• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"The stuff the army issues is useless" and "no non-issue kit over seas!"

I am curious as well, although I could venture a guess.
Remember the combat shirt with no lower cargo pockets? Our CSM told me to go exhange my cbt shirts (I didn't) for these new ones. I figured that within a year or two they'd be gone, and I was right.
The genius who gave us that said "A soldier will never go anywhere without his webbing, so he doesn't need the pockets" or something like that.
Then there was the "dress " issue. To tuck it in or not?....oh my that was a hot topic, and no one could ever agree. CTC Gagetown didn't tuck in, but 1VP did!!
You would think that we had more pressing issues to discuss, like uhhh,,,,,can the troops pass the PWT? Can they do their BFT with minimal injury? Can they do section attacks?...No....should their shirts be tucked in or not!!!  ???

I remember those shirts without the lower pockets, and they resenbled the Australian 'pixie pocket' version which has recently beern replaced by these.

They are Corps wide replacement, even replaced our cotton Tankie suits, and these new ones are a poly blend, so they melt nice. Ther is alos no provision to pull anyone out through a hatch either.

Many say poor choice.

They are called the DPCU Land 125 version, with zip front pockets (similar to the US Army's ACU style). There is big pockets on each sleeve, with a velcro patch for Unit patches and the ANF patch.

The pants also have zip cargo pockets, but don't expand like the old button versions.

Here is a pic of the shirt.

OldSolduer said:
I am curious as well, although I could venture a guess.
Remember the combat shirt with no lower cargo pockets? Our CSM told me to go exhange my cbt shirts (I didn't) for these new ones. I figured that within a year or two they'd be gone, and I was right.
The genius who gave us that said "A soldier will never go anywhere without his webbing, so he doesn't need the pockets" or something like that.

Those shirts were pretty awful looking at the time, but in hindsight they were a step in the right direction.  Now it's a case of not going anywhere without body armour and TV - again all pockets on the current shirt are useless.  We took a state of the art camouflage (CadPat) and put in on a uniform designed in the 60's.  We need to update the cut.  Most importantly pockets on the sleeves and get away from a "dress shirt" design (the collar and the cuffs).  Make something that functions well in the field.  To make a huge step forward, look at the new design by the British Army, US Army and USMC that uses a "wicking" type material under the body armour portion of the shirt and then regular combat shirt sleeves. 

Dirty Patricia said:
Those shirts were pretty awful looking at the time, but in hindsight they were a step in the right direction.  Now it's a case of not going anywhere without body armour and TV - again all pockets on the current shirt are useless.  We took a state of the art camouflage (CadPat) and put in on a uniform designed in the 60's.  We need to update the cut.  Most importantly pockets on the sleeves and get away from a "dress shirt" design (the collar and the cuffs).  Make something that functions well in the field.  To make a huge step forward, look at the new design by the British Army, US Army and USMC that uses a "wicking" type material under the body armour portion of the shirt and then regular combat shirt sleeves. 

I remember one of the guys on my team getting an extra combat shirt issued at KAF. Then one morning he puts it on, and is completely amazed by the fact that it had no lower cargo pockets. We laughed a lot at his expense, telling him he'd have to fill out a lost stores for times 2 cargo pockets. We figured the shirt probably was an MP shirt, as they tucked their shirts in.

But back to it, something like this is what we should be going to :

http://www.icetactical.com/clothing-directaction.html

I've got a couple on order, and now the test will be to see if I can get away with 'em  ;)

Sleeve pockets to me are the best upgrade to the uniform in a long time. Why? Well, I can't keep my smokes in the breast pocket when I'm wearing armor.

Beadwindow 7 said:
We figured the shirt probably was an MP shirt, as they tucked their shirts in.

CP Personel, most likely.

There were discussions about it, but AFAIK no MP pers were allowed or did cut the bottom pockets off of their combats. Roto 3 or 4.

CP did whatever they wanted.

Dissident said:
CP Personel, most likely.

There were discussions about it, but AFAIK no MP pers were allowed or did cut the bottom pockets off of their combats. Roto 3 or 4.

CP did whatever they wanted.

Fair enough. But this shirt was issued, brand new, packaged, no lower cargo pockets.

Beadwindow 7 said:
Fair enough. But this shirt was issued, brand new, packaged, no lower cargo pockets.
Mighta been a simple manufacturing defect..... they do happen once in a while.

Beadwindow 7 said:

Keep it and try to sell it like a stamp or coin with a manufacturing defect  ;D.

MM

OldSolduer said:
:warstory:In 93 when 2VP deployed to Croatia, we first trained at Ft Ord, California and Hunter-Liggett. We used the old C7 with the open sights....then a month before we deploy, some wingnut decides we should re-equip with the C-79 sighted rifles, after the entire battalion zeroed and shot the PWT with the old rifles.
No one had any training on the site, and I remember guys doing all kinds of things to at least rough zero before attempting to live fire them.
Another example of lack of common sense.

I absolutely remember that, we had about two weeks to go until deployment and we were out at the range in -30C trying to figure out how to zero these sights. There was no pams or anything. We went that whole tour without any official paperwork or documentation for this sight.  We figured it out in the end, though.

Matt,

Has there been any official interest in the shirt you guys at CP Gear have?  That's the direction we should be heading, at least for the field.  Keep the ones we have for garrison.

Dirty Pat.. I ordered one overseas and got it the day before I left on HLTA in January.  I returned from HLTA and had a big 20 days to play with it.  It was winter over there so the heat during the day was only hitting around 17 Celcius.  I first started wearing it as a layer with a t-shirt underneath but by the time mid February came around I was wearing it solo, with no t-shirt on most vehicle patrols.  I am a crew commander and I rarely needed to wear a tacvest or rig so heavy patrolling on foot was not experienced aside from my afternoon of picture taking during the bombing on the 18th.

The weirdest part of wearing it was actually not having all the combat shirt "poofiness" under the body armour when it's on.  That tends to make the armour and it's edges more noticeable.  It took some getting used to but in the end, I was happy wearing it.  My driver also purchased one and found it to be comfy.

I wore it on the flight to Mirage and sat across from a fairly scary looking CWO with no negative results. I tactfully wore it around camp under my cbt shirt (which I took off once on my vehicle) and avoided any dinosaur attacks from the SSM.  My troops seemed to like the design and my troopie even liked the style.  It might have helped that we worked with the Brits over there and they had the same style shirts which added to it's credibility.

You can find me wearing the shirt in the top picture here: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/02/18/convoy-attack.html

Dirty Pat,

So far, we haven't had any official CF interest in the shirt, however we do have a batch of Multticam shirts in production for an RCMP ERT team who're adopting it as part of their rural call-out uniform.

Bzzliteyr.....  In a perfect world we wouldn't have to worry about the dinosaurs or forking over $100+ for a shirt that works well or $300+ for a vest that effectively holds all of our ammo.  Other militaries keep up with the technology that is out there in the tactical gear world, while we get left behind.  Look at the strides the British have made recently and their soldiers were previously well known for shelling out big bucks of their own money to Arktis and Silvermans for kit and boots in the 80's and 90's.  They just got new Lowa and Meindl boots (off the shelf), a new Under Body Armor Combat Shirt and I believe a new tacvest.  We need some forward thinking and a way to keep up.  We have an amazing vehicle platform (LAV3), good night vision and STANO, good weapons, but we fall quite short when it comes to the personal equipment for the individual soldier.

During texas...I'm finally TRAINING IN A DESERT and not Gagetown/Petawawa/wainwrong....and I'm not allowed to wear my desert boots.

When will dinosauruskit become a freaking fossil.

Already been told to not even bother to bring my chest rig oversea's as well.

X-mo-1979 said:
When will dinosauruskit become a freaking fossil.

A natural disaster must occur first before any of that can happen. Not to mention lots of pressure, and well... over all you know bringer of death blah blah....

X mo, we were warned of that too before we left yet I wore mine EVERY time I needed it outside the wire.  One day in february, I looked down at myself and realized the only issue piece of kit I had on were my combat pants and parts of my C8 FTHB!! Btw, I kept my "parade" gear on my vehicle just in case I was accosted by any dinosaurs.. you just throw it on and they walk away as if nothing is wrong...

Bzzliteyr said:
you just throw it on and they walk away as if nothing is wrong...

Their vision is based on "issued kit", something like T-Rex's vision with movement.  Only issued camouflage works on them.  ;D

Bzz
Good to hear.I plan on bringing mine along as I have it set up to AID me in my job so I aint carrying around a bunch of loose kit that I can't fit in the tacvest.As with you it's a couple of our higher who are the worst I've ever seen for kit uniformity...EVER!
Welcome back!

RHFC_piper said:
Their vision is based on "issued kit", something like T-Rex's vision with movement.  Only issued camouflage works on them.   ;D

I always heard it was scent based.Cause they always seem to appear when I'm wearing the stuff....out of no where.

The kitasaurus can smell un issued kit.Like a dying zebra to a pack of lions....I'm certain.

Back