lights out Thornton.

Edited to add.....Thornton wouldn't have shot that puck if Ferguson or Semenko were on the ice.  He would have known better.

From what I've seen of the series so far, neither team is going to win the cup; the other team is going to lose it.

Jim Seggie said:
Edited to add.....Thornton wouldn't have shot that puck if Ferguson or Semenko were on the ice.  He would have known better.

Which is why it is happening now. He knows that there is nobody on the Canucks who has shown any will to stand up to him.

I mean, this is the team that stood there and watched their star player get punched in the face a dozen times, without him or any of his team-mates doing anything about it.

Nostix said:
Which is why it is happening now. He knows that there is nobody on the Canucks who has shown any will to stand up to him.

I mean, this is the team that stood there and watched their star player get punched in the face a dozen times, without him or any of his team-mates doing anything about it.

And that is why either the NHL via the refs stop this garbage, or they go back to the days of the enforcer, who knew his role and that was to keep everyone else honest. The enforcer never claimed to be a superstar, nor did he "goon" people. He handed out justice to those who needed some "counselling". That's why many Montreal Canadiens in the 60s had long frutiful careers: The opposition feared John Ferguson would hand out some justice. Same with Gordie Howe. A skilled player who could hold his own in  a scrap.
Bobbie Probert kept the Red Wings healthy and so did Domi for the Leafs and later the Jets.
The instigator rule has to go.

2 Cdo said:
Based on the posts here, thanks for confirming most Vancouver fans know next to nothing about hockey.

Go Bruins!

Must be tough being the only one in step all the time.  ::)

Jim Seggie said:
And that is why either the NHL via the refs stop this garbage, or they go back to the days of the enforcer, who knew his role and that was to keep everyone else honest. The enforcer never claimed to be a superstar, nor did he "goon" people. He handed out justice to those who needed some "counselling". That's why many Montreal Canadiens in the 60s had long frutiful careers: The opposition feared John Ferguson would hand out some justice. Same with Gordie Howe. A skilled player who could hold his own in  a scrap.
Bobbie Probert kept the Red Wings healthy and so did Domi for the Leafs and later the Jets.

I'll fess up to being too young to remember the early 90s, but I was a huge fan of Brashear when he was in Vancouver.  Bertuzzi was great until the Steve Moore incident.  There was talk of the Canucks being a "soft" team all through the season that was promptly dismissed, the poster shunned and spat on.  I think I'm starting to buy it though, I had high hopes for Raffi Torres to step up and be "the guy," but he seems to be a second late on his hits and doesn't really drop the gloves anyway.  Heaven forbid he actually does connect with a hit, he's crucified for it.

I can't help thinking that Bieksa is under coach's orders to stay out of it, lest Vancouver lose another key defenceman.  I truly expected him to at least put up an effort in a Swede's name, but alas, nothing.  I disagree with Don Cherry on a LOT of points, but when talks about protecting your stars, he makes a valid point.  If the unthinkable happens tomorrow night, I expect Vancouver to go shopping.  For all the ill press he received following the fan incident, I truly miss Rick Rypien.  Stone hands: good in a fight, can't pass to save his life.

Jim Seggie said:

The instigator rule isn't the problem. The instigator rule protects players like Sean Avery and Alex Burrows - guys who love to run around and act like children, but will do anything to avoid dropping the gloves. When it comes to guys like Marchand and Thornton, they're both willing to answer the bell, be it in a fight or a scrum. You don't need an enforcer to go after them, just someone willing to put out the challenge and physically respond.

There are 29 other teams who seem to be able to take care of their own star players under the current rules. There's a reason the Marchand's in the league don't punch Jarome Iginla in the face - he's going to unload right back on you.  Hell, even Crosby and Gaborik have dropped them to say "enough". Foregoing that, if you're not willing to defend yourself, someone else has to step up. If you're losing a game by four goals and someone does that to your star player, you go drop him, instigator penalty or not. It's not like it was late in a tie game.

The onus here is on the Canucks players to show they actually give a damn about themselves and each other.

Edit: Daniel is only a star player, not the Captain.

I mean, where's Bieksa in all this? He used to be willing to stand up for his teammates.

It seems recently he's decided he's earned the right to only stand up to scary tough guys like Patrick Marleau and Viktor Stalberg.  ::)

Apologies to any Bruins fans that are actually human beings, but this is the most disgusting thing that I've seen in professional sports in my life:

http://youtu.be/qn97tELtNTI

The "flopper" chant starts at about 40 seconds.  The "go Bruins" starts when Raymond is helped up.  A 25 year old athlete has a broken back and they're jeering him for it.  I pray that the Hockey Gods have been roused from their slumber over this.  I would've started a riot if I had been in the building.

Confounded PAT said:
Apologies to any Bruins fans that are actually human beings, but this is the most disgusting thing that I've seen in professional sports in my life:

http://youtu.be/qn97tELtNTI

The "flopper" chant starts at about 40 seconds.  The "go Bruins" starts when Raymond is helped up.  A 25 year old athlete has a broken back and they're jeering him for it.  I pray that the Hockey Gods have been roused from their slumber over this.  I would've started a riot if I had been in the building.

And yet, if it had happened to a Bruin player on our ice, we would be cheering for them once they got up and moving. Things like this make me sick to my stomach. A large majority of the Canucks fans that went to Boston would never go back again after the disgusting abuse that they received there. That kind of attitude would not be tolerated here in Vancouver. I love the one about the bar owner from Calgary that owns a pub across from the TD Garden. His stance is that he refused to let anyone in that was wearing anything with the Canucks logo on it. That is absolutely disgusting. My niece has a friend in her class who has an uncle who plays for the Bruins. (Recchi). She proudly wears a Bruin's hockey jersey to class every day. I shudder to think of the poor kid in Boston who would dare to wear a jersey that represented an uncle that played for the Canucks. What are we teaching our children here, people???

RE: Boston fans chanting at Raymond.

That was horrible. Totally unclassy. They had no way of knowing how serious the injury was, but still. Keep your mouth shut and clap when he gets up. They're getting a pretty good going over in hockey circles.

But I wouldn't be throwing out the "Boston Bruins fans are the devil, and Canucks fans are the spitting image of acceptance, love, and virtue" card too soon. I've been to my fair share of Canucks games, and have seen everything from harmless name-calling, all the way up to fights, and even an incident where a group of Canucks fans started throwing objects (including a full beer), at a father and small daughter who happened to be wearing Flames jerseys.

Every stadium has it's own crowd of idiots in it.

Edit: If you think Boston is bad, I hope you never try to go to a Flyers game and cheer for the opposing team. That place is downright scary.

Nostix said:
RE: Boston fans chanting at Raymond.

That was horrible. Totally unclassy. They had no way of knowing how serious the injury was, but still. Keep your mouth shut and clap when he gets up. They're getting a pretty good going over in hockey circles.

But I wouldn't be throwing out the "Boston Bruins fans are the devil, and Canucks fans are the spitting image of acceptance, love, and virtue" card too soon. I've been to my fair share of Canucks games, and have seen everything from harmless name-calling, all the way up to fights, and even an incident where a group of Canucks fans started throwing objects (including a full beer), at a father and small daughter who happened to be wearing Flames jerseys.

Every stadium has it's own crowd of idiots in it.

There was a brawl at a Giants game a few years back.  An opposing player went down(a Kelowna Rocket, I think?) and a few drunks started hooting and hollering about a dive.  Someone took exception and jumped into their row.  Were I but a few years
older I might've jumped into it.  Everyone loves a hootenanny!

There is no excuse for it in any building and I'd be pretty quick to correct my fellow Canucks fans if I heard it in Rogers Arena.  The guys that allegedly dumped beer on the Lucic family deserved a shot or four in the back head too.  At the end of the day it's still a sport, a game and it's not worth well...whatever that was.

Back