• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Spam and Scam Superthread- Merged

PMedMoe said:
Please, lets not give any more excuses for Sgt Shultz to go off on an "Oddball" rant!!!  ;)
Woof, woof, that's my other impression of a dog.

Always with the negative waves PMedMoe, always with the negative waves....

Arf arf arf... That's my other dog impression.

Muahaha I loved that! Especially with all of it's spelling mistakes and gramar usage. Oh well. I think I'd say something like "money first, talk later" if I really wanted to waste my time sending a reply ;D

Im pretty sure this is another form of scam email trying to get personal information for identity theft or other criminal uses, but its the first time Ive seen it in this style.  Would like to know if anyone else has seen this style before:

GALLERY OF ARTS & CRAFT LIMITED
P.O Box 750,Manchester,UK,M11 2BX.
Tell:+(44)7886350719 

Dear Sir/Madam, 

My name is Anastasia Vickers , I am an artist with my husband Mr Gary Donald. We own the GALLERY OF ARTS & CRAFT COMPANY in the UK. Our company deals in sales of Arts, Crafts works and just recently in the exportation of African Arts and Fashion. We have been receiving orders from NORTHERN AMERICA, AUSTRALIA and some other countries in the world, which we have not been able to process completely since we do not have a payment receiving personnel in those Areas. We have decided to recruit payment officers online, hence, we are looking to employ a representative to process our payments in these areas - due to delays in processing international payments here in UK e.g (checks and money order). 

DONALD GALLERY OF ARTS & CRAFTS needs a book-keeper in the USA, ASIA and EUROPIANS countries, so we want to know if you will like to work online from home, getting paid weekly without leaving or affecting your present job? 

FLEXIBLE PROGRAM:One hour per day at your own choice, daytime OR evening time. 

WORK AT HOME:Act as a payment manager for our company in UK (Part-time) Professional contact team with very good support and communication skills.  OTHER HIGHLIGHTS:No selling involved, no kit to buy, we don't charge you anything 

COMMISSION:10% of every payment you processed. Money order / Check that is cashed instantly. is what you get from the total cashed amount. (EXAMPLE) If you receive a check of $10, 000.00 your net income is $1000.00. You will process at least 3-4 orders per WEEK. 

IMPORTANT:You must be 18 years of age and above. 

VERY IMPORTANT NOTE:We DO NOT ask you for any personal information, (Example) No bank names, No bank account number, routing number, credit card, passwords, SSN # etc. If anyone asks for those on our behalf , please do not give this informations out to anyone. This is to ensure your security and non involvement in cases of Identity theft. 

U.S, CANADIAN OR AUSTRALIAN CITIZENSHIP. If you meet these conditions do not wait to get back to us asap. 

EMPLOYMENT FORM 
First Name:
Last Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip Code:
Home Phone #:
Cell Phone #:
Email Address:
Present Occupation:

Please, kindly reply us at our personal email address: ( vickersartworks2010@hotmail.co.uk )

Note: Email address has been checked and is likely fictitious.

Also, considering the spelling errors, ("europians"?) and the uniquely American way of spelling "check" suggest that this documents does not have a UK origin.

I thought that the games that were being done by 419baiter.com were hilarious, its nice to see that someone is having fun at the scammers expense :)

Just a little story about a situation I've come across.......please move to appropriate location if I've posted in wrong area.

So I saw an ad in a local online selling place, advertising a vehicle for a very low price.  No doubt a hoax, but I with curiosity - contacted the listing person almost as a joke.  You never know when a disgruntled ex-wife will be selling off a cheating husband's assets (as the urban legend goes) -  :eek:.  The reply I receiving basically solidified my suspicion - but look what the person wrote to me:

Hello,

My name is (name omitted - just in case) and  and i'm a sergent in the Canadian Forces
This is a 2003 Cadillac  Escalade  in perfect conditions without any mechanical problems,
in mint condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions.
Has never been repaired, never been involved in any type of accident or had any paint or body work done!
The price for this car is $ 7,000 and all the shipping/handling and insurance charges are included in this price.
You will get the car with all the papers, original documentation, clear title and a bill of sale signed by me as well.
If you decide on buying it, I want the deal closed only through eBay's Vehicle Purchase program and
if you would like to go further with this deal, please email me and i will let you know more about the transaction.

Here is more info and more pics:

Engine: 6.0L V8 MPI
Trans: 4 Spd Automatic
Mileage: 94,790KM
Equipment
Air Conditioning
Power Steering
Power Windows
Power Locks
Heated Seat
Driver's Air Bag
Passenger Air Bag   
Title: Clear

20" custom chrome wheels, power sunroof, xenon headlights, naviagtion,
rear parking sensors, custom front chrome grill, rear spoiler, exhaust tips,
hardwood steering wheel, and 3rd row seating. Runs and drives absolutely perfectly.
Garage kept and maintained impeccably.

I should mention at this point that the ad was not listed on the site for more than a few hours before it was pulled.  No doubt a move my moderators after noticing the obvious.

Hmmmm....so I looked up this person's name on the DWAN - nope, no Sgt X anywhere.  But that doesn't make it concrete that he does not exist.  So I let it sit for a few days and emailed this person back asking if I could see the vehicle.  Here is the second response I received:

Hello again,

The car is in a warehouse of the shipping company, in Calgary, Alberta,
ready for delivery because I'm not in Canada for the moment and the pick it up option is not available.
There is nothing wrong with it ... I sell it at this price because i was sent with my unit for peace maintenance
in Barcelona, Spain, and i don't know for how long. About 250 members of the Canadian Forces are currently serving here.
They play a key role in the NATO-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF).
The transaction will be made under eBay's protection for our safety because i'm a verified member and
i have a purchase protection account of $ 20,000. The car will arrive to you with all the original documents,
including owner's manual, clear title,  bill of sale on your name and if it won't match with my description,
you will have 5 days to return it and i will pay for the shipping back. So ...i will need your full name,
shipping address, and a phone #, to prepare the shipping and contact eBay to start this transaction.
They will give you further instructions on how to complete this deal.
reply soon ..
  At this point, they attached some very nice photos of the vehicle.  In impeccable shape no less.  I don't know too many CF members who would sacrifice a 40-50 thousand dollar rig for a mere 7 grand. 

And that's about where I stand now.  Some might just say, "Ah don't worry about it.  Just ignore him".  But I think I'm more angry that this piece of garbage might be using the same tactics on some poor soul only to steal money from them.

Any comments, suggestions??  Figured there might be some pretty good heads around here with enough experience to know how to handle this.  Personally, I'd like to see someone in jail for potentially trying to tarnish a made up name & rank of a person who is thought to be serving his Country.  Of course it's more than likely that this person is in a far away land where they can hide their trail very easily from our laws.

Bin

I smell the lovely odour of poo emanating from that one.

Wow.

ISAF in Spain. What next? SFOR in Toronto?

Regards

Soldiers?  With guns?  In OUR cities?  I hope you're making that up......  :-\

A "sergent in the Canadian Forces " who can't spell his alleged rank, to boot.

Fraud. Have you reported him to the appropriate authority on that site?

Purchase protection account? Never heard of it. If he is referring to PayPal protection, the maximum they will cover a purchaser for is two thousand, not twenty as the seller is claiming. Here is a link to how it works if you want to see for yourself:

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=xpt/UserAgreement/ua/USUA-outside#pbp-policy

I hope you report the creep to Ebay. I'm certain it will not be the first time someone has tried to take advantage of the site so it seems logical that they already have measures in place to follow up on these things. Every fraud that is committed is bad for their business after all.

All in all, good for you for trusting your instincts. With the advancement of modern con-artists, sometimes the little hairs on the back of your neck are your best defence.

... I sell it at this price because i was sent with my unit for peace maintenance
in Barcelona, Spain, and i don't know for how long. About 250 members of the Canadian Forces are currently serving here.

:rofl:

I would buy it just for the fact they are on peace maintenance in Barcelona, Spain.   Lemme guess, they also were a member of the royal family of Lesoto, and because the the King was killed in coup, all the assets were frozen in Switzerland.  However if  you give them 10,000 dollars of Canadian dollars, you will receive 1.2 Billion gold francs.....

:rofl:

We get 'em all the time ....

dileas

tess

Calgary....man faking to be in the military...

John hill is selling his ride?

Recce By Death said:
I smell the lovely odour of poo emanating from that one.

Wow.

ISAF in Spain. What next? SFOR in Toronto?

Regards

I will sign up for the Spanish duty, better woman and wine.

Between the "sergent" and "peace maintenance" I surmise that the fella, whoever he is - is a francophone.....

Sergent for a francophone is OK
peace maintenance is a literal translation of "maintien de la paix"...

His being in Spain on an ISAF mission is RTFO but, some of the things said can be explained and make sense - if he is a francophone based out of Calgary.... and there are some of those over there...

geo said:
Between the "sergent" and "peace maintenance" I surmise that the fella, whoever he is - is a francophone.....

Sergent for a francophone is OK
peace maintenance is a literal translation of "maintien de la paix"...

His being in Spain on an ISAF mission is RTFO but, some of the things said can be explained and make sense - if he is a francophone based out of Calgary.... and there are some of those over there...

It does fit as I remember hearing how A LOT of these internet scammers are based out of Africa, so perhaps someone is sitting at their computer with a English/African-French dictionary looking up words. 

I think he would have been better off going for something a little more current though mission wise. 

I guess his organization is very organized.  ::)

Bin

One way to find out where he is, is open up the headers of the guys e-mail to you then using the DNS numbers, they work from Top Down. Copy and Paste these numbers into http://www.ripe.net/fcgi-bin/whois. It will then find the name of the ISP in question. If the guy says he's in Barcelona but his ISP is in Nigeria, you know it's phony.

ALMOST like the Nigerian letter scam, as pointed out in a post above...

Back