• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The US Presidency 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the briefing where that went down.  He’s clearly upset at the coverage he’s been getting.  The propaganda video he showed, the part where he was at a loss for words when asked what he did with the time he had and then the whole total authority thing over the states.

What a gong show.

[quote author=Remius]
What a gong show.
[/quote]

I think you mean awesome show. As in awesome show of total authority.

Jarnhamar said:

I can think of a few four letter words other than “gong” to describe it.

Some governors are already starting to react.

Jarnhamar said:
Except he does not have that authority.  It would be awesome if it was true, bit it is not.  The rule of law matters...

PPCLI Guy said:
Except he does not have that authority.  It would be awesome if it was true, bit it is not.  The rule of law matters...

Begs the question; is this a question of him genuinely not knowing or understanding his constitutional authorities? Or rather one of him knowing what he is and isn't allowed to do, and knowing that that differs from what some of his base either know or are willing to tolerate? Either is dangerous in a different way... That difference matters.

I won’t speculate as to motive, I’ll leave it at laying out a couple possibilities. I will say that it’s utterly unacceptable and irresponsible for any president to do baldly and falsely assert authority he doesn't constitutionally - legally - have. He’s suggesting he has the executive authority to trample on powers that belong to state government. Not cool.

kkwd said:
She works for CBS.
If you're going to be pimping for Catherine Herridge solely on the basis that CBS employment* gives her credibility, you may want to check out CBS' Paula Reid.  Unlike some reporters, Reid actually asks tough but informed questions.

*  ie- you accept that Fox sucks massively, therefore ANYONE else must be legit;  good on you, it's a 1st step. 

ps - anyone  [I'm not being rude to specific individuals] who is another illiterate Trump cheerleader, CBS's Paula Reid is attractive; you won't have to think.

Journeyman said:
If you're going to be pimping for Catherine Herridge solely on the basis that CBS employment* gives her credibility, you may want to check out CBS' Paula Reid.  Unlike some reporters, Reid actually asks tough but informed questions.

Ah yes. Like when she asked the POTUS what he did in Feb with the time he had bought given that his campaign video made with taxpayer money glossed over that month. At that point he completely melted down.  No real answer and was actually left with nothing to say.

That briefing is going to stay with him for a while.

Trump hasn't the authority he claims to have.  And while his most recent predecessors pushed the envelope without much pushback, for Trump there will be pushback.  If Trump tries to "reopen" the US, those who favour him may cooperate, but those who don't will likely not.  Since the places where continued contact minimization is desirable mostly coincide with political control hostile to Trump, it works out nicely if he calls for "reopening".

Quote:  “Travesty” is not a nice word. It usually is applied to gross perversions of justice, and that apparently is the context Attorney General William Barr desired when he dropped it into an interview answer the other day in the breezy courtyard of the Department of Justice (DOJ)...

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/492405-ag-barr-just-signaled-that-things-are-about-to-get-ugly-for-the-russia

Kevin R. Brock, former assistant director of intelligence for the FBI, was an FBI special agent for 24 years and principal deputy director of the National Counterterrorism Center (NCTC).

Remius said:
At that point he completely melted down. 

Which would be comical, almost, if it wasn't during a pandemic.

Journeyman said:

*  ie- you accept that Fox sucks massively, therefore ANYONE else must be legit;  good on you, it's a 1st step. 

ps - anyone  [I'm not being rude to specific individuals] who is another illiterate Trump cheerleader, CBS's Paula Reid is attractive; you won't have to think.
STAFF POST
Knock it off lad,...a friendly warning this time.  Blanket statements like this do nothing, and in fact subtract, from intelligent discussion.

Brad Sallows said:
Trump hasn't the authority he claims to have.  And while his most recent predecessors pushed the envelope without much pushback, for Trump there will be pushback.  If Trump tries to "reopen" the US, those who favour him may cooperate, but those who don't will likely not.  Since the places where continued contact minimization is desirable mostly coincide with political control hostile to Trump, it works out nicely if he calls for "reopening".

Watch and shoot on that one... some states are much farther along the epidemic trajectory than others. Also, old norms of what we’re the ‘battleground states’ can no longer be relied upon. The virus is beginning to hit Michigan and Pennsylvania hard, and they will likely further restrict before they open up- he took both of those in upsets. Florida is poised to be hit hard.

We’re seven months out from the election, without much ability to meaningfully predict the course of this virus on a state by state basis or what that might mean for regional or local political sentiment.

I see Trump is talking about the US looking at the money they give to the WHO including the possibility of ending funding towards them. That might open the WHOs eyes a little bit. Easily an attempt to deflect blame from his administrations short comings but I don't think he's off the mark either.

Jarnhamar said:
I see Trump is talking about the US looking at the money they give to the WHO including the possibility of ending funding towards them. That might open the WHOs eyes a little bit. Easily an attempt to deflect blame from his administrations short comings but I don't think he's off the mark either.

While the US is the single biggest contributor, they were already planning in cutting back.  They could end funding which effectively ends their membership.  And guess who would be the single biggest contributor then? 

One less thing for the US to worry, one more thing that will advance China’s climb to be the world’s leading power.

Explainer: Trump has little power to restart U.S. economy

President Donald Trump said on Monday it was his decision when to reopen the U.S. economy, which has been largely shut down to slow the spread of the novel coronavirus.

The Republican president also accused the news media of incorrectly saying U.S. governors are largely the ones who decide when normal economic activity can resume.

But legal experts say a U.S. president has quite limited power to order citizens back to their places of employment, or cities to reopen government buildings, transportation, or local businesses. Here is why.

What does the Constitution say about who makes decisions about public welfare?

The United States is a federalist system, meaning power is shared between a national and state governments.

Under the 10th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, state governments have power to police citizens and regulate public welfare. In the country’s early years, it was up to state and local authorities to lead the response to the yellow fever epidemic, not the federal government.

Reflecting these principles, “disaster response and aid is typically state-led and federally supported,” said Steve Bunnell, the former top lawyer at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and a partner at O’Melveny & Myers.

This bottom-up, rather than top-down, approach to disaster relief makes sense from a policy perspective, said John Cohen, a former DHS official who teaches at Georgetown University.

“Usually, state and local officials on the ground have the best understanding of the issues affecting people in their states,” Cohen said.

Can a U.S. president override state-mandated “shelter in place” orders?

No. The Trump administration can issue nationwide guidance, but it would be unconstitutional for the president to override stay-at-home orders from governors, said Robert Chesney, a professor of national security law at the University of Texas. Mayors or county commissioners are on the same footing as governors, he said.

“This is Federalism 101: The president can advocate to his heart’s content, but he can’t actually commandeer the state governments to make them change their policies,” Chesney said. “He has no such inherent authority, nor is there any federal statute that purports to give him such authority.”

The social distancing policies Trump announced for slowing the spread of the novel coronavirus were merely guidelines, and the same goes for any newer, less restrictive policies he unveils, Chesney said.

“Those are guidelines. He can change his advice,” Chesney said. “He is free to advocate. And that is an important part of the presidency — the bully pulpit.”

Bunnell said many people look to the president for guidance, so Trump’s advice will still affect the economy.

“The federal government has a role to play in setting recommendations, and the daily press briefings obviously have an effect on how people react,” Bunnell said. “But in terms of legal authorities to override health and safety measures, I’m not sure there are any direct tools that would accomplish that.”

Can a U.S. president order a business to stay open?

A federal agency that’s a subset of DHS deemed some businesses “essential” on March 19. But the federal memo itself notes that state and local authorities are “ultimately in charge of implementing and executing response activities in communities under their jurisdiction.”

The Defense Production Act, which lets the president “expedite and expand the supply of resources from the U.S. industrial base,” can be used to procure more tests and other medical equipment from companies. But that represents a fraction of the U.S.’s consumer-driven economy.

What about a U.S. president’s emergency powers?

A federal law known as the National Emergencies Act (NEA) gives the president broad powers to respond to national emergencies, including the authority to redirect funds and suspend laws.

Trump invoked the Stafford Act and the NEA on March 13, as he declared a national emergency.

But the NEA is a poor fit for a president trying to encourage business as usual, Cohen said.

“It tends to give the president the authority to be more restrictive, not less restrictive,” Cohen said. “It does not let the president say ‘disregard the restrictions of your state and local leaders.’”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-reopen-explain/explainer-trump-has-little-power-to-restart-u-s-economy-idUSKCN21W15G

The unemployment numbers will determine the reopening of the economy. The States cant pay unemployment claims without the help of Congress.

kkwd said:
Do you have any evidence she was anything but honest and straightforward during her time at Fox?

Nope. I was just pointing out that for most of her career she worked for Fox.

Retired AF Guy said:
I was just pointing out that for most of her career she worked for Fox.

I don't know who first said it, "You are known by the company you keep."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back