• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Shaving Superthread- All You Want and More....

zipperhead_cop said:
And if you really want to look all burly and stuff, shaving will make your beard come in thicker.  Personally, I wish I could go back to not having to shave.  If I want to be clean shaven at night that's me having to shave twice that day.  I should have been waxing my yap from the beginning.

Same here.I was 17 in basic and even though I didnt have to it was stated to me that you will shave every morning so I went through the motions every morning.Now at noon I have a beard poking through and rough.On leave....man what a beard!

I wonder if the military will pay for laser hair removal, just an idea.

I was just wondering while we're on the topic of facial hair, how come some members of the army can grow beards and not have to shave? They do not appear to be Sikh or Pioneers.

GGHG_Cadet said:
I was just wondering while we're on the topic of facial hair, how come some members of the army can grow beards and not have to shave? They do not appear to be Sikh or Pioneers.

It is called 'allergies' or in some cases another sever medical condition.  They have allergies to shaving cream, aftershave, razors, or some other item used in the process of shaving.  I could go on as to how some of these come to happen, but it is not ethical.  Medical Staff know what the reasons are and will prescribe a remedy. 

GGHG_Cadet said:

They're probably on medical chit due to skin iritations from regular shaving.

Off the cuff, people authorized to wear beards...
Pioneers (trade disco)
Sailors
Sikhs (you can ID them by their turbans

possibly Shiite muslims (have been out of units for a couple of years but, if the Sikhs can wear a beard for religious reasons, Shiites should also qualify)

then there are the ones with facial problems

Finally.. I get to say it....

It's good to be a female!

Ok, seriously.. if your face is apt to peeling layers of skin after a shave, then get yourself some (no laughing guys) Butt Paste (Shoppper's Drug Mart carries it) and apply it sparingly to your delicate cheeks (face ones).  The Butt Paste has boric acid in it as well as zinc oxide which promotes fast healing and protects the skin. 

Someone asked about straight razors? You can get them at any Crabtree and Evelyn store.  The one I bought DH was about 98.00 CDN and the store just ordered it in for me. DH loves it, nice balanced handle (apparently as important as having a nicely balanced knife..lol), and stays sharp. 

well... didn't Shanaia Twain use some sort of "udder balm/cream" to keep her peachy complexion

Go ahead...  If you want to get jacked up!!  Despite the advertising they DO NOT shave close enough.

elecgitarguy said:
are you allowed to use an electric razor in BMQ?

Go for it but you'll be the only guy in your platoon with an electric razor, that and you'll still need to buy a shaver to pass locker inspections.

bah razor burn... sure your not just shaving against the grain? lol OUCH if so...  :-\

I was once told to take a step closer to my razor in the morning.  I asked what that means and the friendly Sgt. said shave against the grain if you have to, this is basic not a beauty pageant.

Point in case, I shaved against the grain and I received major burning and ingrown hairs for about a month.  Then my skin got used to it, and I live happily ever after.

~Quag

Here's the best thing since toothpaste.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442618047&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302695889&bmUID=1161101745314

Sold at the PPCLI kitship I believe.
Used by many US personnel.
No clean up no gunk to clean up after.
Less to carry into the bush.

Edit: Won't freeze like shaving cream in winter.

Hmm.. that looks interesting...

How do you use it?  I assume you put a few drops on your razor blade?  It says 15mL lasts 100 shaves.  Thats pretty good bang for the buck!

I used to get nasty razor burn, switched to different razors (Gillette Mach 3) and different shaving cream (Gillette for Sensitive Skin) no problems now.

Reference the shaving oil, you wet your hands, put a few drops onto your hands, then rub it on your face. I've got a bottle in my shaving kit, it's good stuff, also hasn't caused me razor burn. Works well in the winter as well, when aerosol shaving cream freezes.

Okay, I admit: I didn't wade through every single post on this thread...but I'll throw in my two cents at the risk of going over something that's already been covered.

When I joined (infantry) in 1975, I got nasty razor burn, regardless of whether it was electric or a safety razor.  I got a chit fm the MO to "cease shaving".  My instructors were NOT terribly thrilled, but they accepted it gracefully.

The one major concern of course was NBCD training: how well was I going to get a respirator seal?  As it turned out, by keeping the beard short (i.e. whisker length of about a 1/4") I managed to achieve enough of a seal--for CS gas anyway--that it was no problem.  My cheeks and under my chin itched  where the mask sealed for a couple of days after doing the training, but it was nothing compared to the misery of the shaving rash.

As the years went by, my hide toughened up enough that when I finally took the beard off, it was okay.  So, for those who have this problem--LEGITIMATELY--I recommend the no shave chit.  You're going to have enough on yr plate w/out fussing over minor crap.

I imagine the razor burn thing is only a problem when you are on BMQ or in field with limited time, water, cream to shave with?

I know that my skin will pay the price during basic, I've never shaved every day, more like every second day. But hey, I had a good idea what I was getting into when I signed up so I'll deal with it. I just can not believe this thing has gone on for this long. I guess I'm not helping the matter with this post eh...lol

Back