• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
OceanBonfire said:
Trump threatens social media companies after Twitter adds fact-checking labels to tweets

For someone who blathers on about "the Constitution", he seems to forget the first amendment a lot.

Well, Twitter isn't obligated to provide 1A protection, so he's definitely spitting into the wind.

*shrug* another ‘enemy’, another tantrum. Nothing new or particularly surprising here, other than in the pure specifics of what it happens to be today. A week ago it was people who published medical research that did not support Hydroxychloroquine, now it’s a media platform that dared offer actual credible facts to counter his latest fiction. Next week it’ll be something else.

Twitter integrity boss has no integrity it seems. In his Tweets from 2016 and 2017 he said some pretty nasty stuff about Trump. If he had integrity he would step back from this. What is worse is that he called flyover states are racist. Twitter is a cesspool and they need to clean it up. I know, some will say, Trump is a huge offender. Yes, I agree with that, I wish you would lay off the stupid stuff and focus on the important stuff. Yes, his personality sucks big time but he gets things done.

Who checks Twitter's POTUS fact-checker? Biased head of Twitter's 'Site Integrity' has previously called the President 'a racist tangerine', the administration 'Nazis' and compared Kellyanne to Joseph Goebbels

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8361349/Head-Twitters-fact-checking-history-anti-Trump-tweets.html

Fox and Friends
Mar. 30, 2020

"They have things, levels of voting, that if you ever agreed to it, you’d never have a Republican elected in this country again.”

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk00fcvEek0E6Bc-qRges4D7F89W4zg%3A1590616162061&source=hp&ei=YeDOXobLPJe7tQb1k7mYCg&q=%22They+have+things%2C+levels+of+voting%2C+that+if+you+ever+agreed+to+it%2C+you%E2%80%99d+never+have+a+Republican+elected+in+this+country+again%E2%80%9D&oq=%22They+have+things%2C+levels+of+voting%2C+that+if+you+ever+agreed+to+it%2C+you%E2%80%99d+never+have+a+Republican+elected+in+this+country+again%E2%80%9D&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQDFDAGliGemDQywFoAHAAeACAAQCIAQCSAQCYAQKgAQKgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwjG_7z6gtXpAhWXXc0KHfVJDqMQ4dUDCAw#spf=1590616189143

kkwd said:
Twitter integrity boss has no integrity it seems. In his Tweets from 2016 and 2017 he said some pretty nasty stuff about Trump. If he had integrity he would step back from this. What is worse is that he called flyover states are racist. Twitter is a cesspool and they need to clean it up. I know, some will say, Trump is a huge offender. Yes, I agree with that, I wish you would lay off the stupid stuff and focus on the important stuff. Yes, his personality sucks big time but he gets things done.

Is there a list of things he’s gotten done? A real one I can refer to?  I know he has but I would like to see what I might be missing.  I know I am missing some.

The President making threats to shut down social media (because reasons) is kind of that important stuff you mentioned.

Trump, downplaying deaths, once claimed US would never see 100,000 milestone

Trump suggested throughout April the country wouldn't reach 100,000 deaths.

In just under four months, more than 100,000 Americans are now reported to have died from the novel coronavirus, a grim milestone President Donald Trump once suggested the country would never see.

Roughly a month ago, Trump, at a White House task force briefing, said, "It looks like we'll be at about a 60,000 mark, which is 40,000 less than the lowest number thought of."

A few days later, on April 24, he again sought to highlight a lesser number: "Minimal numbers were going to be 100,000 people. And we're going to be, hopefully, far below that."

As the politically fraught threshold neared Tuesday, he continued to play down the actual figure, using new language.

"If we didn't act quickly and smartly we would've had, in my opinion and the opinion of others, anywhere from 10 to 20 and maybe even 25 times the number of deaths," Trump said, when asked to comment at a Rose Garden news conference.

He continued to make the unverified claim, as he does at every opportunity, that his decision to impose partial restrictions on travel from China, which took effect in early February, had made all the difference.

As the numbers shifted, the president has been consistent -- characterizing the ever-increasing death estimates as a relative success, compared to the 2.2 million death toll projection from the London Imperial College if the U.S. took no action to slow the spread of the deadly virus.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-downplaying-deaths-claimed-us-100000-milestone/story?id=70888441

Remius said:
Is there a list of things he’s gotten done? A real one I can refer to? 

Stopped Clinton from getting elected. That probably saved a lot of US lives not to mention people from 3rd world countries.

Jarnhamar said:
Stopped Clinton from getting elected.

What do you think her presidential ranking would have been compared to Trump?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States#Siena_College_Research_Institute,_Presidential_Expert_Poll_of_2018

How many times have you posted that link here?......we get it, you like it because it go the way you want, unlike last election and the next one.
I do like this part though....

"David H. Donald, noted biographer of Abraham Lincoln, relates that when he met John F. Kennedy in 1961, Kennedy voiced his deep dissatisfaction and resentment with historians who had rated some of his predecessors. Kennedy remarked, "No one has a right to grade a president — even poor James Buchanan — who has not sat in his chair, examined the mail and information that came across his desk, and learned why he made his decisions".[49] Historian and political scientist Julian E. Zelizer has argued that traditional presidential rankings explain little concerning actual presidential history and that they are "weak mechanisms for evaluating what has taken place in the White House".[50]

The broadly static nature of the rankings over multiple decades has also been called into question, particularly given that the frequent nature of previously unknown material about American government getting exposed.[51] "

Bruce Monkhouse said:
How many times have you posted that link here?......we get it, you like it because it go the way you want, unlike last election and the next one.

We get it. You are a fan of his. So, we'll have to accept your opinion over the historians.

Said it better than I ever could,

E.R. Campbell said:
I don't think the data, however optimistic, matters to the precariat, who, I suspect, are the core of President Trump's supporters. My guess (I cannot overemphasize that that's all it is) is that the precariat, which is predominately male and has less than a college/university education and either had or has parents who had good, solid, high paying industrial jobs in the 1970s and '80s, doesn't care about facts ... they know what they feel, and they feel a huge loss of both hope and dignity. I have written, several times, about the dignity deficit, and why I (and Stephen Harper, think it might propel Donald Trump to a second term in 2020.

Go look at that 'tweet' I attached to my earlier post: the people who voted for Trump and will vote for him or his surrogate again, in 2020 and in 2024 and beyond, don't care about the data because it doesn't address their issues, their feelings.

mariomike said:
What do you think her presidential ranking would have been compared to Trump?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_presidents_of_the_United_States#Siena_College_Research_Institute,_Presidential_Expert_Poll_of_2018

Can you imagine if she won and the "pussyhat" was the "Maga" hat of the last 4 years?

Still, her presidential ranking would have been worse AND there'd be more body bags.

Thanks for asking.

When people make arguments along the lines of claiming that the sitting president is the worst one the United States has ever had (although the term "will ever have" is more accurately the thought being expressed), I take a rather perverse pleasure in pointing out that history is not over, and the US is still largely in its infancy.

As its culture is largely derived from its initial act of rebellion, and as such the rejection of elements of every predecessor... well, I hate to say it, but it is rather likely that eventually the "next" President of the United States will be its last.

I doubt very many people on either "side" care much about "science", "evidence", "principles", "morals", etc, except when the high ground coincides with their aims.  All of it is subordinated to political advantage.

"I'm voting for X anyways", whether "X" is blue or red, says it all.

Xylric said:
When people make arguments along the lines of claiming that the sitting president is the worst one the United States has ever had (although the term "will ever have" is more accurately the thought being expressed), I take a rather perverse pleasure in pointing out that history is not over, and the US is still largely in its infancy.

This is something like saying Tiberius is the worst emperor ever and then ... whoops, we have Caligula and then ... whoops again, thirteen years after he died there's Nero.

:pop: So if Tiberius is Trump, does that make Augustus, Obama??  :whistle:

;D

Remius said:
Is there a list of things he’s gotten done? A real one I can refer to?  I know he has but I would like to see what I might be missing.  I know I am missing some.

The President making threats to shut down social media (because reasons) is kind of that important stuff you mentioned.

Yes, I support Trump. I am happy with my choice and am proud of it. You have as right to put forward your opinion and I have a right to ignore it. I suspect he has done nothing for you personally but he has for many people. I won't name them, you seem to not be interested in them anyway.

One thing on Twitter, just a thought. If they chose to fact check Trump's one particular Tweet and leave others does that mean that all of Trump's other Tweets are good to go? So all other content on Twitter must be 100% factual as well since they didn't choose to fact check them.

Attorney general launches new 'unmasking' investigation around 2016 election

An investigation into the unmasking that occurred during the waning days of the Obama administration is going to be conducted. Us Attorney Bash has been assigned to conduct it. A good move, it needs to be determined what went on.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/william-barr-unmasking-investigation/index.html

https://www.justice.gov/usao-wdtx/meet-us-attorney
Prior to his appointment as U.S. Attorney, Mr. Bash served as a Special Assistant to the President and as an Associate White House Counsel.  Bash was an Assistant to the U.S. Solicitor General from 2012 to 2017,  where he represented the United States before the U.S. Supreme Court.  He was previously an associate in the law firm of Gibson, Dunn and Crutcher, and served as a law clerk to the late U.S. Supreme Court Associate Justice Antonin Scalia and to Circuit Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit.

kkwd said:
Yes, I support Trump. I am happy with my choice and am proud of it. You have as right to put forward your opinion and I have a right to ignore it. I suspect he has done nothing for you personally but he has for many people. I won't name them, you seem to not be interested in them anyway.

That fine.  You are entitled to it.  There are very few politicians I am proud to support on either side of the political spectrum.  Feel free to ignore my opinion.  That’s your choice, but by answering you are demonstrating that you are not in fact ignoring it.  You are still reacting to it. 

I’m Canadian.  He isn’t my President.  So no he hasn’t done anything for me or to me personally.  I respect the Americans’ democratic choice.  I don’t agree with or particularly like him though.

I legitimately asked what he has gotten done.  You said he gets things done.  I asked for a list you might have.  Why do you think I wouldn’t be interested?  That’s why I asked. 

All you’ve done is reinforce the stereotype that his supporters have no clue what he’s done.  I’ll list a few to show you that I’m not ignorant of his accomplishments. But my question remains if there are any I may have missed.  You support him, so tell me.

1- he’s shaped the Supreme Court for years to come (for good or for bad is moot, just that he’s left a significant impact)

2- he’s reformed criminal law.  Specifically in relation to the three strikes you are out laws that disadvantaged the Black community.

3- Defeated ISIS.  I agree with him on that. 

4- reformed taxes. 

But he’s also failed on

North Korea
Iran and Syria
America’s Image abroad is in shambles
Distanced himself from allies
Dealing with illegal immigrants and refugee claimant at the southern border (detention camps, separating families etc etc)
hurricane Maria
COVID 19 (failing)
The Wall

Has he made America Great again?  Are they better than where they were when they were great whenever that was? 

[quote author=Remius]

Has he made America Great again?  Are they better than where they were when they were great whenever that was?
[/quote]

Good points about the failures.

I think he was successful in bringing attention to how blatantly broken the US system really is, and they needed that.  Maybe the world needed that.

Unfortunately he's found unique ways to add to those problems and make them even worse, albeit more transparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back