• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
So he has failed at pretty much all the same things that past presidents failed to do.

What sets him apart is his mouth.

Trump continues to claim broad powers he doesn't have

Threatening to shut down Twitter for flagging false content. Claiming he can "override" governors who dare to keep churches closed to congregants. Asserting the "absolute authority" to force states to reopen, even when local leaders say it's too soon.

As he battles the coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump has been claiming extraordinarily sweeping powers that legal scholars say the president simply doesn't have. And he has repeatedly refused to spell out the legal basis for those powers.

"It's not that the president doesn't have a remarkable amount of power to respond to a public health crisis. It's that these are not the powers he has," said Stephen Vladeck, a University of Texas School of Law professor who specializes in constitutional and national security law.

https://apnews.com/d60a6b1faa40bb91d278b2a54850a6e1

In Citizens United the US Supreme Court held that corporate political donations/spending are a protected First Amendment right; corporations are legal entities that get constitutionally protected free speech.

The SC’a ruling did not create exceptions to this First Amendment protection simply on the grounds of any elected or appointed official being particularly thin skinned about what’s being said.

This is a dangerous assault on free expression with obvious implications for freedom of the press as well. Trump has dishonestly accused social media of censoring him simply because Twitter appended a flag to two posts indicating that they may be inaccurate and offering a link to additional factual material. Because of this he wants to wield executive authority to clamp down on social media so that they’re less able to hurt his feelings. This is concerning, albeit consistent with his increasingly authoritarian style.

Didn't people want to blame social media for helping the Russians make sure Mr Trump won just a short few months ago??

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Didn't people want to blame social media for helping the Russians make sure Mr Trump won just a short few months ago??

People wanted social media to stop allowing people to spread fake news.

So the moment they fact checked one of the biggest culprits they face authoritarian sanctions from the head of state.  Lovely.

I’d be curious to see if Twitter chooses to shut down his account as a result.

[quote author=Remius]

I’d be curious to see if Twitter chooses to shut down his account as a result.
[/quote]

That would be hilarious.

They're making too much money and publicity off of his Twitter rants though.

Remius said:
one of the biggest culprits
Really??...you clearly don't have some of the folks on your list that I have on mine.    I've never deleted anybody no matter how far gone ANY WAY they've gone.....it amuses me. ;D

Yeah, it’s terrible when politicians try and overreach their authority, isn’t it?

Target Up said:
Yeah, it’s terrible when politicians try and overreach their authority, isn’t it?

I’m glad you seem to be in agreement that Trump is ‘overreaching’ (how charitable) his authority on this. It’s a mild way to describe this sort of attack on the First Amendment, but at least you acknowledge his actions are wrong.

Brihard said:
I’m glad you seem to be in agreement that Trump is ‘overreaching’ (how charitable) his authority on this. It’s a mild way to describe this sort of attack on the First Amendment, but at least you acknowledge his actions are wrong.

Its his 1st Amendment right to have published whatever he says AND to not be contradicted.

:cheers:

FJAG said:
Its his 1st Amendment right to have published whatever he says AND to not be contradicted.

:cheers:

WhiteHouse.gov

:nod:

Brihard said:

Whooooosh!

Target Up said:
Whooooosh!

Not in the least, your allusion was loud and clear. But this is, after all, the *US Presidency* thread. Did I err in crediting you with at least being somewhat on topic?

As you quite rightly seem to take issue with executive overreach, I’m sure you agree that Trump’s actions in trying to use an executive order to attack the freedoms of social media platforms is a glaring example of just that?

Brihard said:
Not in the least, your allusion was loud and clear. But this is, after all, the *US Presidency* thread. Did I err in crediting you with at least being somewhat on topic?

As you quite rightly seem to take issue with executive overreach, I’m sure you agree that Trump’s actions in trying to use an executive order to attack the freedoms of social media platforms is a glaring example of just that?

I agree completely, the man is ...

Staff edit to coincide with site political discussion policies.

Target Up said:
I agree completely, the man is...

Not often I read a post, and literally pull my head back and blink a couple times. Fair enough. I apologize, I had thought I was picking up some condoning ‘whataboutism’ in your prior reply; I was evidently quite mistaken on that.

Staff edit to coincide with site political discussion policies.

Twitter flags Trump, White House for 'glorifying violence' in tweets about George Floyd protests

https://abcnews.go.com/US/twitter-flags-trump-white-house-glorifying-violence-tweet/story?id=70945228

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/trump-minneapolis-twitter-violence-thugs-mayor-jacob-frey/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-twitter-trump-minneapolis/twitter-hides-trump-tweet-for-glorifying-violence-idUSKBN2350UC

https://apnews.com/9c691b85ff052e723663944a85316776

Great speech just now....heating up the relations to China for sure.

Exclusive: White House kept FDA in the dark on Russian ventilators for New York and New Jersey

When U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to accept a shipment of ventilators from Russian President Vladimir Putin at the height of the coronavirus outbreak, the White House did not alert the FDA as it headed to New York and New Jersey, Reuters has learned.

Instead, the Food and Drug Administration heard about the arrival of the shipment from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) on March 31st, the day before the 45 Aventa-M ventilators were delivered, the health regulator told Reuters.

At the time, the states were girding for a crush of COVID-19 patients likely to need intensive care and thousands of ventilators to help them breathe.

New Jersey and New York did not end up using the ventilators. But details first reported by Reuters about the shipment has drawn scrutiny from Congressional Democrats. The last minute notification meant the ventilators headed for the epicenter of the U.S. coronavirus outbreak did not first receive FDA authorization.

Earlier this month, Russia suspended use of some of the Aventa-M ventilators in its own hospitals after six people died in fires that reportedly involved the devices.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-ventilators-ex/exclusive-white-house-kept-fda-in-the-dark-on-russian-ventilators-for-new-york-and-new-jersey-idUSKBN23536O

Brihard said:
Not often I read a post, and literally pull my head back and blink a couple times. Fair enough. I apologize, I had thought I was picking up some condoning ‘whataboutism’ in your prior reply; I was evidently quite mistaken on that.
That was my inner voice you were picking up  ;)

Does the FDA have a say in what medical supplies are brought in to the US? Should they have been alerted?

Jarnhamar said:
Does the FDA have a say in what medical supplies are brought in to the US? Should they have been alerted?

Yes.  They are responsible to ensure that medical equipment is safe.

This sounds like right hand / left hand bureaucratic error in a tense, rushed situation, though, which is not uncommon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back