• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remius said:
And guess who would be the single biggest contributor then? 

One less thing for the US to worry, one more thing that will advance China’s climb to be the world’s leading power.
My question would be so what? The WHO already defers to China to write their script, let China pay top dollar for it.

The US could take the millions earmarked for the WHO and stockpile masks for the next virus coming out of China that the WHO downplays. Hopefully Trump won't be president when that happens.

Jarnhamar said:
My question would be so what? The WHO already defers to China to write their script, let China pay top dollar for it.

The US could take the millions earmarked for the WHO and stockpile masks for the next virus coming out of China that the WHO downplays. Hopefully Trump won't be president when that happens.

It’s a fair point. But slowly it’s a slow take over by a thousand cuts.  China will be happy to not have the US in its business.  This may be good for then US right not.  But less and less countries will defer to the US and will look to China.  At one point the US influence over the world will be gone for good. I’m not sure that is a good thing given what is replacing it.

Remius said:
It’s a fair point. But slowly it’s a slow take over by a thousand cuts.  China will be happy to not have the US in its business.  This may be good for then US right not.  But less and less countries will defer to the US and will look to China.  At one point the US influence over the world will be gone for good. I’m not sure that is a good thing given what is replacing it.
Are we talking about the WHO? I'd think it's quite possible less and less countries will look to and contribute to the WHO.

7 years ago the Pentagon suggested they had some 600 bases around the world.  I think the US will still hold some influence around the world.

Jarnhamar said:
Are we talking about the WHO? I'd think it's quite possible less and less countries will look to and contribute to the WHO.

7 years ago the Pentagon suggested they had some 600 bases around the world.  I think the US will still hold some influence around the world.

Plenty of other organisations that can take over next.  Without a strong counter balance, it means that the US loses influence.

Sure.  But some countries may start to uninvite the US.  Besides, he’s already pulling or threatening to pull those troops and some of those bases.  Plays into the Chinese plan.  And Russia. 

This isn’t just one organisation.  It is many,  assuming he gets re-elected I could see that happening.

:facepalm:

Trump’s Name Will Appear On Stimulus Checks
The Treasury Department ordered the IRS to add President Trump’s name to the paper stimulus checks, which is likely to cause a delay in their delivery.

President Donald Trump’s name will be printed on the economic stimulus checks that will be distributed by the Internal Revenue Service to individuals to help mitigate losses caused by the coronavirus pandemic, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

The addition, which was ordered by the Treasury Department, is expected to delay the delivery of paper checks by several days, according to the Post, which cited unnamed senior agency officials. The phrase “President Donald J. Trump” will be printed in a memo line on the left side of the checks (most will total $1,200 for individuals), below a line that says “Economic Impact Payment.”

After the IRS adjusts its printing technology for this addition, tens of millions of Americans are expected to receive these checks in the mail in the coming weeks.

NBC News also confirmed the report Tuesday night.

The decision to add Trump’s name to the checks was reportedly finalized late Monday and announced to the IRS’s information technology team on Tuesday, the Post reported, citing a Treasury Department official.

This is the first time a president’s name will appear on a payment from the IRS. ...

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/donald-trumps-name-on-stimulus-check-irs-coronavirus_n_5e965be0c5b6ead140045899

FJAG - the hypocrisy and malice of this decision is confounding. Delay vital money for your most vulnerable so the King or is it Emperor?, can add his name?  The mental gymnastic required to fit this latest incompetence and naked power into the narrative is truly staggering.

Edits for formatting and fat fingers. 

fireman1867 said:
FJAG - the hypocrisy and malice of this decision is confounding. Delay vital money for your most vulnerable so the King or is it Emperor?, can add his name?  The mental gymnastic required to fit this latest incompetence and naked power into the narrative is truly staggering.

Edits for formatting and fat fingers.

He desperately wants people to know who the money is coming from.  He wanted to have people think that HE would be the one reopening the economy.  He still does.  He needs a win and he can’t find one so he’s doing superficial propaganda style actions.  And many will fall for it.

Remius said:
He desperately wants people to know who the money is coming from.  He wanted to have people think that HE would be the one reopening the economy.  He still does.  He needs a win and he can’t find one so he’s doing superficial propaganda style actions.  And many will fall for it.

The trouble is that he doesn't want them to "know" where the money is coming from because it really comes from Congress, and, eventually out of their own pockets. What he wants is he wants the people to "think" that it's coming from him and to obscure the truth.

Besides being propaganda in its truest form, it, like the ridiculous, rambling multi-hour "briefings" he is giving, is also a component of his election campaign.

:cheers:

Hard to sort out:

"The addition, which was ordered by the Treasury Department, is expected to delay the delivery of paper checks by several days, according to the Post, which cited unnamed senior agency officials."

"In response to the reports, the Treasury said in a statement Wednesday that the stimulus checks are scheduled to go out with no delay."

Just for those keeping score at home, in the span of... what, three days? He has (falsely) asserted that he has “total authority” over the police powers the Constitution grants to the states, and now is threatening to use executive authority in a way never before used to force the entire Congress to shut down so he can push through political appointees to non-essential roles. So yeah. That’s some healthy looking democracy.

Its clearly a ploy. If the Senate goes into recess then he wont get the $250b that is needed. The problem is that 300 appointees have been twiddling their thumbs for several years.

I’m not confident it’s a ploy. Him doing an end run around proper practices because he cannot otherwise get what he wants is completely in keeping with everything he has shown us about his character and temperament.

Using or misusing executive authority is what presidents do now when they don't get what they want from Congress.  That horse has been long gone from the barn.  Congress can either assert powers it has in response, or not.

Brihard said:
I’m not confident it’s a ploy. Him doing an end run around proper practices because he cannot otherwise get what he wants is completely in keeping with everything he has shown us about his character and temperament.

It’s like he’s running to be president of Hungary.

Exerting pressure is one thing.  In this case he is trying to get what he wants by burning down the house. 

I think they may call his “bluff”.  But I doubt he’s bluffing.

https://www.businessinsider.com/fema-paid-bankrupt-company-no-employees-55-million-n95-masks-2020-4

The Trump administration paid a bankrupt company with zero employees $55 million for N95 masks, which it's never manufactured

The coronavirus pandemic has created a desperate clamber for vital medical supplies, like N95 masks, that has led the federal government to award massive contracts to third-party vendors to help fill the gaps.

In this chaotic effort to obtain supplies, the Trump administration paid $55 million to Panthera Worldwide LLC, a company with no expertise in the world of medical equipment, for N95 masks, The Washington Post reported on Wednesday.

Panthera's parent company filed for bankruptcy protection last fall, and one of its owners last year said it'd had no employees since May 2018
, The Post reported, citing sworn testimony. It's no longer listed as an LLC in Virginia, where its main office is, after fees went unpaid, the newspaper said.

Panthera, which describes itself as a tactical training company for the US military and other government agencies, has no record of producing medical supplies or equipment, The Post said.

The company's website says it "provides elite, scenario-based tactical, aviation and intelligence training and instruction for Defense Department, State Department, Federal Agency and Law Enforcement teams who operate in sensitive environments worldwide, to enable those teams to meet their mission goals and requirements."

More at link. Emphasis mine.

Restructuring ODNI Is Not Political Rep. Adam Schiff, It Should’ve Happened Years Ago

“America’s intelligence agencies need leadership and coordination, which is the purpose of ODNI,” said a U.S. Intelligence official, directly familiar with the restructuring. “By implementing carefully considered reforms recommended by prior studies, ODNI can refocus on doing what it needs to do while rolling back duplication of effort and freeing up personnel to fill critical gaps inside the intelligence agencies.  This will make American intelligence stronger.”

Daniel Hoffman links.
https://www.thecipherbrief.com/experts/daniel-hoffman
https://www.foxnews.com/person/h/daniel-hoffman

Daniel Hoffman, who spent more than three-decades in the CIA clandestine service and a three-time station chief abroad, told this reporter that although many people in the CIA “recognized the value of having a partner that could collaborate with the agencies, there was concern that the DNI itself, was a bureaucracy and was going to grow and become bloated.”

“You’ll find the majority of intelligence officers and pundits would agree with the fact that the DNI needs to be reduced in size and that goes far beyond whether you think Rick Grenell is the right guy for the job,” said Hoffman, who is known for his nonpartisan stance in issues related to national security. “I don’t think you can find an intelligence agency director that would be against the restructuring. We don’t have an unlimited number of people to do the jobs and our foreign counterparts see this bloated bureaucracy and wonder who they should go to? Who do they talk to and who they need to deal with directly.”

A better organization will result from this. I'm sure many members on this site know the horrors of a bloated bureaucracy.

https://saraacarter.com/restructuring-odni-is-not-political-rep-adam-schiff-it-shouldve-happened-years-ago/

Welcome to the Real Russia Scandal

Seems like there’s a huge and important story to tell here. To better understand how big, try to imagine the firestorm that would consume all of our lives if we learned that Trump’s Justice Department had knowingly relied on Russian disinformation, paid for by the RNC, to spy on the Biden campaign.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/welcome-to-the-real-russia-scandal/?utm_source=recirc-desktop&utm_medium=blog-post&utm_campaign=river&utm_content=more-in&utm_term=second

Umm...

LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment. It is under siege!

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251169987110330372

Also

LIBERATE MICHIGAN! and LIBERATE MINNESOTA!

dapaterson said:
Umm...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251169987110330372

Also

LIBERATE MICHIGAN! and LIBERATE MINNESOTA!
freedom.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back